Painting In My Profile

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I put my painting I did for over my sofa in my profile. It's a bit distorted, either from the angle or because it was rotated. I took it with my phone camera so it's not the best quality and wasn't taken in the best light. It looks square but it's wider than it is tall, 48" wide and 36" tall. I'll leave it there for a bit before I put my own pic back up.

Love, Mikie
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

Very cool, I like abstracts too and the colors are great. I didn't know you painted. Oil or Acrilycs? Good job-Carla
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow,,,now thats cool! I like the modern decor stuff!! your couch looks cool tooooo!,,,,,You did a Fab job!
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Looks great!!!

5. victoria

victoria New Member

gives a 'cool feeling' too, just right for Florida...

Don't know if it's because it's distorted, but, the left side of the white band looks almost like a dragon head!!! Neat!

But then again, I'm always "seeing things" in abstracts! LOL...
  6. jmq

jmq New Member

Love the painting!

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I get ideas for colors from other artwork I see and like. I have an idea for a new painting for over the sofa which will likely replace this one. With abstracts, it's not trying to get something to look like something. It's the subtle brush strokes which keep one going over and over it until it's just right. It's balance and color and just the general feelings which the painting evoke. If I had the talent to paint actualy objects, people, or landscapes, I would try it. I may later on. Right now, this is giving me a lot of pleasure.

I use acrylics and love them. They can be thinned down to do water colors or one can add an extender to make them dry more slowly, like oils. I've just started but I can see a whole lot of things I want to try.

Thank you all so very much for your comments. I really appreciate them.

Love, Mikie
  8. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I tend to have mixed feelings about abstract paintings.
    I like this very much and sort of holds me to it. Colors, et al, are beautiful. Thank you, and will it be on e-bay? I'll bid! Cheers, mr bill

[This Message was Edited on 10/22/2007]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks, Mr. Bill, I appreciate your kind words. I may join some kind of art group or take lessons at some point. Maybe when and if I get enough together, I'll get up the nerve to take them to an art show.

Love, Mikie
  10. laceymae

laceymae New Member

really liked your painting...wish I could do this kind of work.

hope the job search is going well for you
    hugs lacey
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your good wishes. I am sending hugs and prayers your way. Hope all is going well with you.

You know, it's strange, you don't need talent in the traditional sense to do this kind of painting. As I said above, it's all in the selection of colors, balance, and brush strokes. I don't know whether I have talent but I am happy with this painting. I want to do more.

Love, Mikie
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Mikie

It looks great and the colours work well together.

Did you find a large picture easier to paint than concentrating on small detail? Many of us have impaired fine motor skills so this might work for those, who like myself, have clumsy hands.

A friend had run out of money after funding repairs to her home so could not afford luxuries such as pictures for her walls. She bought some boards and emulsion paints that were in a sale.

Her work made a real impression; she ended up being given commissions. Since she finds painting a means of relaxing after a hard days's work she reckons this is a good deal; being paid for something she'd like to do anyway.

Thanks for posting your painting in your profile; I really enjoy looking at art work and photos - there's a lot of talent here.

TC, Tansy
  13. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I think your painting is lovely, I really like it.

I agree that abstracts are 'easier' to paint especially if, like me, you can't draw very well.

I think the colours go so well together. Bravo for you.

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you both so much. I was out today and planned on buying some supplies but I stopped at Barnes & Noble instead to get a book. I'm glad I did. I ran into some old friends from Boston who had just returned for the winter. It was wonderful to see them. We are going to go out for lunch one of these days. I really need to get out more. Now that I've had my costo chondritis injected, maybe I'll have more energy. Getting out or doing creative things is sooooooo good for us.

Love, Mikie
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Love you self-portrait. One of my favorite things was drawing stick figures on my kids' lunch bags when they had to have a packed lunch for a field trip. They were the envy of the other kids.

Love, Mikie
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

On thing about drawing is that one can learn it. Of course, it helps to have a natural talent for it but through practice, one can learn to draw. My middle school art teacher told us that drawing skills come from the eye and brain and that the hand only does what it is told. It taught me to look at drawing in a completely new way. Of course, in school, I did some sketching but I haven't done it in years. Right now, I'm interested in fast results and something I can hang on the wall and I do love the painting.

My neighbor downstairs is a very talented artist (he would blush to hear himself described as an artist). He has done pen and ink drawings of our bldg. and I have an original hanging on my wall, nicely framed. He has done them for all the family and some lucky friends. I think he could sell them to realtors to give as gifts when someone buys a home. Who wouldn't want a beautiful orig. pen and ink drawing to hang up instead of the lame gifts realtors sometimes give?

Good luck with drawing. I hope it gives you pleasure.

Love, Mikie
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Maybe someday but I sure couldn't count on painting to make a living. I do appreciate your kind words.

I also love decorating and when I can do it on the cheap and it looks great, so much the better. I needed a valance treatment for my lanai sliding glass doors. My neighbor's kids got a beautiful one for her at Penney's. When they had 60 percent off on their window treatments, I went in to order one. Well, even with 60 percent off, it would have been $640! Yikes! I bought the fabric, made my own pattern with box pleats, and even made throw pillows to match and contrast. It turned out beautifully and the total cost, including the pillows was $150. It's name brand drapery fabric I bought on sale at Joanne's.

My condo is just about the way I want it now and is ready to sell if I decide I ever want to and it's ever possible to sell a condo in FL again :) In the meantime, the weather will be great in another couple of weeks and I can lie at the pool while my family back in CO is shoveling snow.

Love, Mikie
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Weren't as good this year. I have friends in Boston. When I lived in CO, I used the mower to pick up leaves in the bagger. In a way, the World Series was a heartbreaker but on the other hand, the Sox is my adopted team, so I couldn't lose either way. Just wish it hadn't been a sweep.

Thanks again for your kind words. I'm laughing because right now, my place looks like anything but a show home. I've been sick with a stomach flu and haven't done any housework in days. I'm better but still tired.

I used to sew when the girls were little but it's not really my thing. I just did the valance and pillows for economic reasons. They did turn out nice.

It was a BIG adjustment for me to go from a home to a condo. I've lived in a condo since 1990 and have gotten used to it. I realized one day, when I was lolling around the pool, that people go to resorts to get what we have here every day. We have a pool service and gardeners. We never have to lift a finger unless we want to do a little volunteer work around our bldg. I still miss yardwork and gardening but I realize it would likely be too much for me anyway.

Take care and enjoy your nice fall days. It's still too hot here but we have a lovely breeze today. Unfortunately for the folks to the south of us, it's from the tropical storm in the Caribbean.

Love, Mikie