PAIN RELIEF WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE ADVIL OR RX'x; advice needed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Butterfly_of_grace, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

HELP ME PLEASE! I feel like Im dying today!

OK...Im a hurtin' son-of-a-gun...I have been trying SO HARD to stay away from my morning ritual of taking liquid extra strength advil. I was wondering does anyone out there have any advice or info on a natural pain relief? IM HURTING SO BADLY TODAY I can barely move.Its only been two days without my usual morning advil popping session and I dont think my body is coping well. I also got my 3rd adjustmant at the Chiropractors office work for today so Im really sore now. I "tweaked" my back this weekend so I started the day out in alot of pain already....

Im really trying my best to go "alternative" with my health. Im learning alot from the chiro I work for...but darn it when the pain is this bad I just dont know how to find relief.

PLEASE HELP
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Many people on this board have recommended a very warm bath with epsom salts and hydrogen peroxide.

Extremely relaxing!

Take care,
    Susan
  3. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Why are you allowing yourself to suffer? Sorry, I do not know the whole sitution and am having a bad day with the fibro fog...so bare with me. It is awesome if you want to try alternative solutions to your health issues but, you clearly need to do more research and stock up on whatever it is that will help with the pain. If the advil was working for you - why not take it now. I have heard poppy seed tea is excellent for pain relief. However, I also heard if you screw it up - you will die. You need some relief right now! I'd say take the advil and a nice warm bath and then start your research. I sure that this reply did not come across as rude - just trying to help. Good luck to you!
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Hi Butterfly,

Sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I am not sure as to why you can't take your advil, especially if it was helping, but, anyways,,

How about taking a nice hot soak in the tub with epsom salts? That tends to help me some. I also use "pain lotions" the one I use is called Polar Lotion and it really helps.

I also use moist heat. I have grain bags that I heat up in the microwave, and a moist heat electrice pad called "Theratherm" that works good.

Hope some of this will help!

Blessings,

Raz
  5. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

I forget alot of you dont know my History as far as medication and such so Ill give you a brief run down;

1. Had stomach surgery a little over a yr ago because the gerd reflux disease was so out of control and I had no choice...the bad stomach was caused from alot of things including over dosing on too much advil/tylenol. Recently my stomach has been SO BAD from the advil I have been taking that I can barely eat. I have alot of stomach pain and feeling like Im going to throw up all the time so I had to cut back on the Advil. Wish I didnt have to but I do. After the fundoplication theres not much more that can be done for a bad stomach other than go BACK ONTO stomach meds which I refuse to do.

2. I react SO BADLY to ANY medication that I avoid it at all costs. The bad reactiosn are FAR worse then this disease and the pain...hence avoiding them. I feel sicker when I take meds. I have this MAJOR issue; medication MAY help one symptoms but CAUSES a hundred OTHER symptoms I WASNT experiencing making me feel even MORE CRAPPIER.

...therefor, the aviodence. another, but minor reason, is that Im tired of Doctors RXing addictive substances like they are nothing but candy to shut us fibro patients up. I have experienced this with EVERY Doctor I have come in contact with pertaining to the fibro/CFS
    Im also sadden at watching other people become drug addicts because of it. Im not going to allow myself to ruin my life because of careless Doctors prescribing all these narcotics.

Most importantly, I JUST CANT FUNCTION WHEN I TAKE RXs. They dont solve the problem...they just mask it for a little while and cause a hundred other problems from taking them. Believe me, I have tried them ALL in the past..THEY DONT WORK FOR ME.

I dont think you were being rude FM soldier so dont worry. I appreciate all your input so thank you so much. Im not upset. I just assume that alot of you know my background from a while ago and I forget that alot of you dont know me. I feel like I could be a real bear today from this pain myself. Trying to deal with the four kids today and their crabby-patty attitudes isnt helping me any (3 teenagers and one 9 yr old...YUCK! so not in the mood LMAO)

Anyway, I knew about the epsoms salt baths...I was wondering if anyone knew the MSM suppliment doses because I know thats helped me alot in the past. I know theres a certain amount of MSM suppliments that can help with the pain because I took it a few yrs ago. I also wasnt sure if there was any other suppliments that could help too.

HUGS to all of you. Thanks again : )
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2006]
  6. suz45

suz45 New Member

Butterfly:

I have MSM with some relief in my pain, also are you using magnesium or malic acid. I have found the combiantion of them to work quite well, especailly for widespread muscle pain with the FMS. For me the MSM works better for the joints and myofascial pain.

I also agree about the epsom slats bathe and if you don;t have sensitivies try adding some lavender this may help to calm your mind and body.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,

Suz45
  7. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I don't know if you have one available but the Alpha Spa is great. It bakes the ache right out of you. I know in some areas it is expensive. In my town it is $25 for 30 minutes and is well worth every penny.

I hurt so bad last night I didn't sleep at all. This morning I went down and did the Ionic foot bath and the Alph spa. The pain is almost gone. It seems to break up those hard knots I have in my hips and legs and the pain in my arms.

Have you tried a magnesium, vitamin IV? Those work wonders for the fatigue. Novacaine shots are also good. They aren't very expensive (in my area anyway) and the pain goes away in a day or so.

That's just a few of things I do for pain. Hope you get relief soon.
    kayleen
  8. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I am sorry you are in pain.
    I have a stomach problem, also.
    How ever, I take prevacid for mine.

I am on eleven different meds for all my DDs.

I could not function without them.
    Even with all the meds, I still never see a day without pain.

Heck, I never take a step without pain.

But, I am not a drug addict. I am not going to
    suffer if I can find some kind of relief.

I may be dependent on them,but as long as my
    wonderful Dr. will prescribe them I will take them.

He is really good about trying to keep me as
    comfortable as possible.

A fellow sufferer, cathugs.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

When you get up, take a long HOT shower. I have a shower stool that I sit on and let the steaming hot water hit my back, between my shoulder blades, for a long time before I soap up and get out.

I also sit with a heating pad on my low back when watching TV.

Have you ever tried ice packs on the back of your neck and between your shoulder blades to numb the pain? This also helps me.