Painful burning Bladder Spasms?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bronagh, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi everyone,

I started to get these painful burning pressure bladder spasms about 3 years ago, it mostly happens during the night, the pressure wakes me up and its, so painful that i have to hold the bottom of my stomach to walk to the bathroom, i find that i don't pass much urine when it happens, it's not so bad during the day but i do have the pressure feeling.

I have had an ultrasound done 2 years ago and all was fine.
    I put it down to Meno but i think i will mention it to the Rheumatologist on Monday in case it is linked to Fibro, i will also mention the underneath ribcage pain that i suffer to him.If he thinks that the bladder problem is not linked to Fibro i will insist on being sent further for tests by my Dr.

Have any of you got this bladder problem?

Thank you.

Bronagh:)
  2. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

There is always the possibility that you have interstitial cystitis. It is an inflammation of the bladder not caused by bacteria as in regular bladder infections. Do you also have to go to the bathroom many times during the day or night even though you have not had a lot to drink? You may want to ask your doctor to refer you to a urologist to be checked for this.
  3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I have experienced bladder problems much like yours but not as bad.

I was checked for infection etc. every thing OK there.

Dr. said it was contractions.

What I tried was: over the counter caps. for PMS.

They give me fairly good relief.

I feel kind of funny buying them as I am long past menopause.

But hey,whatever works.

Let us know what the Dr. says, my Dr. had no explaination except most likley another fibro thing.
    Take good care, Denamay
  4. amy24co

amy24co New Member

I've had bladder issues for a few years now...have read alot about FM and it is definitly one of those irritating symptoms of FM. It drives me insane.......can be very painful and sometimes just annoying.....have you tried cranberry?
    Amy
  5. Always have it checked out, but a few times I have had this and it is interstial cysitis. It feels exactly like a bladder infection. Drink lots of water, even though the first couple days it is miserable, it eventually will get better. I took detrol for it and it really helped.
  6. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi Blondie,

No, i don't have to go to bathroom often, i'll ask the Rheumatologist about it, if he thinks it is not related to Fibro then i'll insist on my Dr sending me further.

My Bladder Ultrasound says everything is normal!!!!!

Thank you for your reply.

7. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Thank you Amy, Denamay and Fibrobutterfly for your help.

I don't want to make this thread too long by replying individually in case i'm not supposed to:)

I intend to see further about my problem if it is not related to Fibro.

Maybe it is a good idea to see further about it one way or another, will let you know how i got on with the Rheumatologist on Monday August 22nd.

8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I've been on Detrol for years for bladder spasms caused by another med (Reglan) I have to take. At least I think my problems are caused by Reglan. A lot of it is probably caused because I am post menopausal. I haven't tried to go off the Detrol to see if I can, yet. I have been thinking of doing that though.

I have to get up many times during the night to use the bathroom and I get a painful bladder in bed. My urologist said it was due to all the UTI's I have had during the past 5 years. I quit HRT years ago.

I am a heavy drinker and drink a lot of water at night, so what goes in has to come out. lol

The bladder problem was my main menopause problem when I was going through that, though. Don't know if the FMS has anything to do with it or not.

Hugs,
    Faye
    I also have diabetes type 2 now for 28 years.

9. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hello Faye,

It's difficult to know what exactly is causing the bladder spasms.

The strange thing about my bladder spasms is that i don't pass a lot and i don't have to go a lot either!!!!!!

Thank you for your help Faye.

Bronagh.
  10. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

For most of us with interstitial cystitis we cannot tolerate orange juice, tomato juice, caffeine. If you drink these things and feel a lot worse a few hours afterwards then there is a good possibility that you might have interstitial cystitis. The only way currently that I know of to for sure diagnose interstitial cystitis is to be completely put out in the operating room and have the bladder fully distended. That is how they diagnosed mine.
  11. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Well, that is strange, I do recall I do have some problem with bladder spasm, it would hurt so bad at night time. Its very misrable feeling. Its really hard to walk like you explained. I haven't mention to dr. This only happened once a while and I prop should mention to dr. However I do often experience burning when go bathroom. I was dx with UTIS five times in my life, and i suspected i had more than that. I learend to take care of myself by drinking more waters which helps, and... AVOID POP. FOr some reason, if i drink a lot pop or even drink little bit, i gets really burn. I went to dr one time for uti, and the dr saw me bring the pop in and she told me that the pop makes uti worsen, and buring as well. Maybe its help if you avoid pop or just drink less than you used to. Just idea. Now I'm wondering same thing as you, does this even part of FM? WEll like I said eariler, I'm still soo new at FM. :)
  12. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi Blondie and Angel,

Thank you for your help. I don't drink anything acidic because it makes Acid Reflux worse. I do drink decaffinated coffee sometimes, i think i should drink more water.

My problem is mostly at night, the pressure pain wakes me up, not that i get much sleep anyway, the pressure is so bad, like you said Angel i can hardly walk to the bathroom, i have to hold myself at the pit of my stomach, i don't pass a lot of urine and by morning i still don't pass a lot.

I have the pressure next day until around mid day when it fades away.

I got a break from this problem for a few months but it's back with a vengence.

As i've explained to you, i will be seeing the Rheumatologist this Monday coming, i will mention it to him in case it is linked to my Fibro, if it's not then i will have to PUSH my Dr ONCE AGAIN to send me for further investigations, i wouldn't mind but my Dr is a WOMAN, you would think she would understand female things.

I have had the odd bladder infection through the years, i had to go to Dr three weeks ago, my Dr was on holiday, i brought a sample but there was no infection, i had dreadful burning you know where, she didnt even examine me!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting tired of being ignored, i think it's time i started to shout "DO YOU SEE ME" if you know what i mean:)

Many thanks again to everyone for your help.