Painful Feet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Jun 3, 2006.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

I have read "old" posts on painful feet and found many situations and treatments.
    Mine have been hurting 24/7. On one heel, there is a very painful area. I haven't been to my primary yet, in the middle of insurance change.

So, I thought there might be some fresh ideas on causes & relief for painful feet and heels. I do have fibro.
    Thanks for any input.
    granmama
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Sounds like you probaby have plantar fasciitis. I have had it for a couple of years now in my left foot.

Stretching your foot upward as far as you can helps. I get my husband to do it for me or I stand against the wall and lean forward and put my weight on something while leaving my left foot against the wall. I can stretch my foot this way.

My rheumy told me to wear New Balance shoes. I got a pair of sandals by New Balance. They feel like Heaven. I don't hurt when I wear them.

If your foot hurts much worse when you first get up in the morning, it is surely plantar fasciitis.

Hope this helps,

Linda
  3. granmama

granmama New Member

Thanks Linda,
    I do stretch the foot that has the painful heel. It feels weird but I do get some relief from it. Pain medicine helps numb some, but I know it's still there.
    I have soaked feet in very warm water, ice water and changed shoes that have a round cushioned spot on the shoe's heel and it has helped some.
    Is Plantar Fascitis something that comes and goes? Do you have to see a doc for it?
    I searched the web for heel pain and that condition did come up. Many offered the above methods of relief. My feet sometimes burn too.
    My husband will massage them with lotion and of course it feels great and does seem to give me temporary flexability.
    granmama
  4. jeanna1982

jeanna1982 New Member

I HAVE HAD FEET PAIN 24/7 FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. I NEED SOME ANSWERS, YOU NAME IT, I HAVE HAD IT DONE SUCH AS: TEST, SCANS,INJECTIONS, SHOES, SPLINTS, CAST,INSOLES,LOTIONS, PILLS,MASSAGES,AND STRECHING NOTHING IS HELPING. I AM SORRY I HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE TO SAY TO HELP YOU GET RELIEF BUT HOPEFULLY YOUR FEET PAIN CAN BE TREATED. GOOD LUCK.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2006]
  5. spmary

spmary New Member

Good Morning....You have gotten some good advice and I'll add my 2 cents : I put ice on the bottom of my two feet.
    I use an ice pack, or you can freeaze water in a two liter drink bottle and rest your feet on that. You may need to wrap the bottle in a small towel. That gets me to sleep. The stretching is good too. Put the ball of your foot on a large book or stair step and move your heel up and down.
    Good luck. I had it in both feet. It is better in one now.Dr. Schols(?) has some heel huggers found at drug store or Wal-Mart to insert in your shoes. 7 or 8 dollars.
    The doctor ordered the same thing and they were $30.00! I don't know how long this lasts. I've had it about a month. Some of the others say thay have had it longer.

Let us know if you find a cure! Lol, Mary
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I get burning and pain in my feet. It's more prevalent in my right but both are affected. It's started to move upwards in to my legs.

My Rheumatologist (just say him this past week) said that many FM sufferes get neuritis (nerve pain) He recommended taking Neurontin or Lyrica for this. I'm going to wait for a bit 'cause I feel like I'm on too many pills already.

I find it gets worse into the evening.

Good luck.

CanBrit

Almost forgot....my rheumatologist swears by New Balance walkers. I wear them as much as possible.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2006]
  7. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I had to change my shoe size. I always was a 5 1/2
    until this DD hit.

Now, I wear size 6 WIDE. And when my feet start to hurt

after I have had the shoes or sneakers for over 6 months
    I put in Dr scholl's to cushion my feet more.

I was at a K-mart several years ago looking at
    easy-spirit sneakers. When a nice older lady came over to

me and said." hon, if you are going to do alot of walking ( I was going on vacation) she said do yourself

a favor and buy the next size up as your feet swell by the end of the day."

Best advice I ever got!!!!

8. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

You were asking if plantar fasciitis ever goes away. Some people say theirs did go away. I'm still praying for that to happen as I have had mine awhile.

I have been to two doctors, one a rheumy and the other my regular dr., with complaints of this. The advice I get from both of these drs is exactly what I told you: The stretches and wear New Balance shoes. Perhaps you could just wait until your next trip to the dr. and be sure to ask about this problem then. There is a surgery which is considered a last resort. I am not the least bit interested in surgery.

I have heard some people say that when they stretch the foot they hear popping noises where the fascia is breaking up. I've never heard anything like that.

I'm glad your hubby helps you. My husband will also massage my feet for me. It feels so good. He is much stronger than I am and he can get deeper into the muscles and joints. He can also stretch my foot for me better than I can stretch it myself.

New Balance shoes come in many, many styles and sizes. I have a EE width. I knew I had wide feet, but was surprised that I was wearing an EE.

There is a New Balance store in my city. The dr. gave me a prescription and told me they will give me 10% off with the prescription. I have not been to that store yet.

These shoes are expensive. The pair that I have were regular $119, but I got them clearanced at $23.99. Quite a discount, but now that I have been wearing them I can say I would be willing to pay most any price for the relief that they are giving me.

Google New Balance and you'll see the many styles and sizes. I'm going to be getting more when cool weather gets here since mine are sandals.

Sorry to ramble. This is a subject I know more about than I wish I did.

Hugs,

Linda
  9. granmama

granmama New Member

Today I had a wonderful pedicure. And yes, my feet did feel better. But once I became more active around the house, here came back "old pain" again.
    But, it was nice while it lasted.
    The best part of the pedicure in my opinion was when she was massaging & stretching my toes!
    I know it's not a cure, but hey I deserve pampering occasionally, right?

Many thanks to all replies and advice!

granmama of "8" now!!
  10. ohmygoodness

ohmygoodness New Member

Hi,

I have had foot pain getting progessively worse for about two years. My foot has gotten wider I think, I only know that shoe stretching is my friend and I bought one at a shoe repair place. Also in many stores they will stretch them for you (Naturalizer) as even a wide still seems hard on the tops of my feet too. I also try size 8's now. I do have bunions, but they don't actually hurt and I have heard that this surgery for those of us with fibro can be problematic.
    I will try New Balance now too thanks for that tip. I just had a double heel cortisone shots today, but it only seemed to accentuate my metatarsal and foot pad pain. I tried many inserts up to Spenco and Good Feet. Today I relented and went for the custom orthotics, which insurance does not pay for as I am not diabetic or have arthritis (does anyone know if I can fight this?) I have had numbing/tingling/itching/burning. I know I am not diabetic but those are also characteristics of diabetes as my husbans is insulin dependent and my brother also has these problems. So you might want to consider checking your sugars. Many times we just chalk everything up to the fibro, but it could be other things..
    I just started lyrica just at night 75mg tonight it is not working as well due to foot pain...
    I am trying acupuncture soon too. I just don't know, it seems like there is no set approach to this thing and it is frustrating to say the least. I hope some of this info helps you, it has helped me. Good luck all of you with foot pain, I could deal with the other pain, but the feet has really got me down. I had to get rid of many, many shoes and they weren't high heels or tight shoes! Just normal sensible shoes. Good luck, Karol