Pain Mgmt Doctor question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pebbles730, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Pebbles730

Pebbles730 New Member

Hi fellow sufferers,

I have been reading your posts for awhile and it honestly has helped me so much. It is not nice that we all suffer from these diseases but it is nice to read that others have the same things you have. For awhile I thought I was becoming a hypochondriac (sp?). I thought I could never have all these things that I am feeling. i was diagnosed with CFS about 10 yrs ago when I was a sophmore in college. I was working two jobs, going to school full time and going to dancing school twice a week. I got mono during that time and I had to quit everything except school which I begged my doctor to be able to continue. I slept constantly and I don't remember much of that time at all now. I don't remember when the pain started exactly. I remember over the last year that i would be awakend during the night with terrible pain in my arms and legs. But it would take an hour and it would be over. Then recently when I would wake up in the morning, my ear would be in terrible pain if I had slept on it during the night..I thought wow this is so weird!! Continuing on a little while if I slept on my side not only would I have pain through my ear but now on that entire side of my body. Still I didn't think much about it. You have so many weird things with the CFS that I just figured it had something to do with that. But Saturday night I got the aching and pain in my arms and legs and it never went away. I spend three days and nights in agony waiting for it to go away. Tried everything over the counter I could which only resulted in my stomach getting upset but no pain relief. I sat here crying to my husband because I was so tired and I would lay away all night wanting to sleep but can't because of this awful pain. Finally he said either you go to the doctor of I am taking you to the ER. You can't live this way and I can't watch you do this. So off I went. Being that I had already been diagnosed with the CFS, the doctor did some blood work and when the results came back, all was normal. He right away said you have Fibro. So since then I have been managing with Tramadol and muscle relaxers. I do good most of the time, but there are days when nothing helps. I have to say, after being on the Tramadol, my life has really improved. I am able to face the world again and I can work and take my dogs for a walk and play with them. But on the bad days...well I don't have to tell you all. You already know :)

So finally to my question. I am seeing a pain mgmt doctor next week for the first time. I was wondering if anyone had advice on what I should be telling him, asking and what I should expect from seeing him. Thank you for reading my story and I am glad to be a part of this great group of people.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hello there!
    Everyone seems to have different experiences with pain management dr's.
    I would suggest you tell them everything you've told us and more. They'll have you complete lots of paperwork, if they haven't already sent you a package.
    I would tell them how your pain affects your daily life - that seems to be more effective then telling them how bad your pain is since that is rather subjective.

They'll probably do a urinalysis (or they did with me) - then you'll meet w/a nurse, then the Dr. to make a plan for treatment.

What to expect from him depends on what their philosophy is on treating chronic pain and fibromyalgia. They all seem to be rather different. Some prescribe pain medications, some will not.

A more important question would be - what do YOU expect from them?

My regular Dr. agreed to treat me after I went to a pain clinic once and didn't really jive with the Dr. (who she herself had Fibro!) I get along with everyone, but she was just kind of weird and I didn't think that long term she'd help me. She didn't like medication and I was already on some.

Hopefully this Dr. will be up on the latest pain treatments, be open minded and concerned about your quality of life!!
    Good Luck to you!
  3. Pebbles730

Pebbles730 New Member

Thank you for your response Jana,

I think what I expect from the Dr is to be able to be treated for my pain when the times are not bareable. My PCP seems a little hesitant to work on the hard hitting pain. I just moved after getting married, so I am seeing my husbands doctor and since I am a new patient I think that is why. He really doesn't know me or my background. He is a very nice man, but I think or atleast hope that a Pain Mgmt Doctor would help me out more and maybe even give me some information that my PCP didn't.
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

I wish you the best of luck.
    My experiences with several pain clinics was horrible.

Two siad they wouldnt treat me because Fibro and CFS are to wide spread pain wise. They seem to like back stuff mostly.
  5. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

Hi Pebbles. I am sorry to hear of the pain you are in. I know all too well what you are going through. I was dx with RA in 1999 and then Fibromyalgia in 2005. I had been seeing a Rheumy for the RA and he was prescribing a very low dose of percocet. But when the FM hit, he would not increase the dose and I could not take the pain any more. I found a wonderful Pain Doc just a few miles from my house and he has changed my life. He has me on Oxycontin and percocet for breakthrough pain.

Since seeing this pain doc since 2005, I am able to work full time and have a somewhat normal life. I know that not all pain docs are the same as some do not believe in prescribing narcotics for chronic pain. So I feel very fortunate to have found this doc.

One very crucial thing that you need to do is get copies of your medical records from your other doctors and either FAX them to this pain doc or at least take them with you on your first app't. Pain docs want to make sure that you do have a chronic pain problem, and are not a just a "drug seeker". It is preferable to get your medical records to this new pain doc before your first app't if possible so he/she can have a chance to review them before your app't.

I wish you the best of luck and am hoping this new doc will help you manage your pain. Please keep us posted as to how the appointment went.

gentle (((hugs)))

6. Pebbles730

Pebbles730 New Member

Thank you for your advice. It is so appreciated that you took the time to write this to me. I am sorry for your troubles as well.