PAIN PATCH WHICH ONE SHOULD I ASK FOR

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzetal, Nov 6, 2005.

1. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Going to ask my doctor for the patch.I just don't know the best one.

Any help?

Thanks
    Sue
  2. artseyone

artseyone New Member

Suzetal,
    Good news here... I started the Duragesic transdermal patch last week..It's the first time I have had relief from pain.
    I had such a horrible time w/pain meds and my stomach..

I also use Lidoderm patches which are local pain relieving..
    They do no dispense pain meds, they just are supposed to relieve pain locally..

Hope you find what you need. I highly recommend the Duragesic patches.. and I hope your dr. will prescribe them..YOu were one for 72 hrs, then replace..you can bathe w/them also..
    Good luck
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I'm sure she will .She told me to check here on the sight to see the one that works for most of you.Than she and I will give it a shot.

I just got off oxcycotin.To much trouble to drive 20min. one way to pick up the script.

Thanks again
    Sue
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Suzetal .. did you have any problems getting off oxycotin ? Was it the 12 hour dose ? .. I'm on it and I wonder about it .. some people have had a terrible time coming off of it .. I would like to know how you did ?
    Fudge : )
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

instead of taking 2 20 Mg tabs a day I went to one.Then one every other day than one every 3rd day and so on till one a month now none.

Did not get sick or anything no shacks either.

If your gonna try getting off of it please tell your doctor.Thats what I did.Told her my plan she said OK give it a shot.I did not want another narcotic to replace this one.To much hassle.

Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2005]
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

suze .. I just started this new time released oxy .. only a total of 20mgs in 24 hours .. for now it is working well .. but I always wonder what would happen down the road if I had to change .. so I was curious and asked how you did. That was great to hear though ! not too bad an experience for you then.
    No .. I would never mess with my meds without my doctor instructing me .. I know it could be a problem so no worries there.
    Thanks again for the information though !
  7. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I was on the Duragessic (sp) Patch for 3 years until it stopped working so I am not on it now. When it was working it really helped but I was never pain free.

Some interesting facts that I learned when I was on it that I would like to pass on.
    1st. The area where my patch was on was so itchy that I could not hardly stand it. What my doctor had me do and it worked 100% was to use a steroid spray, (inhaler that is commonly used for people with athesma). My doc always gave me samples so I had different brands, (Flovent or Aerobid), as long as it was the kind that had steroid in it.

The proceedure was:
    1. clean the area where you are applying the patch with rubbing alcohol, (mine were applied by my husband on my upper back on the left side one time then the right side the next time).
    2. let alcohol dry completely, (my husband would usually blow on the area).
    3. spray the area with the inhaler
    4. apply patch

2nd. the patch is a time released thing and the heat will make it release the medicine faster than normal. SO don't put a heating pad on that area over the patch or be very cautious going out in the heat.
    When I was on the patch an article came out that a woman had died from the patch because she had put a heating pad over the area because she was hurting and fell asleep and the heat caused too much of the medicine to release at a rapid pace and she basically overdosed on it withot her even knowing what she was doing.

I AM NOT TRYING TO SCARE YOU OFF FROM USING THE PATCH BECAUSE THEY ARE GREAT FOR PAIN ON SOME FOLKS. I just thought I should let you know my experience from using them so you would not have to find out with trial & error like I did.

Good luck & I hope they help to ease your pain,
    Grandma6
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm on 75mcg of the Fentanyl patch, which is a generic form of the duragesic.

I don't have quite as much pain as I did before, but I don't know if I'm not on enough of it, or if it isn't working that well.

I've been trying to reach my rheumy, but he hasn't returned my calls.

Tigger
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I have not heard of this method of pain control until I read these messages .. may be they aren't popular in Canada.
    I'm glad to know about it though and the dangers it might have if you are a heating pad person like me .. I am amazed by it all !
    Thanks for the info !
  10. maee16

maee16 New Member

Hi,
    Just want you to know I have been on Fentynal 75 and I have
    no problem with it. No way would I have anything to do with
    oxyicontin. I change it eveyother day. I just had to have a colonoscopy, it was the worse thing I ever had to have. I had a reaction to the pills and what the doctor
    perscribed me to drink. And the next day, they had nothing
    to give me to relax me, because I am on so may meds. So they gave me Fentynal inject, it did nothing. I felt everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was screaming, I passed out, The nurse was putting cold cloths on my face, But thank goodness they found nothing, just severe constipation from'
    Loratabs. So I am trying my hardest not to take the loratabs, just tylenol. I was so sick the day before from the junk the doc ordered, I never thought I'd stop vomitting. Never again. Maee