Pain Mgmt MD Mean

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 00a7370, Jun 27, 2008.

1. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

I've been looking forward to going to Pain Mgmt Dr for almost two unrelenting years of pain!

My reputable Rheumy from USC gave me 20 mg Oxycontine - to take twice a day. I went from an 8 to a 4 and was actually able to go to the movies with my daughter yesterday.

I was taking for a week and I was thrilled. I cooked dinner for the first time in two years and was able to do a little around the house.

So, when I went to pain MD today I had high expectations that he would continue me on those pills or similar while he would work on other areas of healing.

Boy, was I wrong! I did not take a pill today because I did not want to mask my pain, so I was crying in his office in horrible pain.

He came in, did not mention the fact that I was crying. Looked at the 70 pg AME rheumy report and said sarcastically, "a 500 pg report on fibro?" Like it is not a big deal.

Then I told him that on Aug. 1 I have to have a repeat joint fusion of my left big toe that failed. I told him that I was in so much pain last time that they are going to hospitalize me this time.

And he said "you don't need pain pills for toes!"

When I had the first surgery I screamed bloody murder for two days and told him it was the most painful thing I'd ever experienced and I was on pain pills.

He just scuffed at it.

He wanted me to take Lyrica only. I told him that I just lost 60-70 lbs and I won't take something that makes me gain weight.

At that point (after 20 min.) he asked in an abrupt way - why I was crying. I said because "I'm in extreme pain and I have been frustrated for two years.

When I left I was devastated. He took my hope from me. My daughter is giving me a birthday party at her house tomorrow and I can't go w/o pain med.

She's having a little boy in Oct and I want to be there for the baby. I have hardly seen my 3-yr old grandaughter since my accident.

I called my w/c atty and was hysterical. He said don't worry. We'll get you a knew one that will be compassionate and help you with your pain.

I can't remember the last time I cried like that.
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey sorry about that, same thing happened to a friend of mine, they really hold the power don't they, I think they just get jaded and burnt out because they have seen it all and some people are scammers, they lose their compassion.
    We have a theory too, think about the sort of person that goes to medical school, their body has to be able to take abuse to put up with the b.s. indoctrination and hazing of awful rotations they put them through, so they must be the epitome of the pull yourself up by your bootstraps work ethic sort, and if they can handle all that I would think it must be hard to have sympathy because they just can't relate. Of course not all physicians are that way. But a friend of mine dated a guy im medical school a couple years ago and he confided in her that he and most colleagues didnt like getting pain or fibro type patients and they did feel like it was psychosomatic a lot of the time, they get desensitized when they see it all, all the time.
    Also if the doc is on the wrong side with a w/c comp case they try to pooh pooh you because thats what they are supposed to do.

keep us posted, I hope your atty can help! go to the newspapers do what you have to do take care of yourself whatever it takes.......
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You definitely need to take control and find a doctor who will treat your pain. There are these weird doctors that under-treat pain. This is malpractice in many eyes.

In this country, we are in the dark ages as respects to pain treatment. Trust me, there ARE pain doctors who are compassionate - I have had one for 5 years.

If you are in Los Angeles area, a excellent pain doctor is Dr. Rick Chavez

510 N. Prospect Ave., Suite 209
    Redondo Beach, CA 90277
    (310) 798-1633

He was director of pain institute at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Torrance.
  4. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

I know of Dr. Chavez and live in Torrance but he has to be on my W/C MPN and he's not.

I'm going to try this pain MD in Hawthorne on Rosecrans. I looked up his site and he seems very proactive. I hope he helps. He hs written a lot of books on the subject and all interns need to read his pain mgmgt books.

We'll see. Looks like he knows fibro well and does medicate. I'll keep you posted.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2008]
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Oh I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience. It's so disappointing when you're so hopeful for some help and you're left with nothing but tears.

My PCP referred me to a pain clinic. One of the physicians in her practice had left to go there and she highly recommended him. Unfortunately HE didn't treat fibro patients so I made an appt with another one of the doctors there. I asked all of the right questions - what methods of treatment does she use etc.

After visiting with the nurse, she told me that the doctor also had Fibro. Wow, how wonderful I thought. She's really understand me!

When the doctor came in I told her that although I was sorry that she had Fibro herself, I was kind of happy to hear it. She said "it's not a good thing - you can't get away with telling me I don't know how you feel." (or something like that) ummm. okay.

She then told me, that she doesn't like pain medication. She won't take me off what I am on - she'll let me take myself off of it. She said "anti-inflammatories and flexiril work best, but flexiril doesn't work for me". ummm okay. I'm allergic to anti-inflammatories and both my rheumy and PCP told me they are generally not effective anyway (unless you have inflammation which I don't). She then told me Lyrica works. "but it doesn't work for me" (her) ummmm. okay. (again) Yoga. I understand how that can be good for me, but believe me, I was in no shape to get in the floor and do anything but lay down and sleep.

I just didn't get a good feeling from her. I'm okay with different personalities, but she was just kind of weird. She contradicted herself a lot.

Thankfully my regular doctor agreed to treat me (write prescriptions for my pain medication) but I know she will only go so far. I'm very worried about when I will need something stronger.
    Unfortunately they are the only pain mgmt clinic in the area. It's already a pain in the neck to have to pick up my rx's every month.I am NOT complaining because at least I have a doctor who prescribes with no problem.

I hope you get some help, some relief and SOON. Read your post and wanted you to know I'm thinking of you!
  6. estasredit

estasredit New Member

I have finally plucked up the courage to go to a pain clinic. I was scared they'd take my codeine and buprenorphine patches away from me - they are the only thing i have found so far that give me pain relief. I say relief, they take the pain level from a 9 to a 6 but i'm grateful even for that.

I had a fascinating first consult with him - he understood, he cared, he knew what he was going to do and he told me there are many things we can try and and not all of them work but we will just have to work through them until we find one that works.

I have had three appointments now, two of which were where he did 'dry needling', where he inserted needles (7 of them) 3 inches deep into various muscles in my back (where my pain is worse). Sadly they didn't work. Next plan is a cortisone steroid injection into the back, so i'm waiting for an appointment for that.

He said continually not to worry, we will get this sorted. There are some very good drugs i can give you if the other things don't work.

I feel so lucky to have such a good pain consultant. He has written books on the subject of pain control and has a website, not advertising his books just articles on pain control and useful diagrams about how pain affects us. His website is - i hope it is useful: i certainly found some of the stuff on it fascinating.

7. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

I would order my pain meds online without a prescription. That's what I do.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Sassy2, don't be afraid. You may be one of the people that have a great experience! You'll never know until you try. It certainly can't hurt. You are not 'locked in' by any means. If you don't like them, feel a connection or feel like they are helping you, you don't have to continue going.

john - how can you order pain meds online w/o a prescription? Aren't you nervous about what you're getting? I didn't even know you could do that. ??
  9. simonedb

simonedb Member

yea so I have wondered about that ordering pain meds online thing, sounds too easy to be a good thing, must be a catch. purity probably unknown, although I read some scary news a couple years ago that said none of us really know for sure what we are getting even wth script because the regulation of meds is sort of lax, its not like your drugstore does a test on them to see if ingredients all pristeen, sort of like that dogfood from china.
    but is there a glitch with doing diy? some way to get in trouble?
  10. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

is in Long Beach, off of Willow. by the Memorial Hospital, and his name is Dr. ElKhoury.
    He is rather gruff, but he is understanding.

I usually see his Pain Nurse, after the first visit, and she is really nice, very understanding and will spend time talking to you.

I am now taking Norco10/350, which I feel works the best for me. I talked, She listened, altho, I did have to take some paperwork with me, that I found on the Internet, that had the information on, the dosage I wanted to try.

She talked to the Dr. and they agreed to let me have a RX for them.

Now I see them only every 3 months, but if I were on a Higher Prescription, I would have to go in every month for a new script.

When you go to a Pain Dr. be sure to take a list of all the Med.s you take, and also the ones you have already tried, but didn't help.

They, (all my Dr.s) wanted me to take Lyrcia, but it made me swell up, I have a lot of conditions that have Inflammation as a symptom.
    Also, I am not to sure about the Lyrcia, being all that safe.

Been on these type of Gapabin meds, Neurtion, etc. and they all made me sick and gave me nightmares.

I can clean my house, do my DH's laundry, I like to Iron, and go to the Pool, I also rest better because the Pain is under control, for the most part.

Boy do I get gabby, lol, anyway, don't give up on seeing a Pain Dr. It makes it easier on your Primary, because of all the red tape, with Pain Meds. these day's.

11. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

I haven't taken anything for pain in over a week and I don't take them unless I need them. But I am new to the Dr. I am seeing and didn't even want to ask for pain meds, so I looked online. The only one I have ordered and received is Tramadol.I have virus protection that tells if the website is safe and I just made sure it was considered a safe site and it is from a pharmacy in the U.S. It even has the drugstore address on the prescription bottle.
    The site just asked me a couple of questions about my health and meds I was taking and approved it. It was even less expensive than ordering locally.
  12. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

My rheumy RX'd one month of oxycontin 20 mg twice a day.

What a miracle! Only thing that has worked in 2 years. I had a stigma, like everyone else about taking it.

It has changed my life. I used to never be able to go anywhere or do anything w/o paying for it for at least one week of being bedridden and crying non-stop.

Well, I went to my daughters this weekend for my birthday. It's the first time all of my children and grand daughter where at the same place at same time in a very long time.

I draw, and haven't been able to for two years because of carpal tunnel. My grandaughter (3 yrs) and I sat down at at a table and I drew her Dora The Explorer and Mariposa Barbie. She was so excited and put them on her wall.

She drew some pictures for me and I have them on my fridge.

I was crying this time out of happiness. That moment would have been stolen from me if I did not have the pills.

It takes me from a 9 to a 4 or 5. But what a difference.

The rheumy only RX'd one month and I'll be out soon and have surgery to correct botched joint fusion of great toe on 7/25 and will be hospitalized for a couple of days.

If I don't get into see pain MD before I run out I'll want to die.

I was against pain meds till now and I wholly understand the need for them now.

None of us knows how long we have and I refuse to spend my remaining years housebound and unable to do anything.

I think I will be able to do some swimming now. So, why not let me live my life.

Thank all of you for caring. It makes me cry.
  13. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I hope I don't spend my entire appointment having to hear about Celebrex, Lyrica, Cympbalta, Elavil, yadda, yadda. I know what works and what doesn't. If I get bad vibes from him, I won't go back and keep looking until someone has compassion.

However, I could be getting all worked up over nothing. He could be great! I just need to count the days til Friday since I hurt pretty bad and my primary only gave me a very small amount of Vicodin.
  14. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

sorry you had to go through that with the pain md that is not right at all~ no one should be treated that way ever.
    So glad the oxycontine is working for you.

So far I'm been lucky that I have been able to get pain meds from my primary doctor. He gave me a prescription for tramadol which is helping bring the pain levels down on a bad day so I can function, which has been wonderful for me.
    I tried to take cymbalta but it made my stomach burn like I was getting a stomach ulcer so I didn't take it anymore, I didn't need to add that to my list of symptoms.

Gentle hugs for you, Susan

Texan ~ positive thoughts for your appt on friday. Smile
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2008]
  15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am so sorry that you had such a horrific experience.

If you google: ScienceDaily Chronic Pain Harms Brain, there is a good article that tells why being in pain can actually cause brain damage.

Good luck,
  16. simonedb

simonedb Member

in doing my research on LDN I stumbled upon a website that also had people kicking oxy and heroin etc
    That sounds like a nightmare:

HOWever, I agree, if you have chronic pain and cfs stuff its better to treat it however you need to so it works.
    I am guessing once you go that route though you are somewhat committed, the problem isnt being on them when you have true chronic pain, its being without them, and if you go off you really need some space and resources to make yourself as comfortable as possible.

I suspect that if one doesnt have chronic pain or cfs that abusing opiates can induce it, from my research it seems to tie in like a form of chemical insult, turns brain around sometimes permanently. But if your brain is already turned around, wth, might as well go for it.
  17. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

It is when docs say "opiates" really don't help FM. Do THEY have FM? If they don't, then how the heck can THEY know? I know when I have a lot of pain, I can take one and it sure helps my pain. It is just like the male doctors who tried to tell women that labor really doesn't hurt that much. It makes you want to shove an extremely large object where the sun don't shine and say "oh no, that hurts? Here, take a tylenol".......

I may just pack up and move to France where they can drink wine for breakfast and buy codeine over the counter and no one is ready to sign them up for Betty Ford.