Pamelor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrea4, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I currently take Zoloft, Protonix, Advair, Albuterol (as needed), daily 81mg aspirin and a multi vitamin. My rheumy just wrote me a scipt for Pamelor to take at night. I read up on the side effects of Pamelor and they scare me. I am so not a med person. Does anyone here take this drug? Just curious about other's experiences. Thanks!
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Took it three nights and it kept me wired all night long, dizzy, shakey, snapping at everyone.

My next door neighbor loved it. Sent her right off to sleep but she developed these huge bruised blisters all over, not sure if that was one of the causes.

I think oolf fashioned Valium works better, low dose.

Love Anne C
  3. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

i had mentioned valium, but he said i'd have to see a shrink for that. i have an appt with one in March but i doubt she'll give it to me either. I was on it 8 yrs ago for anxiety and it worked well, was predicatable and cheap!

He orignally wanted me on trazadone, but my ins doesnt cover it.

i was reading on pamelor...how to take it, etc. the way he wrote it, i am to take 1-3 pills at bedtime. they are 25 mg pills. he didnt put any refills on it either. i thought you had to be on this stuff long term to work?
  4. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I took the first dose last night. It did not make me sleepy. All it did was give me a real bad dry cotton mouth and I sweat like a pig! Yuk! I can't decide if I should try anohter night or not. My sheets were soaked from sweat last night, but I was so cold all night long...I got up and sweat was pouring off of me. It's so gross!
  5. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

I've had a pretty good experience with Pamelor. I'm currently at 35 mg. (which is not a lot at all) and it definitely helps with sleep and pain. no side effects, either. what dose are you on?
  6. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

He started me on 25mg at bedtime.
  7. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I took the generic form of Pamelor, Nortriptyline 10mg. It didn't help me sleep at all only wired me up, made my heart race and kept me awake all night and day even though I felt totally exhausted. I gave it about 4 days and nothing changed so the doctor changed me to 25mg Elavil/Amitriptyline. This med is in the same family and did the same thing to me. I was still wired all the time and had a racing heart. I already had a dizziness problem, but this made me lightheaded when standing and I almost blacked out in the shower a few times too. The doctor said give it a little more time the side effects wear off after awhile. I still took it for 6 weeks, but the side effects didn't wear off so I stopped it.

Jeanette