Painful Cold Sore

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Mar 10, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

About 5 years ago (age 42), I got a raging cold sore for first time, it covered the area from my lip to my nose and up into my nose. Talk about excrutiating. Then 2 years later again. Now I get one every spring. I use the antiviral ointment from the beginning which shortens the duration somewhat.

The swelling and throbbin is unbelievable. Is this another thing we have in common?

Sue in Ontario
  2. whoachief

whoachief New Member

Abreava works wonders for my cold sores. They still hurt & everything but seem to heal MUCH faster when I use it. Also Dr. one time gave me a presc. for acyclovir which seemed to help it heal faster too - if you can take this med. Good Luck!
  3. neen85

neen85 New Member

I used it for very dry skin and acne,but the patient testimonials are great for cold sores and other skin problems! Daneen
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

cold sores. yes it burns--but gets in there to to get the germs out
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you could try sea breeze astringent...it is by the clearisil acne face stuff...i heard a friend use to use it when she got her cold school...then i went to dental assisting school and that is what a teacher reccomended...

but htis was before allof those antivira meds for herpes...so maybe that could help as well..

please be careful about kissing people with that now...i am not saying yo don't alreadyknow, but i had a neighbor friend who did not honestly realize what a cold sore was...i had to show her on the internet it is a form of herpes and contagiious...well she already gave it to one of daughters...

well you can call dentist again...

jodie
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I got some from my doctor, it shortens the duration, but it is hard to get where most of the sore is, which is up into my nose! Ouch!!

Thanks for the kissing advice, unfortunately, I never have to worry about that......sigh.

Thanks for your input.

sue in Ontario
  7. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I get those terrible things too. They are the worst. I have had an ongoing outbreak of them this winter, about every 15 days and it has been VERY upsetting to me. The ones I've gotten recently haven't been treatable in the normal ways I've treated them in the past but before my most recent outbreaks I had a very good routine that would have them cleared up with 2-3 days (if they even blistered).

First at the tingle stage L-Lysine (orally) is the best. It usually will stop the cold sore from even blistering. But if it does blister, continue the Lysine but clean the blister with Hydrogen Peroxide and then put some Neosporin ointment on it. I have even used these on/in my nostril! Normally these 3 things will have them cleared up within a couple of days TOPS.

Hoep it works!
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for your post. Sorry to be so long to reply, have had a couple of rough days.

Every 15 days - you poor thing!!

I think I will have to look into the oral med, if it creeps any further up my nose - ouch, doesn't that hurt - you are the only other person I've heard of with that.

God Bless,
    Sue in Ontario
  9. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I'm sorry you are having a rough time, hope it gets better!
    Yes, unfortunately I get cold sores in/on my nostrils and then other ones way inside, but those are different.
    When I went to the pharmacy recently I bought some lip ointment with Lysine, teatree oil and some other stuff in it. I've been using that on my lips, hoping I won't break out with another set of blisters now that my recent breakout is cleared up...
    Definitely invest in some L-Lysine, they are in the vitamin/supplement area of any store or pharmacy. They really will reduce the time of a cold sore if not knock them out before they start. Some people take it everyday and it has stopped most of their breakouts completely, but I can't do that as the Lysine causes me some stomach pain and palpitation issues. I wish I could take it daily because it also seems to make my skin (facial) more tight and supple.

Anyway hope you are feeling better and have been able to get rid of those sores!

Sincerely
    JL