palpitations

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ellie5320, Nov 23, 2005.

1. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I have a query for about 2 mins today it felt like my heart was racing I also felt dizzy and hot all over I do have high blood pressure but is controled (at least I hope it is) does any one have any idea what it was or does any one get this strange feeling?
    Linda
  2. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

thanks Wendy if its caused by stress thats my life at present I thought it may have been
  3. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

Hi all..

I had this happen a couple times .. my heart doc says there's nuthin wrong with my heart tho... other than my valve doesn't close right, and spits out blood but not enough to be concerned about....

4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Palpitations are common because of imbalance in the autonomic nervous system. We have sort of a sympathetic overdrive.
    At the same time, if you have not been assessed for this, it would be wise to get it checked out.

Kathy.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2005]
  5. Txslady

Txslady New Member

I have complained about my heart racing for no reason for a year now. Been completely checked by a cardiologist. Had all test done (ekg, echo, nuclear stress, ct, etc...) and they found nothing. The 24 hour monitor showed my heart rate ranged from 48 to 128, I have actually had it go to the 150's. the doctor would not put me on anything to keep my rate low because if I was already low it could go to low. So the other day I was at the Endocronologist office for a check up and by bp was 92/60/62, I told him that i had an "episode" on the way to his office and it had spiked to 142/95/125. He said that it was too low, all the other times I have seen him I was in the 110-120/70's/80's range, and then had the balls to say "this must be making your life miserable". I lost it on this doctor as this was one of the main reason I went to him along with the osteoporasis. I told him, "you think" and then procedded to tell him that I just liked visiting my doctors every few weeks to see how they were doing and giving them by $20.00 so they could feed their families. The doctor didn't know what to say. He then went against the cardiologist and put me on 12.5mg of Toprol-XL and said come back in a month. Before I left I had the nurse check my bp again, since I was fixing to drive, it was only 90/70/64. Even blowing up on this doctor couldn't bring it back up. I laughed and left. Should be interesting to see what the cardiologist says next month.

Shannon
  6. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Both my mom and sister have mitral valve prolapse. I have a heart murmur so I have an echo every 5 years to make sure that everything is cool. I get the palpatations every once in awhile - feels like my heart skips a couple of beats and then I lose my breath.

It's kind of funny - every doctor gets excited listening to my heart - I guess the murmur is kind of loud.

I agree though - if you have palpatations you should at least get it checked by a doc to make sure everything is okay.

Kathi
  7. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

I have them too. Was told that they also come with Menopause, oh yeh, lucky us.
  8. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

9. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

I have them mainly when I lay down in bed at night. They are so strong that they often keep me from falling asleep. I also noticed I get them when I get emotionally stress about something.
  10. tammis

tammis New Member

Hello,I get palpitations alot,And also get hot and dizzy,My dr.told me its anxiety which is a part of fibro.Ive had my heart checked several times,I do tach away at times,But they are not concerned,I also have mitral valve regurgitation.It is very scary,I am on anxiety meds,which seem to help/
  11. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Maybe this info for cardiologists dealing with Fibro patients will help explain some.

What Your Cardiologist Should Know
    About FMS and CMP
    by Devin Starlanyl

This information may be freely copied and distributed only if unaltered,
    with complete original content including: © Devin Starlanyl, 1995-1999.

Please read “What Everyone on Your Health Care Team Should Know About FMS
    and CMP”.

There are many symptoms that can lead the person with fibromyalgia syndrome
    (FMS) and/or chronic myofascial pain (CMP) to your office. Research is pointing to
    FMS as a sympathetically-maintained disorder of pain processing (Martinez-Lavin,
    Vidal, Barbosa et al. 2002) and a form of dysautonomia (Raj, Brouillard, Simpson
    et al 2000). Chronic myofascial pain can mimic or accompany cardiovascular
    disease (Simons, Travell and Simons 1999). You need to be familiar with the
    myofascial trigger points (TrPs). Both FMS and CMP work together to create a
    symptom load greater than the sum of the two and may present a picture
    perplexing to the diagnostician.

Research indicates that fibromyalgia may increase the risk of cardiovascular
    disease (Curtis, O’Keefe Jr 2002). Intracellular calcium concentrations may be
    significantly reduced in fibromyalgia patients (Magaldi, Moltoni, Biasi et al 2000),
    and we don’t yet know how this may interrelate with the excess calcium release at
    the motor endplates in the area of myofascial TrPs (Simons, Travell and Simons,
    1999). Research has shown an abnormal autonomic response to orthostatic stress
    in men with FMS (Cohen, Neumann, Alhosshle et al. 2001). Nail ridges or beads,
    fragile nails and clubbing (beaking) of nails are common in FMS. This may be
    associated with chronic lack of oxygen due to TrPs in the respiratory muscles,
    neurotransmitter or endocrine dysfunction of FMS, or weakened respiratory muscle
    strength due to FMS (Ogzocmen, Cimen, Ardicoglu 2002).

The dysregulation of neurotransmitters in FMS can lead to a drop in hemoglobin
    oxygenation during sleep (Alvarez Lario, Alonso Valdivieso, Alegre Lopez, et al.
    1996). Constricted bronchi caused by neurotransmitter dysregulation may
    contribute. In FMS, neurotransmitter dysfunction often has a direct impact on the
    cardiovascular system. Research has shown that chronic dyspnea not due to
    cardiac or pulmonary causes is common in people with chronic primary FMS
    (Caidahl, Lurie, Bake, et al. 1989).

Neurally mediated hypotension is often a frightening and potentially dangerous
    companion to FMS (Bou-Holaigah, Calkins, Flynn, et al. 1997; Clauw 1995). There
    is also an increase in mitral valve prolapse (Pellegrino, Van Fossen, Gordon, et al.
    1989). Expect dyspnea (Weiss, Kreck and Albert 1998; Caidahl, Lurie, Bake, et al.
    1989). The combination of these and other symptoms can be frightening and add
    to your patient's stress. Check everything out, but reassure your patient that

What Your Cardiologist Should Know About FMS and CMP
    by Devin J. Starlanyl © 1995-1999 Page 1

these can co-exist with FMS. You may want to prepare a handout with a list of
    warning signs that should be reported. Treating the co-existing myofascial TrPs
    may save you many needless calls and save your patients unnecessary trips to the
    ER.

Shortness of breath is often due to TrPs in the serratus anterior muscle and is
    commonly associated with a "stitch in the side". There is referred pain to the side
    and to the back of the chest. This includes the lower interior border of the
    shoulder blade, and sometimes runs down the inner area of the arm, hand, and
    the last two fingers. There may be air hunger, with panting or mouth breathing.
    In severe cases, there is chest pain even at rest. The nerve going to the serratus
    anterior muscle may be entrapped because of scalene muscle TrPs. This TrP can
    also contribute substantially to the pain of a heart attack (Simons, Travell and
    Simons 1999). It can also cause a catch in the lower inner side of the shoulder
    blade. Serratus posterior inferior TrPs produce an unusual ache radiating over and
    around the muscle. Ilicostalis thoracis TrPs at mid-chest level send pain upward
    toward the shoulder as well as sideways toward the chest wall. Trigger points on
    the left side in this area cause pain that is often mistaken for angina.

Restricted chest expansion causes less air to be taken into the lungs. Researchers
    report that maximum expiratory and inspiratory pressures are low in chronic
    primary FMS, which may indicate respiratory muscle dysfunction (Lurie, Caidahl ,
    Johansson et al. 1990). Levator scapulae TrPs can also cause shortness of breath
    (Neoh 1995). If your patient has a stiff neck as well, look for these TrPs.

If the tissues surrounding the carotid sinuses harbor TrPs, their ability to control
    the blood pressure by constricting and dilating the blood vessels could be affected.
    Neurotransmitter imbalances of FMS may also be a part of fluctuating blood
    pressure. Chronic pain itself can affect blood pressure (Nilsson, Kandell-Collen,
    Andersson, 1997), and it is vital that this symptom be kept under control.
    Metabolic Syndrome is a frequent perpetuating factor of both FMS and CMP, so
    monitor your patient’s cholesterol levels, abdominal obesity and possible insulin
    resistance. TrPs can cause entrapment of blood and lymph vessels. This can
    cause swelling and can affect the blood pressure. High blood pressure can also
    aggravate scalene TrPs, causing a mutual aggravation spiral.

All major scalene muscles can refer pain to the front and back of the body in a
    widespread pattern. In the front they cause persistent aching pain over the chest
    and down the front and back of the arm to the forearm. The patient may tell you
    that the chest feels tight. On the left side, this pain may be mistaken for angina.
    Shallow pain also can be referred to the inner-upper border of the shoulder blade.
    There may be signs showing obstruction of veins and arteries and compression of
    the motor and sensory nerves of the arm. Sleep is often disturbed by pain from
    these TrPs. Your patient may have to sleep sitting up or propped up on pillows.
    There may be numbness, tingling, and odd sensations in the fourth and fifth
    fingers and in the little finger side of the hand and forearm.

by Devin J. Starlanyl © 1995-1999 Page 2

Intercostal TrPs cause aching pain primarily locally. Palpate for these TrPs around
    the ribs. They are most often located on the front of the body, close to the side.
    Your patient may not be able to endure pressure on these TrPs. The pain
    increases when s/he takes a deep breath, coughs or sneezes. In the area near the
    breastbone, these TrPs may cause cardiac arrhythmia (Simons, Travell and
    Simons, 1999, p 875).

Diaphragm TrPs refer pain in two different directions, using two different neural
    pathways. One sends pain to the upper border of the shoulder on the same side
    as the TrP, from TrPs in the diaphragm dome. TrPs along the edges send pain to
    the edges of the ribs close by. Diaphragm TrPs can cause the "stitch in the side",
    chest pain, or inability to get a full breath. The pain will be most intense on
    exhalation after a deep breath. These TrPs cause restricted rotation of the spine
    upon twisting to look behind. Chronic cough, paradoxical breathing will perpetuate
    these TrPs, as will head-forward, slumped-shouldered posture. Local impact
    trauma, chest surgery (chest retractors are likely to leave clusters of TrPs in their
    wake), herpes zoster, rib fractures are also possible initiating and perpetuating
    factors, as are tumors, and some repetitive exercises.

There may be a TrP on the right side pectoralis major between the 5th and 6th ribs
    about midway between the nipple and the outer edge of the sternum that can be
    involved with cardiac arrhythmias. Treating the TrP may eliminate the arrhythmia.
    Pectoralis major TrPs cause pain under the sternum. They also can transmit pain
    to the front of the chest and breast, extending down to the little finger side of the
    arm to the fourth and fifth fingers. TrPs on the left side often mimic heart-attack
    pain.

Pectoralis TrPs can occur in any of the muscle layers, in any place, but they are
    most common in particular areas. In the area of the collarbone, they cause local
    pain and refer pain over the front of the shoulder. In the breastbone area, TrPs
    can broadcast intermittent, intense pain to the front of the chest and down the
    inner aspect of the arm. This can include a feeling of chest tightness, often
    mistaken for angina. These TrPs can radiate pain to the inside top of the forearm,
    as well as to the little finger side of the hand, including the last two or more
    fingers. If you find arrhythmias and no other sign of heart problems, check for
    TrPs. Chest pain that persists after a heart attack is frequently caused by these
    TrPs.

Pectoralis minor TrPs are located most often in an area about midway between the
    clavicle and nipple, and about midway between the edge of the breastbone and the
    outer edge of the upper arm. These TrPs send pain over the front of the chest and
    shoulder. Pain may run down the inner side of the arm and include the last 3
    fingers. Pain from a left side pectoralis minor TrP can mimic angina. These TrPs
    can also entrap the axillary artery, as well as the brachial plexus nerve. The radial
    pulse may disappear as your patient moves the arm to different positions (Simons,
    Travell and Simons, 1999, p 851). When you relieve the TrP, the pulse is restored.

by Devin J. Starlanyl © 1995-1999 Page 3

Many cases of Raynaud’s phenomenon have a TrP component. Numbness and odd
    sensations of the 4th and 5th fingers are common with these TrPs. There may be
    peculiar sensations over some parts of the forearm and over the palmar side of the
    first three and a half fingers. Paradoxical breathing perpetuates this TrP, as does
    poor posture. Check standing and sitting movements, and ask about sleep
    positions. Blood vessel entrapment by these TrPs does not produce the hand
    puffiness associated with scalene entrapment. Connective tissue TrPs in scar
    tissue of the attachment area in some rotator cuff tissues may cause referred
    tenderness, hot prickling pain, and lightning-like jabs to the pectoralis area.

Ensure that the bodyworkers to whom you refer patients have a firm knowledge of
    Travell and Simons’ Trigger Point Manuals. Repetitious exercises are contraindicated in myofascial TrP therapy. You cannot strengthen a muscle that harbors
    a TrP. Many physical therapists do not understand this. Inappropriate therapy is a
    preventable perpetuating factor. Contraction of pectoralis muscles may pull down
    the SCM muscle group and work to perpetuate TrPs there. Forward rotated
    shoulders are a sign of this combination at work. If involved, the pectorals TrPs
    must be treated before the SCM TrPs can be successfully treated. Chest tightness
    may also be due to TrPs in the sternalis muscle.

Sternalis TrPs cause a deep ache under the breastbone, extending over the entire
    region of the breastbone and below. This can cover the upper chest and front of
    the shoulder on the same side, including the underarm and upper arm on the little
    finger side to the elbow. This produces an ache that feels like a heart attack or
    angina and is independent of body movement. Trigger points can occur anywhere
    within the sternalis, but they are often found in the upper two-thirds and to the
    left of center at mid-sternal level.

TrPs in the jaw and neck can contribute referred chest pain (Rusiecki 1998).
    Overburdening these muscles can cause TrPs. These TrPs can be formed during a
    heart attack or other visceral disease. When coronary artery disease and TrPs
    coexist, remember myofascial constriction from the TrPs can cause (treatable)
    further narrowing of the arteries. If your patient has angina or has had a heart
    attack, s/he probably has these TrPs, as these events can be initiating factors.
    Treating the TrPs may reduce the symptom level.

If these or any TrPs keep recurring, in spite of proper treatment, you must find the
    perpetuating factor. That could be a visceral problem, for example. Such organic
    disease can cause TrPs. Relieving the TrPs may relieve the symptoms for a short
    period of time, but the underlying problem will still be there.

by Devin J. Starlanyl © 1995-1999 Page 4

References

Alvarez Lario B., J. L. Alonso Valdivieso, L. J. Alegre Lopez, S. C. Martel Soteres, J.

L. Viejo Banuelos and A. Maranon Cabello. 1996. Fall in hemoglobin oxygenation
    in the arterial blood of fibromyalgia patients during sleep. Am J Med 101:54-60.
    Bou-Holaigah, I., H. Calkins, J. A. Flynn, C. Tunin, H. C. Chang, J. S. Kan and P. C.
    Rowe. 1997. Provocation of hypotension and pain during upright tilt table testing
    in adults with fibromyalgia. Clin Exp Rheumatol 15(3):239-246.

Bradley LA, N. L. McKendree-Smith, G. S. Alarcon, L. R. Cianfrini. 2002 Is
    fibromyalgia a neurological disease? Curr Pain Headache Rep 6(2):106-14.

Caidahl, K., M. Lurie, B. Bake, G. Johansson, and H. Wetterqvist. 1989. Dyspnoea
    in chronic primary fibromyalgia. J Intern Med 226(4):265-270.

Clauw, D. J. 1995. Tilt table testing as a measure of dysautonomia in fibromyalgia. J Musculoskel Pain 3(Suppl 1):10 (Abstract).

Cohen, H. L. Neumann, A. Alhosshle et al. 2001. Abnormal sympathovagal
    balance in men with fibromyalgia. J Rheumatol 28. 581-9.

Curtis, B. M., J. H. O’Keefe Jr. 2002. Autonomic tone as a cardiovascular risk
    factor: the dangers of chronic fight or flight. Mayo Clin Proc 77(11):45-54.

Martinez-Levin M. 2002. Management of dysautonomia in fibromyalgia. Rheum
    Dis Clin North Am 28(2):379-87.

Martinez-Lavin, M., M. Vidal, R. E. Barbosa et al. 2002. Norepinephrine-evoked
    pain in fibromyalgia. A randomized pilot study [ISRCTN70707830]. BMC
    Musculoekel Disord 3(1):2.

Magaldi M., L. Moltoni, G. Biasi et al. 2000. Role of intercellular calcium ions in the
    physiopathology of fibromyalgia syndrome. Boll Soc Ital Biol Sper 76(1-2):1-4.

Neoh, C-A. 1995. Subjective shortness of breath and trigger points of levator
    scapular muscles. J Musculoskel Pain 3(Suppl 1):27 (Abstract).

Nilsson, P.M., A. Kandell-Collen, H. I. Andersson. 1997. Blood pressure and
    metabolic factors in relation to chronic pain. Blood Press 6(5):294-8.

Ogzocmen S., O. B. Cimen, O. Ardicoglu. 2002. Relationship between chest
    expansion and respiratory muscle strength in patients with primary fibromyalgia.
    Clin Rheumatol 21(1):19-22.

by Devin J. Starlanyl © 1995-1999 Page 5

Pellegrino, M. J., D. Van Fossen, C. Gordon, J. M. Ryan and G. W. Waylonis. 1989.
    Prevalence of mitral valve prolapse in fibromyalgia: a pilot investigation. Arch Phys
    Med Rehabil 70(7):541-543.
  12. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

I've been looking for something like this to take to my chiro
  13. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I have dr appointment tomorrow so heres hoping
    Linda
  14. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

dr has given me a note to get an event monitor for a week just have to wait till one is available
    linda