Pain, Pain, go away---anyone w/advice for back pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tired42long, Aug 29, 2002.

1. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi all,
    I am having a really hard time dealing with upper back pain. I had posted about 3 weeks ago about stabbing type pain in upper middle back. Have had some cardiac issues but have been told are not major and is not cause of this. I was in ER 3 weeks ago and doc thought it was something with "chest wall" or referred pain. I thought it was just another virus settled in back muscles. But it feels so deep I just wonder WHAT it is.I was given antiinflammatory for it. IT IS NOT GOING AWAY. I called dr office for help and they said to go off antiinflam. drug and try pain releivers, moist heat, etc. I have been in the shower more in the last week than in the entire YEAR!!! Heating pads, moist heating pad, try to stretch it out with reaches over head ect...no help. I have appt. with Chiro in 2 weeks...no sooner appts. But what can I do til then? Sleep is even toughter now, and I am becoming a basketcase. My family has seen no resemblance to the REAL me in weeks. Please give advice. (I would like to try non-narcotics first...but if I have to get RX, what is safe and not so strong as to KNOCK you over? I have little kids I need to help with and keep track of!!Thanks for any help.EILEEN
  2. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi all,
    I am having a really hard time dealing with upper back pain. I had posted about 3 weeks ago about stabbing type pain in upper middle back. Have had some cardiac issues but have been told are not major and is not cause of this. I was in ER 3 weeks ago and doc thought it was something with "chest wall" or referred pain. I thought it was just another virus settled in back muscles. But it feels so deep I just wonder WHAT it is.I was given antiinflammatory for it. IT IS NOT GOING AWAY. I called dr office for help and they said to go off antiinflam. drug and try pain releivers, moist heat, etc. I have been in the shower more in the last week than in the entire YEAR!!! Heating pads, moist heating pad, try to stretch it out with reaches over head ect...no help. I have appt. with Chiro in 2 weeks...no sooner appts. But what can I do til then? Sleep is even toughter now, and I am becoming a basketcase. My family has seen no resemblance to the REAL me in weeks. Please give advice. (I would like to try non-narcotics first...but if I have to get RX, what is safe and not so strong as to KNOCK you over? I have little kids I need to help with and keep track of!!Thanks for any help.EILEEN
  3. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I also have most of my pain in my upper back, neck, shoulder blades. For temporary relief, a nice soak in an Epsom Salt bath does wonders. Unfortunately, for me, the pain comes back within 10 minutes of being out of the bath. The only other thing that helps me is precription drugs. I take Norco (hydrocodone) 10/325 along with Flexeril (muscle relaxer). Neither of them "knocks me over", but then I've been on them so long that I've become immune to those symptoms. If it's extremely bad I take a Percocet w/muscle relaxer and does relieve the pain and sometimes takes it completely away. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. The heating pad, moist heat, etc., does nothing for my pain. But try a Epsom Salt bath. It is very relaxing and soothing. Good luck. Hope you find something soon. I'm sure others will be along shortly to give you advice/opinions.

Regina
  4. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hey, thanks for info. I will try the Epsom salts. I read in this CFIDS/fms book that this is also a part of program to detoxify the body. I hope I can get a half hour alone without kids in to bath! As for drugs, I guess I am going to have to bend down to the pain...I cant take it anymore---makes me so nauseous. Like it did with lower back pain befor I had fusion surgeries. I did take some narcotics then...that was in the late 80's, I just wondered if there was anything new. I also did try the flexeril back then...it did make me so loopy I felt like my legs were rubber. It was a good feeling to be free of pain, but I couldn't focus on anything. One night I was wrking on x-stictch and didn't even remember doing it. Ya shoulda' seen my project the next day!!!LOL. I think I just have very slow metabolism and drugs stay in forever and build up. I will just have to start slow. Thanks so much. I can't beleive we are in this much pain. For me it's mostly extreme fatigue, immune system shot, and feeling brainless; the pain comes with flares. If I were an animal in this much pain I think they would shoot me!!!
  5. granmama

granmama New Member

Hello Eileen,
    Years ago, I had lower back surgery, then rehab.
    I never had any pain in my upper back till after the surgery. I was told my upper back was compensating for the lower back by protecting it and it was stressing the upper back muscles.
    They had me lie down, roll a towel (like a tube) and place it between my shoulder blades on the spine. Your head should be slightly elevated, like on a flat pillow and knees up, feet flat on bed.
    I found it was very relaxing and after 10 minutes, the pain was gone. Sometimes, I actually dozed for those brief minutes.
    I still use this therapy occasionally.

Good luck to you,
    granmama
  6. jeanann

jeanann New Member

all the advice is really good. I get the same thing. My chiro is great, gets me in when it is an emergency, call and tell him its an emergency he should get you in. I take my pain meds and get in a hot tub or go to a massage therapist or have a friend or family memeber try to relax your muscel. I am having a good day so far. Have had severe pain days. I am taking gaui and i think it is paying off. Anyway hang in there tired. ((((HUGS)))jeanann
  7. Deana

Deana Guest

Hello,
    My problem started as low back pain but Iget this pain that feels like(I know it sounds weird but cant describe better) like a something stuck to my upper back like a sucky tight pain that continues to almost unbearable . I havent really found anything to change but it usually goes away,sometimes sooner some later.

I had seen a post awhile back about epsom saltss and peroxide together in a bath it helps with achy muscles and stiff but not the stuck feeling .

I just wonder if my upper back hurts compensaating for lower?

Good luck hope your able to get some relief.

Deana
  8. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Thanks for the advice. I am wondering abot the peroxide...what is it supposed to do? I also wonder about the overcompensating lower back. I had 5 surgeries---fusions and hardware in lower back between 82' and 87'. I was told that other farther up spine areas may weaken a bit...with the fusing of the lower section it just puts more pressure on the bending area above. But I have not had this type of pain in the last years since late 80's. It has to be a part of this disease. Unless I am just holding THAT much stress in that area. I can't beleive the intensity of the pain...this from a woman who had 6 kids (one being csection), 5 back surgeries, a tubal ligation and a reversal of that...and of course growing up with 5 brothers...I am no stranger to pain Ha Ha! But OMG...this just kills me! I am trying the rolled towel technique tonight..I hope it helps. My family is tired of doing the electric massager on me. They get a workout from it cause I'd have them do it for hours if they would. Even my 5 yrear old says..."am I done yet". Such a slave driver, huh.? Thanks again. You may have helped save my sanity, at least til I can talk to doc. Pain is the devil.