Pain Meds...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, May 7, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I went off all my pain meds back in November. I had been on them a long time, & the dosages had gotten pretty high. I realized that in addition to everything else, the meds were making me sick & not actually helping anymore.
    So I went cold turkey & felt like I was gonna FREAKIN DIE for about 3 weeks. I didn't tell anybody what I was doing until the worst of it was over.

But now my pain is getting really bad again. I mean REALLY bad.

(I just realized that for the first time in my life, I'm talking to people who know what "really bad pain" actually means!!! Cool!!!)

Anyway... I'm lucky enough to have a doc who will rx pain meds when I need them.
    Now I need them again, but I don't want to get back on them.
    I know I can't just grit my teeth & gut it out much longer.

I know it's not logical, but telling Doc I need pain meds again, makes me feel like I've failed at something... I'm not even sure what it is I've failed at. That's just how it feels.

Anybody else ever feel like this?
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Needing pain medication has nothing to do with your moral character or how strong you are. You haven't failed, your DD has made your body need the medication.

I am sure you have told this to yourself but sometimes it helps to hear it from another person.

Before this DD, I would hesitate to take a NSAID for a really bad headache. Now I know differently.

Ultram has really helped with my pain. I have tried narcotics like vicodin before but they do not do the trick.

Wait, did I say it helped the pain. I meant it decreases the pain,LOL!!

Is your PH name from the "Pipi Longstocking" books?

Take care.

3. 3gs

3gs New Member

You actually do your body more harm by not taking pain meds if needed.

Your body tenses up and fights gets stressed out,it will take more meds to get on top of it then if you maintain.

Do understand what you mean tho. You have not failed at anything. I think its our way of feeling like WE conquered this dd because HAH I don't need pain meds...

don't try to tough it out--not good
  4. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Thanks for the support! Yeah, when I went off the meds it felt like a victory, like I'd really accomplished something. But now it feels like it wasn't any victory afterall.
    I am glad I had 6 months off the meds, tho. I was on it for 2 years straight when I quit, & I know being on it that long is dangerous for the liver, kidneys, etc.
    & I probably won't need as much, starting back. I had developed quite a tolerance to them.

To answer the question about my username:
    The people who gave me the nickname were referring to Pippi Longstocking. LOL I'm a little red-headed girl, & I have a little braided pigtail that kinda sticks out if I braid it too tightly, hence the nickname.
    Most of my neighbors have called me Pippi for the past 3 years. The funny part is, the 2 guys who started the whole Pippi-thing are known as "Spoons" & "Butter Bean". LOL!!!

Thanks again! :)
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This article is very interesting. I think I have posted it at least ten times. I don't dare ask how "Spoons" and "Butterbeans" got their names. Are they random friends, partners? I loved the Pipi Longstocking books.

Chronic Pain Can Damage Brain

People who suffer chronic pain have constant brain activity in areas of the brain that would normally be at rest, according to a new study at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine.

The study suggests chronic pain changes the way information is processed in the brain, and the findings could explain why those who experience long-term pain frequently suffer other symptoms such as anxiety, depression, sleep disorders, and difficulty making decisions.

During the study, researchers used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to scan the brains of 15 people with chronic low back pain and 15 pain-free volunteers while both groups were tracking a moving bar on a computer screen. Although the pain sufferers performed the task well, when researchers measured areas of the brain activated, differences emerged.

In the healthy brains all regions existed in a state of equilibrium -- when one region was active, the others quieted down. But in those with chronic pain, a front region of the cortex mostly associated with emotion "never shuts up," said Dante Chialvo, the study’s lead author and associate research professor of physiology at the Feinberg School. The region was stuck on full throttle, wearing out neurons and altering their connections to each other.

"The areas that are affected fail to deactivate when they should," Chialvo said.

"Where we were surprised is the difference in how much brain they used to do the task compared with the healthy group. It was 50 times larger," Chialvo told Reuters.

This is the first demonstration of brain disturbances in chronic pain patients not directly related to the sensation of pain.

When certain parts of the cortex were activated in the pain-free group, some others were deactivated, maintaining a cooperative equilibrium between the regions. This equilibrium is known as the resting state network of the brain. In the chronic pain group, however, one of the nodes of this network did not quiet down as it did in the pain-free subjects. Instead, a front region of the cortex mostly associated with emotion is constantly active, disrupting the normal equilibrium.

The researchers said disruptions in this default network could explain why pain patients have problems with attention, sleep disturbances and even depression.

This constant firing of neurons in these regions of the brain could cause permanent damage, Chialvo said. "We know when neurons fire too much they may change their connections with other neurons or even die because they can't sustain high activity for so long," he explained.

'If you are a chronic pain patient, you have pain 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every minute of your life," Chialvo said. "That permanent perception of pain in your brain makes these areas in your brain continuously active. This continuous dysfunction in the equilibrium of the brain can change the wiring forever and could hurt the brain."

Chialvo hypothesized the subsequent changes in wiring "may make it harder for you to make a decision or be in a good mood to get up in the morning. It could be that pain produces depression and the other reported abnormalities because it disturbs the balance of the brain as a whole."

"These findings suggest that the brain of a chronic pain patient is not simply a healthy brain processing pain information but rather it is altered by the persistent pain in a manner reminiscent of other neurological conditions associated with cognitive impairments," the researchers wrote in their report.

Chialvo said the study’s findings show it is essential to research new approaches to treat patients not just to control their pain but also to evaluate and prevent the dysfunction that may be generated in the brain by the chronic pain.

The study was supported by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, and is published in the Feb. 6 issue of The Journal of Neuroscience.

On the Net:

Northwestern University

Video: View evidence of brain disturbance in a chronic pain patient

Audio: Dante Chialvo, associate research professor of physiology at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine, discusses the study's possible implications on clinical treatments

Story from REDORBIT NEWS:

Published: 2008/02/06 12:30:00 CST

© RedOrbit 2005
  6. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

I always assumed my inability to think straight or make decisions when in pain, was caused by the pain being so distracting.
    It would be like trying to read a book while someone screamed in my ear.
    Naturally, I'd assume I could still read after the screaming stopped, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

This explains a lot!!!

& I don't know how Spoons & Butter Bean got their names. Butter Bean (we pronounce it Budduh-Bean) kinda looks like a butter bean. LOL! Sorta roundish. :D
    [This Message was Edited on 05/08/2009]
  7. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Every once in a while I decide to do something brave and go off a medication, bad mistake, at least for me.

I would rather function in my limited way, than not at all.

So back on the pills.
    Love Denamay

8. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I listened - REALLY listened - to your responses.
    I called Good Doc & made an appointment to discuss the sitch with him.

Thank you "everydobby"! :)
  9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Did you get started back on your pain meds?

I know I was stubborn about my pain meds when I first learned I had fibro.

I'm not sure what my reasoning was but I tried to only take it if I had to

well luckily that didn't last too long and I realized that the pain meds helped me
    to function

Gapsych thanks for posting that article about how pain effects the brain.
  10. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Yes. As of 2 days ago, I'm back on my meds.

And y'all were right. I sure didn't need the added stress of trying to be "tough enough" to "handle" the pain!

Thanx to all for your concern & your very wise advice!!!!!!

11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I was just going to sy if you go back on them, maybae you could start fairly low and slow as they say. However, I see you have already started.

Are you starting lowe or about where you left off when you quit?

You just have to do what is right for you. You do not need to suffer so !

12. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'm trying to determine what is the lowest effective dose. That's tricky, as pain levels can vary so much from day to day.

But, I've now had an entire week of pretty-much-ok pain control! :)

Thanks for caring!!!

PS: I got over feeling like I wasn't "tough enough" to do w/o my meds.
    Y'all really helped me come to terms with that emotion![This Message was Edited on 05/25/2009]
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Good to hear you are feeling better!!

My mother went through a Christian Scientist phase. I didn't think any of it stuck but something must have plus the pressure of society. Didn't even get the polio vaccine until college.

Enjoy this pain free or relatively better pain control.

Take care.

14. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Thanks, Gap!!!!!!

15. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

So glad to hear your feeling better .

very gentle hugs, Susan