PamD ..... Are you OK???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hugs4evry1, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    I know you don't post much about your own illness, but I noticed on another thread that you mentioned them testing your sibling to see about a bone marrow match.

    How are you doing? You're still on the boards helping others yet not asking for anything for yourself.

    Just wanted to say that your incredible spirit is shining through and you are an inspiration to others.

    But I'm a bit worried about you...

    ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

    Nancy B.
  2. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    You know, at the moment I'm doing great. I just finished 4 rounds of chemotherapy (and a lot of leukemia patients only make it through 3), and honestly, it wasn't a picnic, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And I expected that I'd start having a resurgence of FM symptoms (which has been pretty much under control for the past 3 years) but it never happened, for which I'm very grateful.

    What I'm going to do now is go back to my job & regular life for as long as I'm in remission, and then when needed, I'll have a blood stem cell transplant (which has replaced the bone marrow transplant, and BTW, doesn't have anything to do with embryonic stem cells) with an unrelated donor from the bone marrow registry----this since I only have 1 sibling, and unfortunately, she isn't a match for me. I say "when" , not "if" because there's about a 70% likelihood I'll need the transplant in 1-2 years....although, I try to stay positive and realize, there's a 30% chance I won't need one, and I could get lucky. You never know...

    Nancy, thank you so much for your kind words...one thing I have realized throughout these past few months, is that I'm a lot tougher than I ever gave myself credit for. I was determined to go through this with grace and class, and I hope I did that....as a leukemia patient, you log a lot of hospital time, much of chemo and treatment is done as an inpatient, and I always wanted to have a smiling, positive face for my nurses and techs, and I think I did that. My oncologists are the best docs I have ever seen---I only wish everybody here could have these kind of guys for their FM/CFS treatment---so I feel very fortunate.

    Thanks, you guys, for inquiring about me, I so appreciate your support. I check out the leukemia message boards from time to time, but I've been here so long I feel like I "belong", and I know many folks here have had other illnesses (like other cancers MS, Lyme, RA, etc.) that complicate their health, so I'm not the only one.

    Prickles & Nancy, I hope you have a great day! I'll keep you posted on how I do, and thank you again.

    (((Grateful Hugs)))
    Pam
  3. SusanEU

    SusanEU New Member

    So glad to hear you are doing well.

    Your strength of spirit is such an inspiration.

    Is your hubby still getting pain relief from the meds.

    God Bless

    Sue in Ontario
  4. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    ...that Effexor is really doing the trick. He is able to run again (he's 56; many years ago, he was a marathon runner, but hasn't been able to do anything like that in ages!) and is getting back in shape; his diabetes doc is thrilled!

    Thanks for asking---hope you are doing well, too!

    Hugs,
    Pam
  5. hugs4evry1

    hugs4evry1 New Member

    You truly are the epitamy of grace and dignity, and an inspiration to all of us.

    Many gentle ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

    Nancy B.
  6. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    Thank you so much for all the kind words, I "feel" the love here!

    Don't think of me as too much of a trooper, though...I try to get through day-by-day, but I definitely have my moments where this seems just overwhelming. Plus, it's odd, but when I was going through the past 6 months of cycles of chemo, I just focused on getting to the next step. Just put one foot ahead of the other, did quite well during the chemo & side effects, was grateful my FM symptoms remained dormant, and plugged away at treatment. But now, my treatments are over, I'm returning to work, and I'm both elated---and totally terrified. My cancer has a high rate of relapse, next step will be a transplant, and how do you mentally prepare for that?

    You all are so positive and helpful here, your concern and thoughtfulness really helps buoy my spirits. I'm starting to look for more support on a Leukemia Board, and will probably join a local cancer support group in my town, too, but I here is where I feel like I have a "home".

    Prickles---I know about the infections that come if you aren't careful, but your friend's energy & spirit may also be what carries him through. I know keeping a sense of humor was invaluable for me, we all have our ways of coping. What kind of cancer does he have? I hope he does well, I'm going to say a prayer for him!

    Thanks again so much!

    (((Warm Hugs)))
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2006]
  7. babygirl44

    babygirl44 New Member

    I think every one has said how we all feel our prays are with you and god bless.LOL
  8. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    Thank you so much!!!

    (((Hugs)))
    Pam
  9. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    I appreciate your thoughtfulness, and all the support I've gotten here. I can honestly say the chemo & aftermath was not something I'd do for a lark, obviously, but not near as bad as I'd expected. And I was grateful that no FM symptoms came roaring back, as I'd expected they might. So really I've been lucky.

    Thanks again, Donna!

    Hugs,
    Pam