Painful rib cage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I have a question:
    I have a painful spot right where the ribs are under the band of my bra. Sometimes I can't lie on my side because I feel like my ribs are sticking into me (trust me there is lots of padding so that can't be it).

My Rheumy says that lots of FM people complain about pain in that area and there is nothing to worry about.

I was wondering if anyone else has something similar. Do you think it is myofascial pain syndrome or muscles spasms? Some days I can't wait to get my bra off at the end of the day!

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  2. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I get that pain also, it feels like it's bruised or kicked. I started wearing camisoles instead of bras last year because of the discomfort. That has helped some. I hope you find relief.

kat
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I also get pain under my left ribcage, where the ribcage ends. It comes and goes. Sometimes it feels like when you run real hard and get that stabbing pain in your side. I had it for several weeks and got it checked out to be sure. The doctor had an ultrasound done and nothing! Unfortunately, they looked at my right side also, and I ended up getting my gallbladder removed for stones. That wasn't even hurting! Lol! Oh well, I guess it saved me from that pain later. You should at least get it checked if you are concerned, it can't hurt to make sure. Have a great day! Kim
  4. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Please do check out myofascial pain syndrome, also costochondritis...

Just checking in with my half-cent worth.

Lea.
  5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks everyone!

I am fairly new here, mostly just read posts, as I don't know what to say. So it is wonderful to have replies to my question!

When my ribs feel like this I often feel like my breathing is restricted too so I am thinking that all the muscles around my chest and back are tight. I have tried chiropractor adjustments but the relief doesn't last very long. I used to go once a week and it gave me a lot of relief for back pain and headaches but now I can't afford them anymore.

It is nice to have other people understand, instead of look at my like I am nuts!

hugs all Marion (Redwillow)
  6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Costochondritis: that is a new word for me. I will definitely look that up and see what I can find. So is Bowen technique, I will look that up too.

I have read some information about myofascial pain, but was overwhelmed and confused by how to treat it on my own.

I agree it feels like a bruise or someone kicked you in the ribs. I wish I could still wear a camisole but out in public I need a little more help than that.

Thanks again to everyone to replied to me. It feels good to know that others understand.

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  7. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

If my ribs hurt and I have a hard time breathing I go to the bone cracker and have him work on my ribs. Usually I will have a rib out of place.

when I wear a bra my body swells around it within a hour or two so now I just let them hang to my knees! ;-) I only wear a bra for weddings, and funerals and soon as it is over off it goes. I once took off my bra and left it at the church then during the reception a little girl came in the room carring my bra and was asking the ladies if they had lost one!!! I was so embrassed that I left before she could ask me!
  8. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thank you so much for this post Nanjee. I was just reading the same thing in one of your earlier posts. I have had this problem on and off for years, and have mentioned it to other people with FM but didn't realize it had its own name.

I am always like a kid with a new toy when I get new informations so I will be researching on the internet for more information about this condition.

Sometimes it seems impossible to find a comfortable position to sleep at night. As they say misery loves company and it is great to get so many wonderful replies!

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  9. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks for the taking off your bra is church story. Just what I needed to make me laugh! I recently went grocery shopping and realized after I got there that my t-shirt was on inside out. Good thing they had a restroom!

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  10. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

Hi Marion..

I'm pretty new here, just scanning bunches of posts, and adding my 2 cents..

I too, have severe bouts of painful ribs, and have actually started wearing sports bras more often because my fav underwires hurt.. (haven't taken the bra off in church yet(!) but hey, I'm young yet...

My doc did an EKG to make sure there was nothing else going on, and some myofascial release (although exTREMely painful during), gave much needed relief, after...

Hugs,
    Brenda
  11. jdkc

jdkc New Member

I'm a lurker here and your post describes me. I have a tender spot just under the band of my bra on my left side. Its sore most of the time. I never related it to FM.

I've always worn an underwire, otherwise I'd be hanging to my toes. When I went in for a mammogram, nurse said that area sticks out a little more than my right side but there wasn't any swelling.

I take my bra off the minute I get home.

Guess its nice to know I'm not alone.

Dana
  12. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Wow, this is great to have so many replies! Thanks for the wonderful welcome.

hugs everyone
    Marion (Redwillow)
  13. lisabk

lisabk New Member

That's exactly how I feel.

I've never tried massage there, though - I have to think it'd hurt like nobody's business.