Painkillers and itching...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aglaia, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Aglaia

Aglaia Member

I only take heavy painkillers when I have extremely severe Fibro flare-ups and am bedridden, but the problem is that every painkiller I've used has caused extreme itching.

The itching is so intense that I literally have to use a fork (yes, a fork!) to scratch all over my body - including my scalp! It's awful!

These are the painkillers I've tried (that have caused the intense, unbearable itching):

- Codeine

- Morphine

- OxyContin

- OxyNorm

- Fentanyl Patches

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other painkillers?

Thanks! :)
  2. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I was advised to take an anti-histamine (Benadryll) to calm the itching. :)

3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I had terrible itching with lortab which I now take as darvocet quit working and is off market.

take benadryl. I just stuck it out!!! Fentanyl patches mild itching but had problems with the adhesive part.

what is oxynorm? what has your doc said? is there something in these your allergic too? have you tried percocet? methadone?

good luck :)
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

and I use about a 1/2 tablet of Zyrtec--the generic over the counter kind works great and it won't affect your blood pressure--if you have those issues.

Sometimes it is not the pain medicine that makes us itch, but the binding ingredients they use.
  5. rocky76

rocky76 Member

Zantac is for stomach problems but works like
    benedryl and stops the histamine from working in your stops the itching for me and settles my stomach at the same time...
    you can get it over the counter ......
  6. IanH

IanH Active Member

Zantac may be helpful for some but it is a H2 antagonist. Most atopic itching involves the H1 histamine receptor and people might be better taking an H1 antagonist. H2 antagonists cut down stomach acid and for some that might not be a good thing. There is some evidence that H2 antagonists, such as zantac, in blocking histamine at the H2 receptor also increase the release of a cytokine, Interleukine-12, which is involved in anti-inflammatory processes. This suggests it may have some pain reducing effect but the dose would be far higher than the recommended dose for acid reduction.
  7. Aglaia

Aglaia Member

I forgot to mention that I take an antihistamine with the painkillers (Alimemazine - I live in Europe and that's what they've given me), but it doesn't help at all. I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks for the help. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/23/2011]