palpitations

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brella, Sep 7, 2006.

1. brella

brella New Member

Does anyone else have heart palpitations?

Palpitations are unpleasant sensations of irregular and/or forceful beating of the heart. It feels like your heart skips a beat. I don't know if this is a FM symptom or just me!
  2. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Palpitations can be caused by some medications. What meds do you take?
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

which are (what I call) flutters, sputters, and flip flops. I have this happen maybe once or twice a week, but had two extended episodes that went on for days. I also often have "pounding".

I had an echocardiogram and was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse and dysautonomia in May this year.

Palpitations are usually a benign process, but you SHOULD get it evaluated to make sure.

TERRY
  4. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Perhaps you should have it checked out. I let that go and could have had a stroke - it turned out to be Atrial Fibrillation. I now take meds to contol it.
  5. tobelct

tobelct Guest

I had palpitations for many years. Before anyone ever thought to diagnosis me with Fibro. The major ones were usually followed by shortness of breath dizzyness and tremmors. When finally a smart doctor listened farther then my foot steps through the door. I was diagnosed with Fibro and Fatigue. With some major meds and many doctors visits I now only get them with flare ups. My doctor stated my body was under so much stress it was having physical anxiety attacks. She also made sure there was no heart complications by doing all the test mentioned above in the other post.
    lavena
  6. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

I have been dealing with this for years...ER only to have chest X-RAY. EKG, written off as anxiety, told to see a shrink. This was at Southwest General in Middleburg Heights but also due to inadequate medical records by previous doctor.

Several weeks ago I was on my way to see the eye doctor at Metro Hospital in Cleveland and had a spell while walking to the bus stop after getting off the train.

Got very lightheaded, thought I was going to pass out and my heart was beating like crazy.

I made it to the bus and to the ER. My heart rate was 156 by the time I got there and I was feeling somewhat better compared to how I felt when I had my spell. BP was NOT high!

I was admitted and spent two days on the Cardiac Floor. Problem with left ventrical. They went back and reviewed an Echocardiogram done last year (normal) and did an ultra-sound in my room (which found a change in my heart).

They also noted that a CPAP was ordered for me from a sleep study but was waiting approval by Medicaid. I used one while in the hospital.

I have a Cardiac Event Monitor to wear for thirty days and also the CPAP I needed!

Whenever I feel a problem I push the red button on the monitor which records what is happening. I also have to keep a diary listing the time and date, what I was doing when the feeling occured and how I felt (fluttering, racing, pounding, dizzy, lightheaded, out of breath, heavy chest, crashing fatigue, disoriented, confusion, etc.).

The monitor only records four events. After the fourth event, I have to send the info over the phone to the diagnostic center in Michigan which is open 24/7.

PLease keep a diary of your own. Have your doctor refer you to a cardiologist.

Good luck!

Cindy