pain triggers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Peace77, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

As it has been said too cold or too hot and not enough sleep.

Want to comment on not enough sleep. Normal people can set an alarm and get up a few hrs. earlier than usual for an appt. I make my appts. late, around 11 am because I don't get up until 9 or 9:30. If I had to get up at 6am when I usually get up at 9, I'd definitely have pain that day and severe fatigue.

It's easier in the summer to get up earlier but in the winter it's a real struggle.

Exercise - just a little more than usual can trigger a major flare. We have to build up slowly.

Severe stress can also trigger me.

salt - can make me retain water and can cause inflammation.

I definately have more trouble in the winter with the cold, however, in the summer the heat makes me swell.

Doing anything over and over again, or sitting for a long time can cause a flare.

We have to condition ourselves S-L-O-W-L-Y and cut ours jobs into small doable parts.

Gentle hugs, Peace
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I struggle with the same things...only I dont schedule any appointments until the afternoon:)

The heat is such a struggle for me though...any extreme weather really.

I need to do more exercise than I do...taking short walks or something but I have been so out of it lately.

I am dealing with a lot of stress and that is always a trigger for me, oh, and also a cold!

Take care,

3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

The key really is recognizing what triggers our pain. Sometimes I have NO idea. I do nothing differently and all of a sudden BAM, it's a really bad day.

It's funny, we recently went on vacation. It was 110 degrees much of the time. It was a VERY relaxing vacation. Lots of time spent at the pool reading, walking in the lazy river. We walked a lot in the evenings, even stayed up late. I did sleep in longer than I usually do though. I was nervous about going as I didn't want to ruin the trip for the rest of the family with my potential inability to do things.
    I could not believe how great I felt! I figured it out. No STRESS. ZERO. I didn't think about one thing the entire time.

We got home early on a Thurs morning and thankfully didn't have to be back to work until Monday morning. I literally was OUT until Monday. I couldn't move - crashed big time.
    Reality slapped me in the face. That whole next week was hell for me. Such a shame because it made me feel like my vacation almost wasn't worth what I went through upon return.

I know for sure (always did know but now positive) that Stress is a huge trigger for me. HUGE. It doesn't help that I have a 'worrier' type personality - I get easily stressed out, so I'm working on that, on putting things in perspective.

I am very connected to people as well - my Mom in particular. When she is not doing well, I can feel it in my body. Weird, but true. I'm sure it's because again, emotionally I'm upset by it (stressed), so that's my trigger.

Funny that stress plays such a big part in this - yet Fibro itself is such a Stressor with all of the things we have to deal with! Just doesn't seem right, does it?!

4. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

For me definitely not enough sleep , having to be in a hurry and any repetitive motion, and the weather and stress all play a part in my pain triggers.

And sometimes I just wake up to a bad day with lots of pain and there is no reason that I can see for it.

I'm also a worrier type personality.......I try to write things down at night so I can just go to sleep but I still think of other things to worry about.

I'm working on making my life less stressful but I do have a family and it's hard to take all the stress out of life. My kids are 11/15 so I'm working on having them help more around the house this summer.

I love to sew ~ and I can only do it a little at a time on a good day. This dd ~ I just wish it would go away.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2008]