Pain, pain, pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mellow, Sep 4, 2002.

1. mellow

mellow New Member

I am in the middle of a flare-up of rheumatoid arthritis and also have the pain of fibromyalgia and the constant fatigue to cope with. I wake up exhausted, unable to think clearly and function very slowly. I know I have to pace myself but this is not always easy especially when you want to do what everyone else accepts as normal activities. Even a luncheon out on somedays is an effort and I end up wishing I had said no. Other days are better. It is very hard to plan ahead. Exercise is out of the question at present as even walking causes pain. I try to do a little and swimming also. Most of the time I end up worse off. I live in Australia and these conditions don't seem to be as well recognised here. I have been to a rheumatologist, seen a psychiatrist who says I am not depressed but that this illness (whatever it is - fibro./chronic fatigue is the cause of my problems. I am very sensitive to most drugs. Have been given zoloft to help with pain and mild depression but was unable to tolerate. Have tried lots of other meds. but too sensitive. I am now on serzone 350mg. valium 2.5mg. morning and 5mg. night, low dose cortisone (for arthritis), vioxx. Has anyone got any ideas on what else I can do. I have very good friends whom I see all the time so I am not isolated.
  2. mellow

mellow New Member

I am in the middle of a flare-up of rheumatoid arthritis and also have the pain of fibromyalgia and the constant fatigue to cope with. I wake up exhausted, unable to think clearly and function very slowly. I know I have to pace myself but this is not always easy especially when you want to do what everyone else accepts as normal activities. Even a luncheon out on somedays is an effort and I end up wishing I had said no. Other days are better. It is very hard to plan ahead. Exercise is out of the question at present as even walking causes pain. I try to do a little and swimming also. Most of the time I end up worse off. I live in Australia and these conditions don't seem to be as well recognised here. I have been to a rheumatologist, seen a psychiatrist who says I am not depressed but that this illness (whatever it is - fibro./chronic fatigue is the cause of my problems. I am very sensitive to most drugs. Have been given zoloft to help with pain and mild depression but was unable to tolerate. Have tried lots of other meds. but too sensitive. I am now on serzone 350mg. valium 2.5mg. morning and 5mg. night, low dose cortisone (for arthritis), vioxx. Has anyone got any ideas on what else I can do. I have very good friends whom I see all the time so I am not isolated.
  3. mellow

mellow New Member

Hi

Yes I do swim in warm water and take warm baths which do help ease pain a bit - but it returns. The valium has been given to me as a relaxant and is a very low dose. Even if I skip it for a few days I still feel the same.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Good to see you post again. I am sorry to hear you are feeling so bad, but sure can relate to being that ill.

Its good you can swim, that is some help. I walk, but on the ground not on concrete, and only about 5 minutes at a time.

Its good that you have friends and are not isolated, many of us are because we really can't make plans too far in advance!

I am sensitive to most drugs also, I only take Xanax in the evenings, no other prescription drugs. I mainly take supplements, herbs and just old fashioned home remedies.

Have you tried heat for the pain? I have a 'wireless mattress heating pad' that is just wonderful for the Fibro pain and the arthritis. I also sleep on a feather bed.

You live in a beautiful country! I never miss anything on tv when it concerns Australia, I just watch a program on the Dingo's. What beautiful animals, and so interesting!

I also order a Noni Juice from the 'Tree of Health' in Dural, Australia. It is the best and I am willing to wait two weeks for it to get here, it really helps my stomach problems.

I sure hope you get some help soon, and its so good to hear from you again. Hope you post often and let us know how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl

5. fibolady

fibolady New Member

you are very lucky to have friends and not be isolated! but, it is hard no matter what dealing with a flare. i have found this board a wonderful place to get away when you can't leave the house. what would we have done in the old days when there were no computers!

some weeks i am like you, it is impossible to go anywhere or make any trips because of the fatigue and pain. i use a lot of heat (microwave pads, rice socks, bed buddie) watch old movies, do research on the computer, try to stretch a little a few times a day. the mental part is the hardest. it is easy to get depressed and grumpy when you are in pain and tired for so long. i have bought books on dealing with the stress of pain and also i am seeing a counselor to help me "deal".

it is hard to plan ahead, think we all have this problem. we get stressed just making plans for the future. i missed 2 apptments last week because of a flare but this week was able to make an apptment.
    so, i'm not going to NOT make any outside plans, that would be giving in to this dd. if someone doens't understand that i might have to cancel, then i will just find another person who does.

hope you are feeling better, sometimes it is rough riding out those long flares. think positive you are one more day to feeling better!

warm regards, fibolady