Pain when it rains?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kirbycat, Sep 6, 2006.

1. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

I have begun to notice a pattern forming. When it is starting to get stormy even before it starts to rain, I start having intense pains all over. Sharp stabbing pains.

One time it's in my elbow, next time in my leg. They won't last very long in each place but move around. After awhile, it becomes achy all over.

My husband calls me the "human barometer" cause if the barometer drops, I hurt. There has been many times when I was unaware that it was raining out and start having pain. My husband would look outside and sure enough, it was raining. It seems too like the worse the storm the worse the pain.

I am also dreading the winter. I really didn't know for sure what I had last year during the cold months, I just knew I was hurting. I have such a small area of comfort as far as temperature is concerned. I'm either very hot or very cold and either way it is very uncomfortable.

I used to love languishing in a hot steamy tub of bubbles and candles, not I can't stand the hot water. That always helped with the spasms and pain.

I have a throw on the couch and it's constantly on and off. I just get too hot, then cold.

I sound like my grandmother. OMG

Thanks,
    Cathy
  2. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Not long after my diagnosis, I was getting a test. I was so creaky, I could hardly move. I mentioned to the nurse I had FM and she told me of the "weather connection". I had no clue...so, like you, when the weather changes, so does my body.

The thing that does help me is soaking in a warm/hot tub of water...but I can't take the bubbles or the candles. It may be the scents are getting to you...not the water.

Just a thought...

3. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

4. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

5. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

A lot of people on the board are affected by the weather. Just wait until winter hits. There will be a lot of talk about how achy and stiff we all are.

Right now, I live in Indiana, I have been having a hard time with the weather. It has been getting chilly in the evening and it has affected me. I wake up very achy and stiff and sore. It takes me a good 2 hours after my pain meds to even be able to do anything. That is usually when I get on line.

My worst time is the changing of seasons.

Hugs,

Jodi
  6. encantare

encantare New Member

I have noticed that when the air pressure drops or spikes dramatically I get migraines as well. My fibro has been very connected to weather, and I moved from WA st. to CA just to get away from that damp, wet, ucky climate all of the time. So far, I'm handling it much better. The pain is pretty steady instead of peaking during storms.
  7. kimkane

kimkane New Member

RAIN = PAIN

8. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

Sorry, I'm new and coming out of no where but just last night right before it stormed my whole left shoulder and arm hurt so bad. Right down to the bone. I could tell it was ready to rain. It's getting colder here in MI and it's making it harder and harder for me to get moving and stay moving by the time I get to work. Not looking forward to the winter AT ALL!
  9. Silkie

Silkie New Member

I live in Western Australia on the South Coast. Winters are very hard for me. I am sure that the barometric pressure plays havoc with my condition and the pain increases, moves from place to place and takes over. In summer I cope a lot better. I also have experience with overheating and then cooling and the fluctuations can be extremely annoying.
    Silkie
  10. 143alan

143alan New Member

My co-workers and son were just picking on me about this yesterday. When I start hurting and my muscles start having that burning cold feeling it will rain within an hour, even if it's only a couple of drops. Yesterday this happened and I told a co-worker she needed to roll up the windows in her car because it was going to rain (not a cloud in the sky at the time). She said I was crazy. 48 minutes later it was raining.

My son as Reflex Neurvascular Dystrophy (RND) which is in the same family as FM and in reading info about it a few years ago it really stressed that you can not use ICE packs and such. We found it to be true when we forgot it and he broke his leg playing soccer at school and the ER put an icepack on it while waiting for x-ray. The pain got so much more intense it was ridiculous and then we remembered and took it off and the Dr had a fit. In fact we have only come across 2 doctors in the ER that even know what RND is.

Anyway, back to topic. Sometimes, I get incredible pain before it rains and basically the amount of pain depends on the amount of pressure building in the atmosphere before a storm or just plain Spring rain hits. I know how you feel, because it's miserable.

Also, thanks for mentioning the overheating and then getting cold thing. I thought I was losing my mind that this was happening to me. I am normally very hot-natured, and still am for the most part, but recently have started getting cold on days when it's 95 outside. [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  11. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Hi, I've decided to move back to Seattle. But I am terrified of moving back to the damp, cold, rainy Northwest. Eveyting else about the move is perfect, but the rain = pain. Plain and simple. I know I'll be in pain anywhere I go this winter. Last winter California had more rain than Seattle, so I might as well go for it...

I think one change will be me using an electric blanket. Even though a lot of the alternative health folks say electric blankets and heating pads impede our bodies natual electric energy, the all over warmth does make a difference. And its not a "heavey" warmth you get when your under lots of blankets. Which works well for my restless legs.

Take care all.
  12. jesfms

jesfms New Member

my dr who is fms spec. says he can tell when the rain is coming from us....if hot water/heat normally makes you worse you might want to tell your dr...sis has ms and that is one of the main symptom differences between us...she can't sit in tub of hot water ..it makes her worse
  13. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

Funny you mention that about MS. I was initially sent to a neurologist to rule out MS. She said that she "didn't THINK I had it, but we would wait and see". I had 2 MRI's and they both had some white plaque areas in the white matter. Which can indicate MS. But she said they were small so no diagnosis of MS. I was later diagnosised with fibro then later CFIDS. The rheumy told me that I could have all three.

Isn't that just peachy.
    I guess I'll have to go down if flames before that is diagnosised.

Heck, every doctor except one thinks I'm a crackpot anyway.
    At least I found one, which is more than some, who can't get any doctors to believe them. It took me a long time too.

Cathy