Painful Shoulders

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jan 27, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hi all:
    I am having a terrible time with my shoulders. They plain out hurt like heck. I have been on a heating pad most of the day but have gotten no relief. I took some pain meds and it barely made a difference. Any ideas? Help!
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  2. atowne

atowne New Member

I know all about that all too well over a year of pain and finally dx of fm.... Stretching some will help but heating pad my best friend Good Luck
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Maybe "painful shoulders" is in the air! Mine have been hurting so much the last couple days that I'm about to go back down to the heating pad. It's hard to get both the shoulders and lower back and hip with one heating pad. (-: I wonder if a hot shower beating on your shoulders would help?

Hope you are better soon.

Sue
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Mine is like wrapped around my shoulders all the way around my shoulders in a circle like of pain. I have had this flare most of the month and it is driving me crazy.

I kept forgetting to get my rice sock and heat it up. Mostly have been taking pain meds for this.

Wish I knew how to get rid of it.

Hope you will soon feel better.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

My pain started out in both shoulders. This past week though, it has been all in the left shoulder. The pain is so sharp that it goes down and where my bra strap lands, if it rubs the wrong way, will send pain all the way down my arm. And numbness goes to the tip of my fingers on my hand too. What fun this is.
  6. mrslevite

mrslevite New Member

A hot shower usually helps me. I think the cold weather has a lot to do with me hurting now. When I go outside and get cold, the pain gets a lot worse.
  7. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

I found out how to make a HOME MADE RICE SOCK!!

first i really did take my husbands longest sock, and filled it with rice, then put it in microwave for a couple of minutes, BE CAREFUL, try one mintute at a time first okay!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! loved it

then had idea, sew my own type, i made one so that both sides of neck gets heat at same time, working on copy for entire neck, & both shoulders with Sh, blades covered.

Anyway, try it, sooooo nice, but not always comfy, work with it.

saph
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

for me either. I had a terrible bout when we didn't have a boxspring under our bed for awhile, just two saggy old mattresses. Couldn't get it up the stairs of this 125 yr old house, i had to finally order Ron to chisel his way up the stairs. heh, he did too, and got that puppy up there.

While it was getting so bad I could barely move my head, I noticed a hot shower did better than anything. Hot bath w/ epsom salts helps too, but our bath is so friggin tiny, my shoulders don't go in. Something else to renovate in this old house.

The rice sock works really well too. Just get a man's big sock and half fill w/ rice, so it's flexible, will contour around well, but not too heavy. Nuke it for a bout a minute. it will give off moist heat for at least half an hour. Impresseive pain relief too.

Good luck w/ it too. Check your mattress too, maybe it's not padded enough. I started to get those pains back when I washed my good mattress pad and left it off the bed too long.

jeanne
  9. kbak

kbak Member

NyroFan,
    I have terrible trouble with my right shoulder and arm. I've had carpal tunnel surgery & cupital tunnel surgery. It helped my wrist pain pretty much and only helped my elbow pain somewhat. My shoulder still has been killing me. I'm not suppose to type, because it agravates my pain, but how the heck can you communicate with people if you don't? Anyhow, after saying all that, my Rhummy doc put me into physical therapy, and I'm doing exercises in the pool to strenthen my shoulder.

The first day I did it, I thought I was going to die I hurt so bad. Everyday since, I've been doing better. I feel like I might have some hope. It really has helped my pain level. Exercising in the pool takes the strain off the exercises. It's something you might want to look into.

Good Luck! I hope things get better for you.
    K.

10. betsboop

betsboop New Member

i put up with painful shoulders and complained about them to my gp for almost 7 years, had xrays taken that showed nothing and finally got to the stage where he sent me to the orthopedic surgeon...finally..surgery was done, torn ligament, rotator cuff surgery, bone spur removed, and antiinflammatories for the bursitis..because i did not get in soon enough, my ligament is like rubber and will always give me problems with pain but the rest is alright..just because you have fibro..don't think that there is nothing wrong with your shoulder..if it lasts longer than your usual fibro pain (and only you know this) dig deeper! complain more..do something..don;t let your doctor tell you that it is "just your fibro" and send you home.. i could have pain free shoulders right now if i hadn't listened to my gp..
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Rice sock

Get a pound or two of long grain rice and some whole cloves. You just get a long clean sock and pour as much rice as you want and add the cloves. Then you can close the top with rubber bands. Use several in case one breaks. lol

Then just microwave it until it is hot enough for you. That's it and it really works! Do not use instant rice or it will mush up. You can also put the socks in the freezer.

Hugs,
    Faye