Pain patches? just a question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi everyone!
    Today at my Rheumy appointment,..
    I was complaining of painful hips and knees.
    Just asking if the 2 different pain locations were from the same source or just 2 different areas starting to really bother me.
    My dr. said if and when they become too much or too painful he would try the pain patch.
    Thats all that was said,... I did'nt ask questions.

So now I'm wondering,...what are they?? meaning,what med is acually in the patches. ??
    are there many kinds or names.?
    Do they help?
    and last!:: any bad side effects?
    Thanks for reading~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  2. Geechie

Geechie New Member

one was Duragesic, which is a systemic med. The other was Lidoderm, which goes right on the painful area.

Duragesic is kind of messy, and hard to keep on, at least to me it was. Lidoderm is like an IcyHot patch, and they take about two weeks of constant use before they work to their maximum. I don't know if this has to be in the same spot.

I didn't notice any side effects with the Duragesic but I didn't use it that long. The Lidoderm didn't really have any side effects. I really prefer IcyHot patches, but you can't use a heating pad with those.
    But, my insurance pays for the others and not for IcyHot! Those are around $8 for five.
  3. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

I am on the Duragesic and it works well for me.I have to have the pharmaceutical company send me a special thing to put on top of the so it doesn't fall off. It has been great for me.

The lidoderm doesn't work that well for me.

TS
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My mom uses three Lidoderm patches every 24 hours. She really believes they help.

5. WeBee7

WeBee7 New Member

I have the narcotic patches thatare good for 3 days. I don't use them all the time, only when I need relief. Works good for me and I haven't built up immunity to them.
    karyn
  6. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I found so much relief using the Lidoderm patch. I even got my mom to use them on her knees (arthritis).

For me - they take about 2 hours to start working. The directions say 3 patches for 12 hours. I've had 2 different docs tell me that 24 hours is OK.

Sometimes 12 hours is enough - sometimes 3 days is enough. It depends on the pain. I have to move them around because I get a mild skin reaction to the glue.

Just remember that even after you take them off theree is still enough Lidocaine to poison and kill a small child or pet. My little Boston Bull (Pooky) LOVES the way they taste! I can't put them in the little garbage can in my bedroom because he takes them right out!

The only downside i've found is the cost if you don't have an Rx plan.
  7. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

my pain patch was morphine 1 for 3 days then a fresh one.
    taht worked well until i developed an allergy to the adhesive which caused blistering and redness :(.

now i am on a morphine pill but my dr is looking to change that incase i become dependadnt on it,,,, what comes next i really dont know,i suggested mallet therapy lol
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

My doctor just put me on the duragesic patch yesterday. I had gastric by-pass surgery and therefore can't take anything time released because I don't have the stomach acids to break things down.

I asked the doctor about maybe a liquid. He had been talking with my PCP (they share an office one day a week) and she explained to him that I wait until I'm in sooo much pain that it's hard to control it. He might consider a liquid for breakthrough pain.

He said he would rather see me at 60% pain free on a constant level than 10% pain one day and 90% pain
    the next day.

He believes when you have a chronic pain condition you won't get 100% better, but you shoot for the best you can do.... even if it is only 60%.

By the way.... I'm not sharing either of my doctors.

Hugs,
    Tigger
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I had heard of those painpatches here alot.
    But since I have a dr. who does'nt generally treat my pain very well,...I was kinda surprized when HE mentioned me possibly needing them in the near future.
    He's getting better about helping me~
    Finally!! there is light~
    Hugs
    Tandy