Pain Or Fatigue?? Which is worst?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HppeandMe, Nov 15, 2005.

1. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Hi I am wondering if you would say that your number one complaint is pain or fatigue.If neither let us know what. With that can you please tell us if you feel you have CFIDS, FM, Lyme or a combination of any.

Just to let you know mine is Fatigue and I have CFIDs as well as being very suspicious for Lyme.
  2. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

My doctors use to ask me that and I would ask myself that because they seem to get mixed up. I was always in so much pain -- it would be the left side of my neck and on down the back or it would be the right side. The stiffness was always there too.

BUT, I was soooo tired all day long -- so I never could decide which was worse.

Now I know --- its from lyme disease. It just eats away at you until you feel like nothing is left.

I'm soooooo glad to have a diagnosis finally after years of thinking I would have to live with it.

If you are suspicious that it is lyme, don't wait but get tested through Igenex. Waiting just gives the lyme more of an opportunity to get embedded in your body.

Sandy
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Well, from my fibro, cfs, lupus, diabetes, and heart problems, I would have to say that the fatigue affects me the worst. It is overwhelmingly crippling for me. I cannot raise my arms. I can not walk from my house outside to my car.

However, for my arthritis all over my body, and all my back problems (see my bio), the severe pain is debiliting. The pain is so back in my back that I can not stand up more than 5-10 minutes. I used to be able to stand up for 20-30 minutes; however, after getting this pinched nerve in my back this summer, it's down to five minutes. And .... with the horrific pain from my back, going down into the bones of my legs, I can not walk from my house outside to my car.

When you combine the fatigue with my pain, I am almost housebound. I'm getting desperate--I have to do something soon to get around better.

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

No thought necessary there for me. Being tired, exhausted whatever, would be better if pain free.

Hugs,
    Jen
  5. kaymac

kaymac New Member

When I am not in pain, I am toooooo tired to do anything! The tiredness or fatigue is always there. I am just dragging. I can take pills for the pain which help some, but nothing for the fatigue. It is like a weight tied around my neck all the time.

kaymac
  6. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

My pain level and fatigue levels correlate. When the pain is bad, so is the fatigue. When I am feeling less tired, the pain does not seem to be as bad.
  7. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

If I am sleeping 18 hours or more a day and still feel exhausted I would probably say it is the unrelenting fatigue....

but when I am sleeping better I tend to think maybe it was the pain that was keeping me up....

the truth is I am not sure.

sigh
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'd have to say pain is at the bottom of my list, depression is the worst and after that MCS handicaps me the most.

Jeanne
  9. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I don't think I could pinpoint one or the other. FMS is my disease and when I am in pain, the fatigue is awful too but some days, I seem to have the fatigue even when I am not hurting too bad so I would have to say it is about 50/50 with me. Just wish it would go away at least thru the holidays so I could do the decorating and enjoy them like I used to do for my family. It has been so long.
    My family wants to go to the Biltmore Mansion in NC to see the Christmas decorations but a friend just returned from there and said that you have to climb a lot of stairs and I know that is out of the question. Does anyone know if the mansion is handicap equipped? I could always rent myself a wheelchair for the trip.
    Stinker56
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2005]
  10. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

that I can always take something to help with my pain but the fatigue just stops me in my tracks.

Until a few months ago I could not have answered this question but now that I have actually experienced a terrible bout with fatigue I am so far behind I think I am in first:)

Kelly
  11. paintinglady

paintinglady New Member

what came first the chicken or the egg. Impossible for me to answer. On some days when I'm more tired than in pain, I get frustrated because I'm not hurting and want to catch up on my to do list. On other days when I'm in more pain, I'm frustrated because I have some energy to do things but it hurts to much to do it.

I'm new here and I was wondering what is the lyme you all are talking about? Is this the lyme disease you can get from ticks? If it is what are those symptoms like? Sorry for the dumb questions. This is all new to me.
  12. acesk

acesk New Member

I have Fibro and it's the pain - I'm not as tired on the days I don't have as much pain!

Sue in Florida
  13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I can handle most anything when I am rested. The fatigue is so sapping it stops me from coping...mind doesn't work, emotions edgy, etc. I also then feel guilty because I am cranky, unproductive, etc. A real cycle because that makes me feel more fatigued thinking about what I'm not doing, and on and on we go. AAGH!

I would have to say for me it's the fatigue. Thankfully I have been sleeping better lately, and I am so relieved to actually wake up and know I've slept the night. When the alarm wakes me up, that is a good sign.

So...my Vicodin takes the edge off the pain...just the edge, but when I'm rested, that's enough to at least accomplish some things. When I'm not, nothing seems to help me do anything.

Good question.

Sue
  14. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I have FM, and although there are times when I really hurt, I can TAKE something for that and it gets better. The fatigue is always there, always limiting me, and there's nothing I can do about it.

So for me, I hate the fatigue worse than the pain.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  15. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I have FM/CFS and on almost any given day I would say that the overwhelming fatigue is worse. Unless I'm in a flare (because then the pain is usually worse), the fatigue makes everyday things very, very difficult. And the meds, etc. don't help at all with the fatigue. So, for me the fatigue impacts me more on an everyday basis and is harder to deal with. Plus the fatigue makes the pain worse and harder to deal with too.

16. adberens

adberens New Member

I have CFIDS and the fatigue is the worse for me. I can live through the pain but the constant fatigue that makes me want to do nothing but stay in bed is overwhelming. It takes over my life.

Right now I am in a flare and I am so frustrated. We are supposed to drive from Virginia to Richmond to see family for Thanksgiving. This is always stressfull but it is going to be awful starting it in the hole. I was feeling better a while ago and over committed myself. Now there are things I must do that I can't get out of.

Great question!
  17. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Boy, that is a hard one, but if I had to pick one pain would be first followed closely by fatigue. I am also over weight and that is probably causing the fatigue to be worse.

I'm on a diet, but I cheat so much I'm not losing too fast.

No point in me being checked for Lyme as all my lab tests have to be done by Lab Corp and we do not have to pay anything for that. I really think my FMS is a result of an injury to my neck in 1995. I really don't believe I have Lyme.

Hugs to all,
    Faye