Painful lumps in neck, jaw and ear.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chestercat, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Chestercat

Chestercat New Member

I have had a lot of pain on the right side of my face, head, ear and neck for many years.
    A physiotherapist used to use trigger therapy to try to disperse muscle spasms but I don't go anymore as I can't afford it. I now try to treat myself, which is a bit hit and miss, but sometimes brings shortlived relief.
    The last few months the pain in my neck, especially under my ear, has intensified to a very deep pain, and it is so bad I can barely stand to keep the pressure on it. If I manage to brave it out and maintain the pressure, it does improve eventually. But not for long.
    Also, recently I've noticed that when I swallow, there seems to be a kind of 'clicking' in my throat on the right side at the front, which is very uncomfortable. I seem to be forever jabbing at my muscle knots to try and ease the pain.
    Anyone have any similar experiences?
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have very tight muscles in my neck (front and back), shoulder, upper back, etc. I don't have any behind my ear or do I have the swallowing problem. The swallowing problem seems like it should be checked by a doctor...doesn't sound right that you have trouble swallowing.

I didn't know how bad I was until I went to a therapy and they did a trigger point massage. Oh, the relief. It didn't last very long, and I have tried to do some myself...like you, with greater or lesser result. I will be going back on Wednesday to have another session. I am very grateful to have insurance.

I wounder if a muscle relaxer might help relax you? Have you tried one? Other than that, just baths, hot tubs, etc. that I can think of, but really, the TPM is the best thing. I am sorry you can't continue it.

Please do call your doctor! Your throat clicking, etc. should really be checked out.

Best wishes for some relief on a consistent basis.

Sue
  3. Chestercat

Chestercat New Member

Thank you so much for your advice. I've had pain for the last 15 years and I've got to the stage where I can't be bothered with even trying anything new anymore. But then the pain goes up a few more notches and I start trying to find help on the internet.

I was hooked on high doses of codeine for 10 years, but somehow, God knows how, I managed to come off them. When I took them, I felt good for about 2 hours and then as they wore off I was in more pain than before, and my nerves were in shreds. My family really suffered due to my severe mood swings.

I take sertaline 100mg every morning in the summer and 150mg every morning in the winter. I simply can't function without. Sometimes my brain feels like a bag of marbles with a hole in it!

About the throat clicking, my doctor said it was just cartilidge, which was to be expected at my age. (43) You can see why I don't have a lot of faith in the medical profession. I am going to be seeing a different doctor in future.

I've had a lot of problems with my teeth due to grinding and clenching. My dentist made me a guard to wear at night which helps a bit. I've never heard of TMJ though. What is that?

Thanks again for your posts. It's nice to talk to people that understand.

Dawn. (chestercat)