Painful breasts???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Nov 30, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Do any of you have pain in breasts? I am quite large upstairs and it seems like the past month or so I have painful spots in my breast tissue, sometimes shooting pain.

I cannot feel any lumps and the painful spots do seem to come & go, just wondering. I know every time I think something is horrible, fatal, etc I get all wigged out, get testing done it is nothing.

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Do any of you have pain in breasts? I am quite large upstairs and it seems like the past month or so I have painful spots in my breast tissue, sometimes shooting pain.

I cannot feel any lumps and the painful spots do seem to come & go, just wondering. I know every time I think something is horrible, fatal, etc I get all wigged out, get testing done it is nothing.

Jaci
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I wanted to quickly say yes....I get that alot too.But I have that fibrocystic breast disease.(I had it checked out-via..mammogram and seen a surgeon)They do hurt.Caffeine is a no-no. I've cut back but still drink a couple cups a day.
    I get the shooting pain too,sometimes sharp! also they say chocolate aggravates this condition.(all the good stuff huh?)you should get it checked out tho to be safe~ Are they sore all the time/or with your cycle? Mine can be anytime of the month.
    Good luck...i'll be thinking of you!
    love,
    Tracey
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I pretty much have it most of the time, I have had the cystic breast diagnosis before, yrs ago, was told about the caffeine thing.

I am not gonna go running to get a mammogram, I have never had one & I just can't get past the fear, heard horror stories.

Jaci
  5. Ponygirl

Ponygirl New Member

Jaci you are playin" with fire,and if memorie serves me correct we are the same age. GO get a mamagram! NOW. It's an easy thing to do and you owe it to yourself. No big deal. Had my first one at 25. Glad I did. Wont go into detail but have had all the same pain as you. By the way ,Tri-cities so foggy this last weekend. We had a great time, but glad to be back on Puget Sound. Hope you had a good Holiday. Now get your ass in to Breast Diagnostic's for women A.S.A.P.
  6. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Hi Jaci, I'm average there but oh yes, they can be really painfull. If I feel them I can feel all the sore spots but I also have shooting pains in them.Yes, it is scary sometimes when you have pain in your chest. I have panic attacks and that makes things worse. The soreness goes all the way to under my arm pits and toward middle of my back. I have that fibrosystic disease too. They did a sonogram on breasts because things on my mammogram had changed. I can't feel to many lumps but just a few small ones. No one has told me it was related to Fibro but then my primary physician whom I fired, told me Fibro doesn't mean a thing. It is just a syndrome he says. And if I would get my mind straigtend out I wouldn't have any pain and things would be peachy. The jerk!

Gee, I have a million questions about Fibro. I was diagnosed with it in '91 but had pain many years before that so you would think I'd know but I never stop learning and always forget and have to refresh my memory, what is left of it...lol.
    Take care!! Do you have mammograms?? OH!!!!!! I see where you don't. Well, as the other gal says get your tush to (somewhere) and get one. It is not that bad. Hey, I am 63 and have had many. The discomfort is worth the peace of mind and it only lasts a little while. Honest! Grin and bear it...it is only once a year. Please do it. And if you take pain medication for Fibro take some 30 minutes before the mammogram. If you don't then take a couple of tylenol. It helps.
    Kalli

[This Message was Edited on 11/30/2002]
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

they gonna take my big ole boobies & smash them down like pancakes, can't take it. ugh

I refuse
    Jaci
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I understand about the pain. I, too, am well-endowed!! I have fibrocystic disease and had a lot of pain for years. Now that I am menopausal and have stopped my Premarin and have D/C'd caffeine, I no longer suffer with this at all!!! BTW, a mammogram saved my life....AND the machine at my local hospital is much gentler (they're making them more user-friendly now).....reconsider, if you can, especially if there is any family hx. of cancer. PLEASE think about it. I don't mind the test at all; I get a free mammo each year as an employee benefit. I wonder if I still can now that I'm on leave of absence?????
    Think about it.
    Love,
    kady
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Mine have gotten real painful ONCE A MONTH, starting about a year ago, so I wonder if it's got something to do with menopause and estrogen surges? I'm 51, and don't know if I've started menopause or not, but my boobs sure to hurt when my time of the months happens by. Sometimes it's so bad that it hurts to even wear a bra!

Marilyn :)
  10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

A few months ago, I posted an article that was in a magazine I get about something the British invented called the electric bra. It's supposed to be excellent at detecting lumps and even better than a mammogram. It was developed to REPLACE the mammogram. It's being tested in Japan right now and should be available for use in 2-3 years. They are testing it in Japan because the women there have such dense breasts, so they are going to see if this contraption will detect lumps on these ladies. I'm waiting for it too, with baited breath! I'll NEVER get a mammogram!! I can't stand any pressure at all on my boobs, the pain would make me pass out, so could never get them flattened like they do with that stupid test. Plus there's just so many doctors now that aren't real sure the mammagram is a good deal due to the many false positives and the low level of radiation. My instincts tell me "no" and they have never failed me yet!

11. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I like your attitide.

I suffer enough pain with this DD, I don't wanna go looking for more pain.

Not gonna smash my ta ta's

Jaci
  12. sofy

sofy New Member

I have always had dense lumpy breasts so self exam is just about useless. My right side is so sensative havnt worn a bra in about 6 yrs. I get mammograms every year. Cant stand the pain? Sure I can and do for many things all the time. It is a tool I choose to use to relieve the stress of worry for one more year. Perfect? No, but better than nothing. I owe it to myself and my family to do whatever I can to keep myself in the best health possible and this is one small place I can do something. I never think about the pain when going but focus on get this done so dont have to think about it for another year. Doctors did not devise this tool to torture us. It is the best we have at the moment. You cant have life saving surgery without an incision and the pain and trauma of healing and you cant have a mammogram without some discomfort.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2002]
  13. RedB

RedB New Member

Jaci, the people you're heard those horror stories from are probably people who still continue to go back for a mammogram year after year. There's a good reason for that. And it is my cousin Linda, who I miss terribly. She never had a mammogram, and by the time they found that her back pain was actually breast cancer, it had already spread throughout her body and was in her liver. She lived another year, but her death was far more painful than any mammogram would have been. Even harder for her poor family. I realize that this can also happen to people who are completely mammogram-aware, but why go through something like that when the choice of life is yours? In her case, a mammogram would have discovered the cancer long before it reached the ricidulous point it did, so she died needlessly. Such a shame. And so hard for me to live with, because she was my closest cousin, and I miss her terribly. Sorry to be so graphic here, on a touchy subject, but a death like this is hard to justify. This is one of the few medical conditions that our society has improved tremendously with research, and it's too sad when you don't take advantage of every choice you have to live. So, Jaci, just say "ouch" and Keep On Livin' !
  14. genevieve

genevieve New Member

I did a bit of research on the internet for a friend with fibrocystic breasts a year or so ago and found a website (sorry not got a note of address) of a doctor treating women successfully with breast diseases simply by getting them to stop wearing bras, especially tight bras. He did research and found bras impede the flow of lymph system as there is a major area of lymph drainage under your arms and I think down side if beast and under breast (sorry memory hazey)and yopu can get a build up of toxinsin the breasts but there were loads of people writing in to say they had had problems for years with cysts/painful breasts and tried all sorts of things but it was only when they discarded their bras that they got relief! Maybe a bit of a problem if you are on the large side but maybe worth a try or a less tight bra?

Best wishes,

Genevieve
  15. sofy

sofy New Member

Gen, that was the best thing I did. Thank goodness I kept a stready weight thru good eating habits so at 59 I can get away with it. I have several camisole type things that work ok and if I am going out and want to strut my stuff I suffer but that is seldom. I did buy several full length bra/panty gismos and they were much more comfortable because nothing was pulling on the breasts. It was there to rest on but they are a pain when nature calls and my but is almost non existent so they ride up and drive me crazy. you can never win
  16. kay

kay New Member

I have a mammagram, ever year! Trust me you wont die and it doesn't hurt like you have heard. It is very uncomfortable, but it is your life we are talking about. I also have cysts in the TA-TA'S and that is a good sign if they hurt! Its the nots and lumps that dont hurt that you have to watch out for. Like if you check them and you find a hard not, one that doesn't move, like a pea, then that is not good. YouR ta-ta's will be smatched only for a few seconds, so go and dont listen to negativity!!! If it was that bad, then no one would have it done!! I also hate wearing a bra! The minute I get home it comes off, some times even before I get home. If my hubby and I are out I and pulling the straps down through my sleeves of my shirt and off it comes!!! Now girl, you get on the phone tomorrow and make an appointment, and let us ALL know when it is, so we can be waiting to hear how it went!!!
  17. Val

Val New Member

Yes, I have painful breasts too. They seem so tender to touch and I can hardly stand clothing on them at times.
    These last few days they have really sent me crazy.
    And yes, the sharp pain at times but not often. I have no lumps or bumps or anything. I had a Hysterectomy five years ago so cannot relate it to a cycle.
    I have noticed other females mention this on F.M. sites and
    they put it down to the D.D. but if in doubt do as all these good people are telling you and have that mammogram.
    May your guiding star be bright...Val.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2002]
  18. kadywill

kadywill New Member

in 1989 and it was a horrible thing to see her go through. She'd had no symptoms. By the time she was convinced to have her first mammogram, it was too late. The cancer had metastasized and she lived two years. She treated it aggressively, but time had done it's job on her.
    I had breast cancer in 1996 and it was so deep near the bone that I'd have never known about it, either, until it was too late. My husband works for Lowes Company and one of the employee benefits was a free mammogram for the female employees or the male employee's wives. I didn't want to have one, but my husband insisted. I was sure that the results would be abnormal, even though I did monthly breast exams and had never found anything other than sore, lumpy breasts all the time. But, I had it and the results were abnormal just as I'd feared. I had a lumpectomy the following day and the surgeon said that I would've had little chance of survival if I hadn't caught this by mammogram when I did. Now, no amount of momentary physical discomfort can compare with the image of my emaciated, tiny, bald, frightened and pain-filled mother lying in the bed waiting to die. You should've seen what her chest looked like!!!! I will never get that image out of my mind. I would endure MUCH, MUCH worse to avoid dying like that. Please reconsider.
    Love,
    Kady
  19. Kim

Kim New Member

I had very painful breasts but mine were quite lumpy. I started using Evening primrose oil and the pain completely disappeared. They are never sore. Too bad the rest of me still is!!

Kim
  20. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

when it's you getting this done and you have a high pain threshold. For those of us with very LOW pain threshold, the pain can be excruciating. It's a waste of breath to say it's painless when we already know we are different than you are. You have NO idea of the fear involved here, so you could talk til you're blue in the face and it won't do any good.