Pains in your head that come on quickly and disappear quickly??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by texasratgirl, Feb 15, 2007.

1. texasratgirl

texasratgirl New Member

I get these pains "headaches" that come on very quickly. They last anywhere from a couple minutes to 15 or so.

The pain the very severe and brings me to tears. The only thing that seems to help is having my honey put both hands on my head and just squeeze.

Then the pain just goes away, doesn't linger at all, it's just gone.

Does anyone else get these??? And if so do you know that it is???

I get them in the same couple spots when they happen. It is not an all over head pain. Its very localized.

thanks for any light you can shead on this. TRG
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

bump for input -

I'm afraid I'm not much help here. I get horrible pains in my head if I miss a dose of my Cymbalta.. also Migraines

I would talk to your doc about this.
  3. are they sharp shooting pains in your head? I have gotten those yrs ago and OMG! The dr. said they were caused by a virus. I would check with your dr. if they continue.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2007]
  4. momof471

momof471 New Member

I get daily head aches, but twice in the past month in the right side of my head I get a sharp stabbing that is enough to bring you to your knees and take your breath away. After about 10 minutes they went away. They are pretty scary. Hubby wanted to take me to the ER, but I did not want to hear the its fibro thing. At the time I also had an unexplained painful swollen lymph node in my jaw on the right side.

5. foggygirl

foggygirl New Member

I get this "lightening strike" ziggy pains that come out of nowhere and are usually across my forehead.

I also get what feels like someone jamming a hot poker just above my right eye and into my hairline above my temple.

Other weird headaches, but these two are the worst(or scariest). They don't last long...but really carry a punch!

I'm hoping there is an answer also.

Foggygirl
  6. apl

apl New Member

I get these too, and they are frightening.

They are totally different from a tension headache or "regular" headaches that I've had before. They come on quite suddenly and are localized to certain sections or even just a single point. Sometimes when they happen I get dizzy or a funny smell.

I kind of freeze up in intense pain and try not to move until it stops. Sometimes it takes a minute to go away, sometimes hours. Very scary when it's happening, but I also have been reluctant to go to the doc. I've had bad experiences with docs and a headache my husband had for 6 months - they never could figure out what was wrong.

I imagine we should all bring this up with our docs though. I have a referral to a neurologist soon to get some seizure-like activity checked out anyway. I'll try to remember to post here if I get any info on these headaches.
  7. texasratgirl

texasratgirl New Member

to answer one reply...

yes they are like stabbing pains, very sharp.

I went to a neurologist a couple years ago, and he sent me for an mri, but didn't find anything.

Don't know if I should get this checked again, and if so by who??
  8. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I get those now and then ... but I live with constant migraines ... I thought it might be a stroke (but obviously not)
  9. Calleigh

Calleigh New Member

My pains are neuralgia - trigeminal neuralgia. I get them a couple of times a year and they usually last a few days. I get a sharp stabbing pain (localized), sometimes several times in a row, and it's bad enough to make me wince and cringe. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found anything to ease the pain!
  10. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I get these too and have ever since I became sick about 3 years ago. Mine come on very quickly and nomally last from a few seconds to a minute or so.

If I'm walking or standing I have to hold onto something until it passes. I also always close my eyes for some reason.

I've had 3 MRIs, 2 EEGs, and at least 3 CTs: I am the picture of health according to them.

You're not alone.

Shar
  11. angelajj

angelajj New Member

gives me these 'zingers' as I call them. I would also get a migraine with aura if I have any aspartame. I think these shooting pains have a lot to do with chemical sensitivities.

Angela
  12. mary124

mary124 New Member

I get them on and off. Start in the back and go to the front, usually on the right side. One time had one so bad that I did black out, went to the neu and thought I did have an brain aneryism(?);because I a few years before that I had a aortic aneryism so he was concern. But after running a few CT scans he did find something, (can't remember the medical term) and he put me on some Topomax (I take 150mg at night plus some vitamins that I get at a local pharmacy) and they have helped till recently. I have to go back to see him in March, so I'm going to let him know that they are coming back.
  13. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

When I started with my fibro symptoms, I used to get these...look up "Ice pick headaches". I think this is what I had.

Joann
  14. dawn44005

dawn44005 New Member

hi i have read your letter and found it interesting as i have had same sort of headachs went to my doc many a time about them but she says they tenson or stressed pains but i find that hard to believe as times i think my head going to burst open and they certatly do not feel like stress or tenson at the time pain would be only parts of my head at times were i wouldnt be able to touch it other times it would be my whole head and pain is so bad that i cant even talk have rang my doc on many a nights when it so painful but again she puts it down to stress and thats what i find hard to belive take care all and i can only wish for us all to have pain free
  15. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

When I used to get them I was sure I was suffering an anurysm (spelling???). It was a very small, localized spot that hurt more than any migraine I have ever had. Scarey, but in my case they were harmless (icepick)

Joann