Pain only in feet, hands and shoulders

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pstps, Jul 16, 2008.

1. pstps

pstps New Member

Hi everyone,

For over a year I have been going back and forth between this site and the Rheumatiod Arthrits site. About 18 months ago I woke up and could hardly walk on my feet they were so painful. Then I had pain in my hands and shoulders. When I wake up everyday my shoulders are so painful that it takes around 3 hours for them to feel better. The Rhemy Dr. I went to was leaning towards Rheumatoid Arthritis but last month she said I had FM. I'm asking because I don't see to many people complaining of only pain in these 3 areas.
    When all of this started I was only having what I call "attacks" every 3 months or so. But, one started 3 months ago and has not gone away. Does anyone else have pain in only these 3 areas? I also have no problem sleeping but still feel tired when I awake and go thru bouts of extreme fatigue. If this sounds familiar to anyone, please let me know how or what you take to deal with the pain. Thank-you, Pgf
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Feet, hands, and shoulders are my primary pain areas as well. Now accompanied by migraines and occasional costocondritis. Lovely!! I am also starting to suspect that I may have psoriatic arthritis due to changes in my fingernails and a long history of psoriasis that waxes and wanes. I will see the rheumy next month.

My fibro actually went into full swing the first time starting with sleep disturbances, which I believe contributed to the extreme fatigue. I have had flares since then, but never with the extreme fatigue that I experienced with the first flare. I'm going through a flare of sorts right now and, even though I'm sleeping, I awaken feeling as if I've had the wind knocked out of me. Not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination.

My shoulders have been hurting alot lately--more than in the past. I feel better if I go to bed with a long sleeved shirt on--the a/c blowing on me makes me very stiff in the morning, and it takes a few hours for me to feel 'normal' or as close to normal as I can get. I really hate this. I take anything I can for the pain--Motrin, Alleve, and my newest discovery, Goodys Headache Powders--wonderful for pain. I stopped taking all of my supplements for awhile but now I am starting a new regimen; multi vitamin (dye free), grape seed extract, omega 3, and calcium. I also find daily pomegranate juice helps.

HURTIN New Member

Hi Pstps

My Rheumy prefers to call it "shoulder pain", when in all actuality , the pain I experience is under my shoulder blades. This pain is somewhat of an aura for me because it triggers a flare-up. I hate it when this pain surfaces because my flares are never less than 3 months. Arrrgh
  4. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Thats where i started with and most days still the pain is primary, when you say its should it actually goes around the shoulder blade

Hands mainly stiff and feet on top of or on the bottom of the fet, can hardly walk now and only can when on lots of pain killers

you are NOT alone me darlin!!!!

I too have extreme bouts of fatigue and find when stressed end up in bed for 2 days and then maybe have half, half day

I hope this makes you feel not so alone

angel hugs and blessings

5. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

Did you take any fluoroquinilone antibiotics around the time or just before you began having these unrelenting pains?
  6. pstps

pstps New Member

Hi cbs1234,
    Tell me what you know about quinolones and feet, hand and shoulder pain. After I read your note I cked with the pharmacy and realized that I had take Factive, and levoquin eight times in the past 21/2 years. I wonder if my tendons have been compramized in these areas. I told my rhematologist, but she had never heard of this happening. I told an orthopedic and he agreed. I also found many many sites that people are on that say these antibiotics have cased terrible rips in there tendons which in turn have caused them terrible pain. Has this happened to you? and thanks for the suggestion.