Painful speculum exams, Ladies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Daffodildeb, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Daffodildeb

Daffodildeb New Member

Ladies:

Do women with CFS/FMS have speculum exams that are more "uncomfortable" that "normal" women? Even if my Gynecologist uses a small, plastic speculum, I find my speculum exams to be VERY uncomfortable. I was fine with the exams before being diagnosed with CFS/FMS.

Thank you!

Peace and warm blessings!

Deb
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

We supposedly don't have much feeling inside, esp. the cervical area, or so they've always told me.

I've always felt plenty, the giant popsicle stick scraping part is particularly painful.

jeanne
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

According to my former physical therapist, it is not unusual for women of middle age and beyond to have a raised pelvic floor which makes pelvic exams difficult. There is even a name for the condition, but of course, I cannot remember what it is. A physical/massage therapist that has a LOT of training and experience in myofascial release and is certified for internal work might be able to help you.
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

My gynecologist has me on hormones. He says if I stop taking them my cervix will atrophy and sex will be really uncomfortable. He told me to get the KY moisturizer and use a little bit everyday and also during sex.
    Since I didn't start taking hormones immediately after my hysterectomy I know what he is saying is true.
  5. Remnant

Remnant New Member

So I'm not alone!

Sure it was uncomfortable in the past, but in the last 5 years, it is nearly unbearable...especially the pipe cleaner swabber they use to collect cells. Absolutley horrible.

And, intercourse over the last 5 years is NOT enjoyable, either. I will do it, because I do feel the mood, but then once we try it, I encourage my husband to just hurry up. I think in the back of my mind, that maybe it wil be different next time... TY , I will now speak to my gyno about this. Thanks!
  6. scotlandrose

scotlandrose Member

The Gyno exams are very painful now. Too sick to try to find a boyfriend at this time but I'll bet sex will be painful as well.

Stupid disease.

Scotland rose
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

It is VERY uncomfortable indeed ... and I have a tipped uterus that throws more out of wack .. been putting that off but my doctor reminded me it has to be done ..uterine cancer in family .. sigh
    Fudge
  8. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I am so glad you posted this Deb!I have been having problems with my smear tests for 2 years now.Never used to before.When it got really sore and painful I had to stop it cos I couldnt stand it.

The nurse did not know what was wrong either and I was sent to someone else a few weeks later and the same thing happened.They were going to send me to hospital to get it done under anesthetic cos I had had cell changes and needed it done every 12 months.

When I got the last one it was only because the nurse who did it was soooooo patient and understanding and knew what I needed to get it done.She said my cervix was tilted and so she used a longer thing(I forget what it is called)to collect the cells and I survived it!!!

I still dread the next one though because of the pain.

I had to laugh at elastigirl stating the thrilling description of A COLD PIECE OF METAL WITH TWO KNIVES ATTACHED coming at me!LOL!How true!

Rena

9. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Having a stranger work on the involved trigger points, some of which are external, is certainly no worse than having a stranger do a pelvic exam. Not as bad, in my opinion. Even the 'internal' trigger points are barely internal.
  10. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

all the way into the Waiting room, that's how bad it is for me.
    I have the Combo, FMS/CMPD, and then also another condition, and it's the most Painful exam, I have.
    I usually take 2 Norco's and a Soma, the DH drives me there, so it dosen't hurt quite as bad, as it used to before I was dx with FMS/CMPD.

sharonk
  11. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

reading the posts above I have to go for my mamagram Jan I am dreading it already I wondered why it was so painful now I realise its the fms
    linda
  12. darude

darude New Member

Yup painful alright!!!! My doctor shocked me when I jumped up as so painful and ahe made a joke. She said "it's from lack of use Annie!" Hilarious!
  13. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Before Fibro, I never felt any pain in that area - I even had a couple of biopsy type things done and it wasn't much more than uncomfortable. After Fibro, it hurts to put in a tampon and the exam is now uncomfortable. I can't imagine how it would feel if I had a husband to satisfy. I'm back on depo provera to stop my periods because of the awful cramps and the tampon thing.
  14. FM58

FM58 New Member

If you suffer from absolute "Extreme" pain w/ an exam, during sex, sometimes urinating or having a BM or even you just feel vaginal pain anytime (even just sitting!)- this could possibly be "pelvic floor dysfunction"

Yes, there are physical therapist's that know what they are doing & can do both external & internal work, myofascial release work to help with this. They can prescribe different exercises & devises (an internal TENS unit or biofeedback). PT will most definetely help if you do have pelvic floor pain. If your gyn does not know anything about this- try a uro-gynecologist.

You might also call your state's Dept of licensing for PT - ask them for a name of someone certified in womens health, pelvic floor PT near you. I have to get all referrals from my primary, so I insisted on this referral!

This kind of PT has been helping me, although I still do have pain. I have had pain when a doc had just gently touched me various places on my pelvic floor with a q-tip. He saw just how my muscles reacted (spasmed).

For anyone w/ Pelvic Floor Dysfunction - best of luck to you. I truly hope you can find a way to resolve your problem.

Gentle Hugs,
    Patty
  15. HBanana

HBanana New Member

Although it's horrible that we all go through this, I found myself relieved that other people react to exams this way. They have always been extremely painful for me, and I have always been shocked to hear my gyno say that it won't hurt. I get anxious and queasy everytime I have to get an exam. I have pain when putting in tampons, too, and sex has yet to be comfortable. Fortunately, my boyfriend is very understanding, but it's really frustrating and can be devasting to feel interested emotionally but have your body react so negatively to what should be a wonderful experience.

I can't believe people say it's impossible to feel pain there!! WE feel it!

~Hannah