Painful Glands in Neck and other areas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Do any of you have painful glands in your neck that makes
    you feel like you have the mumps? Also, my glands in my arm and groin are tender.

This to me means there has to be an infection somewhere in my system, no?

I just feel like I am on a merry go round when I go to doctors as they are so clueless.

Thanks Tim
  2. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

i constantly have really swollen glands, mostly in my neck.
    when my FM flares up they seem to swell more.
    i think it's just another common symptom.
    my doctors have done millions of tests and can't find why my glands are so swollen,
    so i've just learned to kindof ignore it.
    i don't *think* it's anything to worry about =].
  3. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

When they are flared up like this, it is miserable.

Tim
  4. yuckie

yuckie New Member

Hi Tim,

I just wanted to say that although I've been sick for several years, I just had my first experience with this last week. The glands under my right arm were so bad I could hardly move. I was worried about infection and who knows what at first but I came on the this board and searched "swollen and painful glands" and found that it seems to be quite common. It did go away within about 1 week but like you say is very painful and disconcerting! If it recurs or worsens, I probably will drag myself to the doctor just to make sure. I just hate to put myself through that. Take care. Janice
  5. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I constantly have swollen glands. Mostly in my neck and back of head right below the scull. When I have flares they get worse and I also will get swollen glands under my arms, have had them in my groin and sub-clavical. I have had bi-opsis of the glands under my arms and everything was fine, Dr. thought of non-hodgkins lymphoma, also did a chest x-ray;(thought lung cancer because of sub-clavical swelling and only on one side.). Sometimes it get so bad in my neck and in the back near my scull I have to put ice packs on the pain gets so bad. One rhemy suggested sarcoidosis??? My massage therapist does lymphatic drainage and that helps after a day or two, first 24-48 hours are worse. I have noticed certain food will make them worse, milk and milk products, alcohol in any form. When it is humid and the baro-pressure is low it is also worse. In my years of having FMS and CFIDS this has been one of the worse symptoms. I know what I said does not help but you are not alone and in my case it is nothing 'serious"....
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I'm bumping this up because I have a very sore throat and swollen glands in my neck and I'm desperately seeking any ideas on how to soothe the glands (the throat is easy enough but the glands are just thobbing).

I think I just have a really bad virus that is kicking my poor CFIDS weakened body, but it could be a bit of a CFIDS flare, not quite sure.

My NP told me to try applying heat to the area, but ...

DOES ANYONE HAVE OTHER SUGGESTIONS??

Thanks,
    Ellikers
  7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

when my fm is raging it feels like the lymph nodes under my arms are swollen and bulging....it feels gross...

when i got strep throat while i have had FM it was obvious to me i was sick rather than just the aches and pains of FM...i felt awful..

have you had mono yet? i had awful pain in the same areas that are bothering you when i got mono at age 31....also, sore throat is a symptom of mono...the back of my neck got huge and hurt so bad....and the groin lymph nodes felt like they were bruised they hurt so badly...

the groin pain was the first sign of mono for me..

good luck!
  8. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

One of the first "strange" symptoms I had were the swollen glands under the armpits!!! I am sorry I seem so suprised. I have just been going through this for so long now and thought I was crazy. It was in 2000 I was having constant problems with my armpits just being in excrutiating pain, even called my mom to see if she knew what it could be...of course, no answer. I had had other symptoms as far back as puberty, but this is just another in a long line of signs that I wish I had known more about. They are flared right now. Same with my wrists and the soft spots on the hand just above the thumb, below the index finger. The little, soft U shape between the thumb and finger. I am sure some of you understand, shoot...I have understood more in a few days than I have in years!!!! May not physically feel better, but I most definately feel emotionally better. Do not feel as if I were insane!!! Again, thank you guys for being here!!!! Time to go cry in gratitude again. I can't believe how much just being diagnosed and finding people who go through what I go through can change your perception on things.
  9. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Nope, I haven't had mono, but I also have had the symptoms on and off for a year and have tested negative for mono like 4 times throughout this last year .... so I'm doubtful that's what it is. I have other symptoms of a virus along with the glands being swollen- sinus pressure, ears hurt, cough, etc - so I'm pretty sure I just have a raging virus ... I know what I can do for the other symptoms but it's the glands I know the least about ....

I guess I just have to keep drinking liters of water and hot tea and keep up all the immune supportive herbs and supplements I'm taking.

:)
  10. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Hi there,
    I also have swollen lymph nodes under my arms. They are so painful. I have had them constant now for about 4 months. My doc did a bunch of blood test and all came back normal. He said he didnot think lymphoma because the blood test were all ok. He doesnt feel like a biopsy is in order. He did give me predisone for when they flare up real big. I try not to take it as it makes my face BIG.
    I do have to confess that when they flare up they are the size of a marble but soft and movable. I get so freaked out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mind thinks "what if" and its off from there. Even though the doc reasures me that everything is ok I think the worst. I feel soooooooo tired and my throat hurts, I cant put my arms down, and I just want to stay in bed. Sounds serious to me!!! Feels serious to me!!!
    I guess its not because I have had this a long time and still kicking LOL.
    I do hope you get to feeling better.

Take care
    Melinda
  11. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

This is one of the defining symptoms of CFIDS. It has caused lots of problems for me because of my previous history of breast cancer. You can imagine the problems when lumps are appearing in your neck and armpits after you've had breast cancer.

I was sent back and forth to surgeons and sonograms. Finally,I had a bone scan, and CT scans of the brain,chest, & abdomen. Now we just over look them and blame it on the CFIS. I pray that the cancer is gone. I just could not continue the drama.

The lymph node swelling is better now. It lasted for 24 months. The symptoms of this disease cycle(of so my doctor said).

I have found massage to help so much. I have lymphatic draining and it has helped me more than anything else.

Best of luck to you and if it is possible for you, please find a qualified therapeutic massage therapist to help you.
  12. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

So Frustrating. My lymph system hurts something awful and they just blow it off.

So frustrating.
  13. ellikers

ellikers New Member

THANK YOU for your replies!

I actually went to my nurse practitioner yesterday because I was feeling so bad and it wasn't getting better. I thought I might be getting a massive sinus and ear infection. I'm waiting for results on a throat culture to see what is causing my glands to react so strongly, and she gave me a med to help the inflammation.

Bet64, thank you for your suggestions! They sound great, and I've been doing something very similar to ease the pain! :) I have a heating bag that I made out of extra flannel fabic I had laying around and I filled it with plain old uncookef brown rice. I modeled it after some I saw in the store that have herbs in them (and are far more expensive than my homemade one). I just put it in inside in the microwave for a couple minutes and then PRESTO- instant heating pad.

Oh, and like the vicks, last night I came up with a mixture to massage the area with! I mixed sweet almond oil (like for massage use) with rosemary and lavender essential oil and then gently massaged the area (after I already took an anti-inflammatory med I got from my nurse practitioner yesterday) and then applied more heat ....

I'm feeling somewhat better today, I think it's probably a combination of rest, the above mentioned methods, drinking tons of water and taking lots of vitamins and supplements to help my immune system.

Thank you again! :D
  14. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

yes i get them bad underarms and neck worse in the begainning for me, now accationally gl onna
  15. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Tim:
    I have given up worrying about the swollen glands I have.
    They come and go. I used to worry and always got them checked and for some reason I was told to wait it out. I did and they would disappear. However, I was glad I made the intial contacts with the doctors to put my mind at ease.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  16. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i am so grateful to hear that i am not alone in my armpit pain....so sorry for all of you but i am sort of surprised to hear how common it is...i used to have it all the time but now only when things arr out of control....i think it is either a progression of FM /Cf or i have better pain management....

also, in the first year in addition to the freaky armpit pain, i had agonizing finger pain....on the palm side of my middle fingers right above themiddle bone....i couldn't open the fridge or the cupboards ...that pain has disappeared ..i couoldn't even touch the spot.....i am in my third year...i wonder if we do go through cycles orcertain things happening in certain order...

i also used to feel like i had bone cancer thqt was undiagnosed because of the pain....it was scary....
  17. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I too have suffered from swollen glands as far back as puberty. This was also when my immune system started to fail me! I got my first of many, many sinus infections and of course caught every little bug and flu that was going around.

The glands in my neck and armpits have always been the MOST painful for me... though i have pain at the base of the skull and in the groin area too.

Recently, i switched to an organic deodorant that i purchased at the health store, and the glands in my armpits went down immediately!!! NO joke! The pain has been so bad at times i have had to use pillows to prop my arms up with. Not any more!!!! Have you ever read the ingredients on your tube of deodorant? These chemicals were not intended to enter our bodies.

Now... If, i could just find the solutions for all the other glands!!!!

TM~
  18. findmind

findmind New Member

A friend told me to do this for the swollen glands in base of skull and along sides of neck:

Place right hand on far left side of neck, curve fingers tightly to side neck.

Turn head to the left while holding the fingers to that left side

Now, turn your head slowly to the right, pulling fingers tightly across the neck to the right side, following your head as it turns to the right.

Reverse the order (left hand on far right side, head turned right also, pull to left, both hands and head.

I find it gives me instant relaxation in neck and base of skull, feels so so good!

Hope it helps someone...
    lostmind
  19. ellikers

ellikers New Member

ooooooh, yay! More info. Thanks for sharing folks. I've got more things to think about and try out.

:)
  20. hi manwithfibro.. i have these painful glands too.especially the ones under the arms,,in the arm pit,and in my groin.
    i was told by my doctor years ago,that this signals that the body is currently fighting a virus.but all my blood work comes back saying that all is well.

i find it all very frustrating because im in so much pain.
    im in the uk and i suffer from fibromyalgia and ME/chronic fatigue syndrome.ive had these illnessess for many years.i feel ill alot of the time,but my doctor is frustrated with it all,just the same as i am.

im begining to think that we fibro sufferers need a different sort of test from the ones that none fibro people have..i keep feeling that theres something in our body saying...here i am..look for me..but the ordinary blood tests arent picking it up.

when will that one special person from the medical field,come along and find THE TEST for the fibro..its got to be some sort of infection lurking around in there somewhere..the swollen glands are testimony that some nasty thing is bothering our immune system.

kind regards
    fran