Painful mammogram

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pansygirl, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Had my routine mammogram this morning and wow was that painful.

I've had them regularly for at least 4 years now and I remember that they are uncomfortable and hurt some but on a pain chart this was probably a 20 on the scale, it was way way off the charts as far as pain goes.

Anyone else have this much pain with their mammogram?

Very gentle hugs, Susan

2. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

I so feel this one with you ! My last mammogram was very painful . When I told the lady who did it , she said " that's why you were in so much pain , I was wondering" Turns out she has fibro in her family . It was nice that she understood.

I hope you feel better now.

3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i dont think i will ever go for one i will get sonograms instead there is no way i could take the pain
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Well my moms last mammogram was very painful. She said so painful that she may never get one again. However she was very happy that she had this done. It caught breast cancer (that would not have shown on a sonogram) in it's very early stages and she is now able to get rid of it.

Mammograms may be very painful but they are still worth getting. My mother has had breast cancer twice now. Not all cancers will show up on's not worth the chance of missing a cancer until it is too late and it has spread to lymph nodes and other parts of the body.

I have watched my mom go through a lumpectomy, chemo, and now a mastectomy....believe me...I will take my pain meds, maybe ask for something extra for that one day from my doctor, but I will still regularly get mammograms done regardless of the pain. Because one (or 2 or 3) days of pain from a mammogram is MUCH better than having a cancer I don't know about and therefore can't treat!!
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I do agree that mammograms are important ~ as breast cancer does run in my family as well.

I think next year I will try taking a pain pill before I go and see if that helps with some of the pain.

I was just so unprepared for the level of pain that I felt.:(

I didn't know you could do a sonogram for breast?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had that much pain with it.

I'm still hurting ~ but the pain meds are helping.

very gentle hugs, Susan
  6. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I would take a mucscle relaxer, nerve meds and pain pill before and have a few for after. If you don't usually have any on hand ask the dr to prescribe some for it. I mean it hurts like H---! If it a male dr you see it may be harder to get them, I bet they would hand them out voluntarily if they had to have one on their, you know. crispangel
  7. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

oh boy do they hurt I take pain meds before i go but it still hurts i go even though there is no breast cancer in my family
  8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

to do about this. I have such pain if I just bump my breasts and my little dog now and then will be laying on mylap and use my breast to push off to hurry and jump down. When she does that it just sends me through the roof. I just can't imagine having both breasts squeezed that way. I've also read some reports that if you have a clump of cells it can cause them to spread? They have a heat test, sonogram and a water table where you let your breasts hang in the water and they test that way. If anything is seen THEN they call for a mammogram. Just don't know what to do!