Pain Relief???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Elvira, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Elvira

Elvira New Member

Hi all,

I am new to the board and have been reading it all morning. Haven't found what I'm looking for though. Does anyone have any suggestions that truly help for the pain? I have so much pain in my hips and legs that sitting and even lying down are excruciating. The Ultram the dr. gave me is not helping it. The only time I don't feel this intense leg pain is when I am standing up or walking. I can't even sit on my couch and watch TV anymore (have to sit on the hard floor). If I could get some of this pain level diminished, I could function a lot better and I'd be soooo much happier! I now I need to exercise more, but I need a quick fix to ease this a little. Thanks in advance.

Blessings,
    Anita
  2. Elvira

Elvira New Member

Hi all,

I am new to the board and have been reading it all morning. Haven't found what I'm looking for though. Does anyone have any suggestions that truly help for the pain? I have so much pain in my hips and legs that sitting and even lying down are excruciating. The Ultram the dr. gave me is not helping it. The only time I don't feel this intense leg pain is when I am standing up or walking. I can't even sit on my couch and watch TV anymore (have to sit on the hard floor). If I could get some of this pain level diminished, I could function a lot better and I'd be soooo much happier! I now I need to exercise more, but I need a quick fix to ease this a little. Thanks in advance.

Blessings,
    Anita
  3. ladydi

ladydi New Member

WELCOME ELVIRA, GLAD YOU FOUND US. GLAD I FOUND YOU TOO

FIRST OF ALL WELCOME TO THE BOARD, YOU'RE SURE TO FIND
    ALOT OF INFO HERE.
    YOU DID'NT MENTION HOW MUCH ULTRAM YOU TAKE, OR WHAT
    OTHER MEDS YOU TAKE. I TAKE ULTRAM, AND LIKE SO MANY OF
    US IT JUST TAKES THE EDGE OFF. I ALSO TAKE MUSCLE RELAXER
    3 TIMES A DAY. IT'S SKELAXIN. IT DOES'NT MAKE ME SLEEPIER
    THAN NORMAL. I ALSO TAKE PROVIDIL, IT'S A STIMULANT.
    ALSO, I FOUND A BIG CHANGE IN MY LEG PAIN WHEN I STARTED
    TAKING MAGNESIUM 250mg (3) A DAY. SOME RECOMEND MALIC
    ACID TOO.

SOMETIMES THE PAIN IN MY THIGHS AND KNEES CAN BE SO
    UNBEARABLE I THINK I'LL GO CRAZY.

YOU'LL BE GETTING MUCH MORE INFO THAN I CAN GIVE YOU SO
    JUST REMEMBER YOU'RE AT THE RIGHT PLACE.

WARM WELCOME, AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.
    LADYDI

4. Elvira

Elvira New Member

I will try sitting in the tub of warm water. I don't have access to a warm water pool to exercise in, though.

And, to Ladydi, thanks for the medication information. My dr. had me on a therapeutic level of Ultram, 100 mg. 4 times a day. It made my head foggier, but didn't seem to help the pain any. I go back in 2 weeks, so I'll ask him about the muscle relaxers and the stimulant, too. I know I could use the stimulant, as I can barely get out of bed in the morning and get moving. Once I'm up it's easier, but it's getting out of bed in the first place!

I'm glad I found this place, too, and I'm sure I'll be on here often looking for advice. This is a frustrating disease to live with and it helps to connect with other people who truly understand it.

Blessings,
    Anita
  5. TeddiAnn

TeddiAnn New Member

Dear Elvira,

I also have sciatica from a piched nerve that is between two discs that are degenertive disc disease. Try using epsom salts in your bath water. I also use a heating pad but not before or after the back. I take Soma, Elivil,
    Darvocet and Neurontin. I can't take ibuprofen, Celebrex or Vioxx. I have also have para-neuropathy in both legs and I get sharp spikes of pain my my legs and sometimes in my hand. The Neurotnin takes care of that and doesn't make me sleepy. Keep going back and if your doctor doesn't help then get a referral to see someone else. I have switched from Rhuematologists who are unwilling to answer my questins or give me better pain medication.

Try getting a round air filled with air called a donut.
    call it. That will help you somewhat with the pain.
    Epidurals don't last more than a month on me and then it is back to pain.
  6. chrissy

chrissy New Member

hi Anita, I had cervical surgery # disks removed) after a horrible flare up that lasted 5 weeks of taking codeine, vicodin, morphine, benzodiazepines, etc etc, after the surgery, I had this NEW pain in my hip and leg (They took a chunk of my right hip to replace the disks. I found out that what helps the most is 1) sleep on a bed that is comfortable for you (most of us need a bed that we can SINK IN so it distributes the pressure more evenly. Use lots of pillows to avois straining your muscles. 2) Take lots of magnesium with malic acid (they are sometimesw sold in one pill. It he4lps reducing the acidity of your body fluids caused by the metabolization of the foods you eat, if these acids are not neutralyzed they are like poisons circulating in your body. 3) Eat lots of alkaline foods such as lime, raspberry, watermelon, lemon orange and banana. I know it sounds crazy but citrus fruit are ALKALINE so is baking soda. You can do the test by buying a strip of litmus paper at your pharmacy. The item you check for acidity/alkalinity must be moist or wet, you cannot test a DRY item.
    4) DO NOT EXERCISE UNLESS YOU SLEEP WELL. mUSCLES WHICH ARE CONSTANTLY IN A STATE OF SPASM ( due to Trigger points) must relax before being able to handle exercise. If you don't sleep and exercise, especially with weights, YOU ARE ASKING FOR PAIN. There is a wonderful book called
    Fibromyalgia, simple relief through movement by Stacie L> Bigelow, M.A. It was a revelation for me. Good luck,
    remember that you are not a VICTIM, you CAN IMPROVE YOUR LIFE, DON'T WAIT FOR THE DOCTOR TO START FEELING BETTER
    kNOWLEDGE IS POWER. lOVE TO YOU AND BEST WISHES.
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Are you on Ultram 8 x's per day. I went from that to Darvon it was about the same for me then the doc gave me Norco, not bad. But, we are all differnt in what helps us. I love warm water hydro theropy I find it helps and the chiro to. I also get shots of steroids and that has been of greta help to me although with me it took a year of them every 3-4 months before it gave me a few weeks of help. Have you been given Vioxx or any ones like that. It's kind of a try this and that situation. There are so many different combos. How about a heating pad when you sit or ice.

Welcome new friend this is one great place we have all found, Kim and Gary
  8. Elvira

Elvira New Member

Thank all of you so much for all the great suggestions. I am taking magnesium maleate already, but maybe not enough of it. I am also getting ready to buy a feather topper to put on my bed so I can "sink in". Hope that will help some, as it is hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in without pain interferring. I will definitely buy copies of Fibromyalgia, Simple Relief Through Movement and The Trigger Point Guide Workbook. I will also be asking my doctor about Neurontin and Norco. I've only been to my rheumatologist once so I don't know yet if he is going to really be a helpful doctor, but he does treat lots of fibro patients, so I have high hopes. If not, I have printed out doctors from the Good Doctor List for my area and will check into them next. I don't think my doctor is much for prescribing pain medications like vicodin, even though that helps me, and there are times that I really do need something that will take the edge off the pain. I am very interested in the hydro-therapy but don't know where to go for that. It will help if the insurance covers it! I feel well-armed with all of this new information. Knowledge definitely is power and am so glad that I found this great place and all of you!!

Best wishes, Anita