PAIN PAIN PAIN FREAKING OUT Please help Right now

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slangx, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Slangx

Slangx New Member

OMG you guys, I can't stand it! I'm panicking, I'm in soooo much pain I'm really about to lose my mind!

I am at work - I just missed monday & last friday, so I hate to go home. But I AM FREAKING OUT!!!

I've already taken 4 soma, 80mg oxycontin, and a prednisone. My neck & shoulders are BURNING and my head is killing me & my eyes are about to pop out. I'm getting nauseous.

I don't know what to do!!!

Someone who is in a better frame of mind right now, please please please talk me down from this - please someone tell me some wonderful thing I can do right now to get some relief, please??

Thank you.
    C.
  2. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi Slangx,
    I'm in relapse right now and my shoulder and neck muscles are in severe pain. Last night I used progesterone cream (I'm in perimenopause) before bedtime and my shoulders and neck pain has gone down quite a bit. I hope I'm starting to come out of relapse. My shoulders have been so tight that I've been experiencing vertigo and balance problems.

Love, Jasmine
  3. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I wish I had some wise words for you but I don't. I hope you can hang in there but if you can't take it just go home. I know you don't want to but your health is important too!!

Some days the only thing that gets me through the day is breaking time down into tiny increments. Like I tell myself at 9:00, "okay I'll hang on until 9:15 then I'll go home if I need to" and at 9:15 I'll give myself until 9:30, etc. If I make it to lunchtime, I go take a nap in the car and start all over with the afternoon hours. It's so hard though, I know. I have felt exactly like you do now so many times and I feel so bad for you right now.

I'm sending hugs your way, and hope you get some pain relief soon!

Kat
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

is take a 5 minute break close your eyes and try to bring yourself to a place where you only hear one thing,picture one thing and slow your your breathing-one by one try to relax everything in your body-hope this helps.Linda
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

What you have to do is this, exactly what I am about to do. Lie down, take a nap. You cannot do that at work, I happen to be home, so I can.

Even if you had other days off, if your pain is this bad, I would think you should apply for disabioity.

I don't know how to help you, except to say, is there any place there you can ask to lie down for an hour?

I feel so badly for you.

Hugs and love and feel better. I would really try and get home.

Love Anne C
  6. Slangx

Slangx New Member

is driving me crazy. BURNING BURNING BURNING in my neck & tops of shoulders-- which are rock hard, btw.

What the hell is this burning??? I hate it, can't stand it. I get this burning when I'm really really bad. (in a flare?)

What is it?? Muscle pain? Nerve pain? WHAT??? And how come 80 mg oxycontin won't even take the edge off?? It feels like if I go get my neck cracked, then it would release, or "let out" whatever's causing the burning.

My doc is out of town this week though. Last week I was so tight he couldn't crack me, then I was in so much pain afterwards so he gave me a trigger point injection a couple days later, which was Friday. It's not even been a week since the TPI - I had soooo hoped for longer relief from it!!

I know I am panicking, so I will do what you said & try to find a "place" in my mind....

7. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Breath... slow down your breathing.. Ok.. the nauseua.. have you eaten anything? if I take pain killers on an empty stomuch they will come back up everytime.. just a couple of crackers or something to help absorbtion.
    I know it is hard.. I work full time too.. hard to be on when you are hurting.. But seriously.. I got through two natural childbirths by breathing.. it helps with pain too..
    Focus on your breathing and calm yourself. Go in the restroom or outside for a few minutes if you can and just do what you can to get a grip. Wash your face, put a cool damp papertowel on the back of your neck.. Don't take any more meds without eating..
    Hugs honey.. hope you feel better..
    dona
  8. Slangx

Slangx New Member

thank you, I am doing that. trying so hard.

Yes, I ate breakfast.
    I'm really thirsty, but water is just sitting in my stomach.

9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

C:
    Give yourself time to let the meds work. You could even call the doctor. Mine (when I call) will authorize me taking a bit extra of something when in extreme pain. (If the doctor is out of town, there is usually a doctor on call).
    But remember: you have meds in you and some of the distress should decrease.

I know it is easier said than done, but think about something calming and pleasant. Take a deep breath.
    Yes, pray.
    You WILL be OK.

Hugs,
    N.F.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006]
  10. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

Can I ever relate, I am home on my lunch now and debating to go back. I was off last week and it was wonderful to be able to really take care of myself. What is helping me with my shoulder/neck pain is one of those bags that you put in the microwave. I have one in my desk drawer and one at home - don't want to be without one - I am taking ibuprofen 600 mg and it is not even touching it. I am newly diagnosed and feel like I have been in a flare since November, is this the norm???
  11. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I too work full time. Just last week I left work early in tears after managing to work through the pain most of the day. I have no time off left for the year - and it isn't even April - so, at least you are not alone.

I think the Ben Gay rub, or a heating pad might help. Therma Care has some disposable heat patches that you can stick to you for the shoulder & neck area. They aren't cheap, but they do work. They last all day. So, if heat helps you & you need something you can put on under you clothes & wear all day, you might try these. I love them.
    The good, old fashioned heating pad always works too.

Have you done some gentle stretches? That also usually helps me when I'm really bad in the neck/shoulder area - which is frequent since I'm on a computer all day - as it seems you are too.

If you can't make it - GO HOME & REST. Only you can be the judge of if you can make it or not. I don't know how long it's been since you took your meds, but maybe they haven't started working to their full effect yet? Just a thought.

EAT SOME CHOCOLATE.

Take care,

Leanne
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i can't sleep because of it...i am burning from head to toe and it hurts just to have the sheets lie on my skin...i think it is my new antidepressant i searched it on mayoclinic this morning...and found that what i have been experienceing since march first fits...

rare side effect muscle spasm between should blades neck back...low back ...i feel like i did when i had shingles right now...i just want to cry...

why am i so sensitive to medications i thought this one was going to be it...but this one is making me have heart burn and ringings so bad...bp up and pulse increased...

i have to go to my son's track meet at 3 pm...and it may be raining out there...i took a sleeping pill half the dosage to hopefully get a nap...

i had a neck wrap w/ice in mine this morning...help little...
    i just got a call from my psychaitrist...he told me to lower may ad''to five mgs...

but lay on some ice packs and i like tiger balm...some other people mention they like o24..i have not used it...and also
    do some stretches...and only worry about getting your work done if you are at place of employment....

when you get home do nothing but rest....i am thinking boaut sleeping on my couch or my sons bed bedcause they are softer and won't hurt my skin as mcu....

well i will be thinking of...do you have long term disability at your work? if you feel like this like cromwell said on your days off you may just need to file disability immediately...get it started..

hugs to us all everyone

jodie
  13. Slangx

Slangx New Member

OK, I've done my gentle stretches, I've gone outside for some fresh air, & I've been breathing deeply to "center" myself and try to remain calm. I am feeling a tiny bit better...not painwise, really, but more like you guys have helped me get past the brink, ya know? I was really losing it! And of course, making myself more tense too.

I totally forgot about the neck collar thingie! I got one last time I went to the ER, and it really does help, it supports your big ol' head (haha) so your neck muscles can take a break. Unfortunately, it is at home right now.

I do have a microwave bean bag here at work and was thinking about using it. But I was told that heat is good for muscle pain but very BAD for nerve pain - it'll inflame them more.

So how do I know if I am having nerve pain?? Does anyone here *know* you have nerve pain, and if so, how do you know that's what it is? This freakin' burning feeling makes me wonder if it might be nerves, not muscles.

I can't take Motrin b/c of my stomach, plus I'm on a prednisone burst right now anyway, & I did take that already.

But thank you guys, so much. Obviously, you understand how it feels to be in so much pain that it threatens to consume you - and you can't let it because you're at work or wherever, and you simply HAVE to get ahold of yourself.

I appreciate your help, so much!
    Cathy

14. sjc7545

sjc7545 New Member

I put in a call to my rheumy about 2 hours ago and I am freaking out that he hasn't called me back yet. My pain is in the same place, neck and shoulders. I have been in a flare since I had spinal surgery in October. I have had 5 medication changes, to no avail...and my doctor will not prescribe narcotics at all.
    I have been close to tears for 3 days and have continued to work, since I too was out 3 days last week. I feel like I could strangle someone, if I had the strength, that is.

So hang in there. I am right with you and my together we can all get through, at least this day!

Susan
  15. jake123

jake123 New Member

Sometimes I just say I am NOT going home you A$$HO** disease or headache. I have a job, I'm working and I get a paycheck for it. My kids at school know when I am hurting with a headache, I turn the lights off, they like it. Sometimes we do a five minute talk about ourselves instead of doing bookwork. I can feel myself relax.
    On the way home I'll go straight to the ER, or straight home to the long, hot shower and a tall icy Coca-cola for medicinal purposes.
  16. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

pain...so I can relate to you and yours. I have an ulcer that is acting up right now and I know now that the muscle pain between the shoulder blades in my upper back is a signal to look after my stomach...In case you didn't know, many of us have pre-ulcer conditions and don't know it. You should have a GI doctor check out your gut, if you haven't already. I think I should call what I have Leaky-Gut syndrome but I get the terrible muscle pain, too. Mine is worse at night. I have been helping myself by ingesting up to 20 1000mg salmon oil and /or flax seed oil tablets throughout the day and I am getting a lot of relief from this. Some call what we have "oxidative stress" (google it). Omega-3 oils are the key to recoverey for me. I am experimenting with them and reading all I can about their importance. When I am in pain I take 4-5 capsules and enough of the pain dissipates so I can sleep. The time between relapses seems to be lengthening for me and I am hopeful that I am on to something here......Try it...It may work for you, too.
  17. jasminerose

jasminerose New Member

hi this is jasminerose, im sorry for your pain , i also get in really bad pain that I cant stand it any more . if you belive in god you can pray thats what i do but also , i take a tramadol have a hot bath . use heat pads or bags. massage my legs as much as posible with a hot rub . and call a freind. or you could call your doctor .. love and hugs jasminerose/
  18. jasminerose

jasminerose New Member

hi was wondering what is it about the flaxseed oil ? and omega 3 ? im interesteed thankyou jasminerose.
  19. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

He recommends lots of antioxidants along with the magnesium, calcium, vitamin therapy, etc. Flax seed oil is an omega-3 oil and they are antioxidants which help repair cell damage in the body, which Dr. Strand believes is what causes the muscle pain. I am going to purchase some good quality grapeseed extract today and see if it helps. I am in a relapse and it is one of the worst periods for pain that I have experienced or it may just be that it has been soo long since I have experienced any pain that this really seems bad to me right now. I hope this experiment works. A friend put me onto this site as she claims to have been cured of CFS using Evening Primrose Oil in large doses over a long time. I am allergic to EPO so am trying different omega-3 oils.
  20. CrymznWych

CrymznWych New Member

I realize you don't want to go home, but if it's that bad that might be the best thing for you. The work place is stressful, sometimes even if you think it's not. I've experienced similar pain from time to time that you are, and the best thing I could do was lay down and not move for a while.