Pain, no sleep, help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by conrskin, Aug 29, 2002.

1. conrskin

conrskin New Member

Am having a really hard time lately and could use some help. I work full time, but am missing alot of work lately due to migraines, insomnia etc. I started magnesium sups and digestive enzymes 2 weeks ago, no significant difference yet. Was put on 10mg Flexeril, didn't work, so upped it to 20mg 2 nites ago. It now is wiring me totally, tons of body pain, racing heart and insomnia. I'm fairly recently divorced and have to work full time and don't know what to do to deal with this and still get to work at 0700 in the morning. I feel so frustrated, tired and need of a good cry today. This is not the "ME" I know. Please help!
  2. conrskin

conrskin New Member

Am having a really hard time lately and could use some help. I work full time, but am missing alot of work lately due to migraines, insomnia etc. I started magnesium sups and digestive enzymes 2 weeks ago, no significant difference yet. Was put on 10mg Flexeril, didn't work, so upped it to 20mg 2 nites ago. It now is wiring me totally, tons of body pain, racing heart and insomnia. I'm fairly recently divorced and have to work full time and don't know what to do to deal with this and still get to work at 0700 in the morning. I feel so frustrated, tired and need of a good cry today. This is not the "ME" I know. Please help!
  3. azcrum

azcrum New Member

an antidepressant yet? I take it because it helps me sleep the whole night without waking up 100 times. It has something to do with your seratonin level in your brain. I take Effexor. No side effects and it works. Being recently divorced and stress could play a factor with migraines and no sleep. I get headaches too but they are not migraines. You deserve a good cry. I would talk to your doctor about this. Maybe he could suggest something. Have you thought about going on Disibility? Something to think about.
    Good luck
    Pam
  4. jeanann

jeanann New Member

you are having such a hard time. Sounds like me last year. Perhaps some time off to relax and get to the doc to see what kind of sleeping aide he would suggest. Or call the doc and explain whats going on with your sleep and pain. Wow if i had to be somewhere on time and be dependable i could not. Divorce is stressfull and they tell us to keep sress out of our lives, RIGHT! Crying is good it releases alot of energy. Go ahead cry, sounds like you have good reason. this disease does take our "Me" and make us change it. Keep coming to this board, Let us love you and be your support. love jean ann (((((((HUGS)))))))))
  5. homeskillet19

homeskillet19 New Member

Hi Hon,
    I am so sorry you are going through all of this!!!!
    Honey stress can play havoc with you and your body, I know it is hard but you have to try to destress, it takes a harder toll on us then the norm!
    talk to your doctor and see what he/she suggests and in the meantime, take some steps to help destress, I know it sounds so simple but take a bath, put 2 cups of epsom salt in your tub....epsom salt is magnesium and so it will relax your muscles and give you better circulation so the blood and oxygen can get to them and once a week I add 3 bottles of hydrogen peroxide to my bath and then not only do i get the relaxation of the magnesium(epsom salt) but it adds oxygen to your body and that is only a good thing when it comes to your muscles....when you have the epsom salt/peroxide bath only soak for 20 minutes no longer and when you get out you will need to go lay down, because your muscles will be soooooooooo relaxedLOL
    also get a floatie noodle the ones you use in the swimming pool and cut it to the lenght of your tub, it makes a great tub pillow, so then you can just float that stress away!!!!
    for sleep I take melatonin, it will help you get to the stage four sleep that I am sure you are not getting....during stage four sleep our bodies heal and that is what we need, time for the body to naturally heal.
    I get my melatonin at walmart, in the vitamin isle for about $3 dollars for a two month supply, it does not work for eveybody but it has helped me alot!!!!
    I hope you get to feeling better!!!
    Your friend,
    Denise
  6. nathan

nathan New Member

Hey, I stay up late every night. I've always been a insomniac, but my doc gives me trazadone and it does the trick. It is a tricyclic antidepressant and in small doses it puts you right out without any fuzz in the morning. I find it is a 6 hr. half-life. meaning it is lost in the body's excretal system after 6 hrs' it's effect has worn off. It has saved me from night after night no sleepers and then all kinds of other things begin to take hold, pain, sheer pain for one. I hope this helps, melatonin is one I've heard of, I would try it first, as it is OTC, trazadone (generic) deseryl(name brand) is prescription. Another good sleeping aid is Vistiril. It is an anti- inflammatory anti itch med too. It helps with the itching side effect of some narcotic pain killers. I hope this helps, Cheers! nathan
  7. majic

majic New Member

i use valarian root for sleep. i seem to go thru these stages where i don't sleep for anything. i keep a journal and looking back thru my journal i see it is always around the full moon. i had this problem a couple of weeks ago. if you want to pull the post up just type sleep in the search box. hope you find the help you are looking for. majic
  8. Suncatcher

Suncatcher New Member

I'm sorry things are so tough. I, too, have to work. I am divorced. Working is so difficult when you feel so lousy. My thoughts are with you. I hope you feel better soon.
  9. conrskin

conrskin New Member

Denise and everyone else that has sent responses to my email, thank you all so much!! I'm overwhelmed by the love and support I've been getting since becoming one of you. You are all so supportive, understanding and caring!

Denise, you especially hit the nail on the head. Stress is a biggie for me and has always been hard for me to deal with. I'm definately gonna try the bath idea this weekend. Talked to my doctor earlier today and she was very sympathetic to what I'm going through, thank goodness. She is prescribing Trazedone for me to try. Can't hurt, might help. But first, I think I will try the Melatonin for sleep, as its non prescriptive. I'm getting gun shy, as it is so important for me to get some sleep so I can make it to work! My doctor also really emphasized how important exercising is, in dealing with FMS. Boy is that a hard one, as I'm either too fatigued or in too much pain. I also find myself getting very resentful the worse I feel, because so many doctors don't understand, don't want to understand or simply don't care. I can't understand how there can be so many of us worldwide that have this and other related conditions, and we're having to fight to get taken care of.

Sorry to ramble, anyway, thanks everyone. Your the best!!

Your friend,

Sheri
  10. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

Has saved my hide, otherwise my facial pain would keep me awake. When I get very shallow sleep, my pain increases and I move thru the day like a lost Eskimo in a blinding snow storm. You got to catch the ZZZZ's, so I hope your doc can work with you to insure you get restful sleep. Nighty,nite! Al