painful menstrual cycle...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Julie24, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Julie24

Julie24 New Member

Does anyone here have very painful menstrual cycle? i have noticed in the last 3 yrs my cycle has been very painful..before i wouldnt even know i had them....now i need to take my birthcontrols 3 months straight and skip periods because of the pain it gives me...just wondering if this is a side effect of FM??

2. loto

loto Member

In my case, I put up with painful, heavy periods, and my family doc told me it's something that just happens as you get older. Well, I hadn't even hit 40 yet.
    So, I went to a gyno, and right off the bat he ran tests and the whole works.
    Turns out I had a baseball sized fibroid in my uterus that was causing all the problems.
    I, like you, wondered if it was from Fibromyalgia, but no, I had this thing growing inside me, and it also sucked up all my iron. I was anemic, and after I had my uterus removed, my iron level is fine.
    Anyway, that's what I found out. And, of course, I no longer have periods. But, now I'm having a problem with a functional cyst that is on my ovary, and won't go away. You see, I chose to keep my ovaries so I wouldn't go directly into menopause.
    Now, I wish I'd have had my doctor take everything.
    But, if I were you, I'd see your gyno, or find a good one, and tell hin/her you want some answers as to why your periods are so dreadful.
    I'm glad I finally found another doctor who listened and did a full exam.

Let me know what you decide!

loto
  3. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Julie,

I had endometreosis since 16. I had severe pain with my periods and once the endo grew around muscles in my back and bowels, I had pain so bad I vomited.

I've had all my girlie parts removed because of it. I feel 1 MILLION times better in my abdomen now.

I have seen lots of women on here say they have had "girl issues". I don't know if it's related or not... but there are lots of women on here that can relate.

I would definitely tell your doctor what you've notice. There are many, many reasons this could be happening.

Good luck,
    Wendysj
  4. Pookieprissyone

Pookieprissyone New Member

Hi Julie,

My menstrual cycle became progressively worse. I would use two of those thick maxi pads at ngiht and still go through them. At the end I went nearly three weeks most of it heavy with pain so terrible I couldn't walk straight. DH knew not to talk or touch me, just have the heating pad out.
    If not for Tylenol 3 I would never have been able to work. Right after I turned 25 I had to have a hysterectomy. (Still have ovaries, thankfully they were okay.)

I thought I read somewhere that many females with FMS/CFIDS had bad menstrual cycles like this. Wish I could remember where I'd seen the info. Maybe do a Google search?

Hugs and all the best,
    Pookie