~~ Pammy52 & Intunejune ~~

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tmprincess, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Just wanted to let you both know i finally found a physical therapy center that specializes in MFR!!!! They have 7 physical therapist on staff and ALL OF THEM are John Barnes certified!!!!!!

I was really starting to get frustrated and discouraged... and was so close to just settling for any old therapist, as i am so desperate to have someone work these knots out! But, i am so glad i meet you both, and your encouragement helped me persevere!

I am still very nervous, because i'm very sensitive and over protective of my knots... LOL.... but, i know it will be soooo worth it in the end! My first apt. is not until 4/11, but i already feel like a huge weight has been lifted just knowing i'll be in good hands!

Thank you for all your insights and encouragement!!! I will keep you posted throughout my treatment!

Take care!

TM~
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2006]
  2. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

3. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

So happy for you!!
    Wow...all are JB certified? Awesome!
    How did you find them?
    Hope it is not too far a drive for you.

I will anxiously be waiting to hear all about your appt..

Hugs, Pammy
  4. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Actually, this clinic was second to last of a long list of which i called straight out of the phone book!!!

Its in the next town over... about a 15-20 min drive. Not to bad, with my floppy hat and big sunglasses LOL*... they are actually on this side of town so that helps!!

The therapist i spoke with right before i called this place was soooo sweet... she said they did a little bit of MFR, but she willing told me that there were only two of them on staff and neither of them were certified yet!!!?? How can that be??? Is that even legal?

Hugs to you too!

TM~
  5. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

I am so glad you got stubborn and made all those phone calls!

I know where I work, the 2 PTs that use MFR have been using the technique after going to a JB weekend years ago.
    They just could not say that they were certified in it.
    There are severals levels of training for this therapy and right now they have completed the basic level but incorporate some of the more advanced tx. into thier sessions.

Even as a pt. you can go to some of his seminars and learn the basic techniques.
    MFR has been around for a long time and many PTs and/or Massage therapists incorporate it into their tx.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that this helps you and you get someone who you can connect with.
    Remember...even if they are trained in MFR you still need to feel comfortable with the person and if you have questions, ask them.
    If something they are doing isn't working for you let them know.
    Each pt. is different and the therapist needs input in order to know how things are going.
    Also because this technique is gentle, some of our pts. have initially felt it wasn't going to do anything for them.

I know I cannot have my trigger points treated aggresively or I am in agony but after a good MFR session, my PT has been able to do a little trigger point tx. too with a positive outcome for me.

Best wishes, Pammy

6. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Once again,.... Good Advice!
    You are just full of it girly!! Hehe!
    Just knowing i've got my apt made has
    put my mind at ease so much!
    Thanks for the encouragement to keep on keeping on!!

TM~
  7. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Good for you, when is your appointment?

Please heed Pammy's words and remember my "experience" when I first started. I thank God I "fell" into that PT facility in the first place......and then did not give up in the second.

Communicate, communicate, communicate.

And if you cannot with the therapist they have scheduled you with, simply try another. The therapists should not let their egos enter into your treatments.

Good for you! Fondly, June

8. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Thanks for the words of wisdom....

My fist apt was scheduled for 4/11 but, i pushed it back a week. I could already feel my body stressing and getting tense... not over the PT though.

I'll be leaving to go on a trip mid-week, and just felt like it was a distraction right now. I don't travel very well... as i'm sure so many of us dont!! I already get stressed enough over just traveling and the "do i have everything" drill....

I figured it would be a good way to relieve that travel tension once i return also!! Thanks again for you encouragement and helping me to persevere!

Take care!

TM~
  9. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Glad to hear you could get another appt. so soon.
    Hope your traveling is related to pleasure and that you hold up well.

I know any driving for more than an hour is pretty taxing for me.
    Being the passenger is a bit easier since you can put the seat back and stretch out more.
    If only that would work while being the driver. :)

Have a safe trip and let us know about your appt. when you go.

Hugs, Pammy
  10. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Actually i had set up a block of apts when i called originally for like a two week period.

I'm going to Fl. to visit family... have a brother getting married! It is a 12 hr trip that i have often dreaded by plane or car... but this time we rented a minivan! I am taking all kinds of extra comforts of home with me this time!!! Bought an Ac adapter for my heating pad, a neck pillow to keep my neck from rolling around, little suction hooks to put on the windows to put up a towel or blanket if the sun bothers me, and even going to take my big core fitness ball, and yoga mat that i do stretches on several times a day. I figure i can do this at rest areas to keep from getting all stiff and cramped up!

Its a long and dreadful trip, but i'm going to try and make the best of it and enjoy my time w/ family! Don't get to see them often!... about once a year actually!

Take care & Talk soon!
    TM~
  11. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I am traveling this week also, yesterday flew to Cleveland to visit my son and his family. I will be here through Monday, day after Easter.

Today, I went to the "Y" to get into the pool to try to work out all the kinks from flying.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Fondly, June
  12. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

~June~

You are so wise to go to the Y and use the pool!!! I'm sure that helped a lot!

I lived in OH when i was a child (3rd, 4th, and 5th grade)... we lived in Mason and Fairborne. I took some nasty gymnastic falls there!!... that's what i remember LOL*

Hope you have a wonderful visit with your family and a Happy Holiday!!!!

Take Care~
    TM~
  13. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Thanks, I had a WONDERFUL time with my grandkids, they are SO cute.

Now that I am home, I miss them so.

The four year old's eyes filled up with tears, the night before we left, "I don't want you to go, Grammy."

Of course Grammy's eyes filled up too.

I really wish I did not have to work....I work 24 hours a week, basically for the health benefits. My husband is still working but at a nonbenefit status.

And of course the pay buys airplane tickets.....

Got home Monday, but today and checking the board.....

I will do a search to see how your MFR treatments are going.

Fondly, June
  14. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

June~ Glad you had a good trip! That is soooo sweet about your grandkids!!!! Especially the four year old!!!! How many do you have total?

My trip went very well... that is until i got about 4 hrs from home on the way back!!! I was driving right around the time it got dark, right into a bad rain storm with thunder/lighting!

Gave me really bad anxiety and put me into a slight flare! So, now i have a slight pinched nerve in my mid back and my hips/groin area hurt so bad i can barley walk!... not to mention my neck and shoulders!!!

But, i went to my first session last night! The first one was really long! Come to discover, no one there is John Barnes certified!!!! That kinda ticked me off a little b/c i specifically asked that when i called the office before even making my apt!!! And she assured me that EVERYONE WAS!

I decided to continue with the session anyway... and will continue on through a few i think before making any decision one way or the other. I mean, i really like it there! The receptionist is very nice and helpful... i liked the therapist... the owner even came in and introduced himself! (that was before i found out about the lack of J.B. training! LOL)... But, my therapist did tell me that, if i decided not to continue on with him, he would understand why... and would even assist me in finding someone in the area who is J.B. trained or certified!!

He really didn't do a whole lot this time. Mostly took my history, had me do some lifting/stretching, pushing/pulling (checking my reflexes type of thing), twisting/turning (checking my mobility), looked at my spine, then he did some soft massaging on my neck and shoulder blades. Finally, he had me show him what stretches i've been doing, and then he gave me some to add to what i'm already doing.

He mentioned maybe doing some ultra sound wave therapy. Either of you ever had that? Sounds interesting. And i guess i would be open to trying it!!?

TM~
  15. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Yes that first visit is a long one......the "evaluation." And of course you could be sore from that.

Why were you told they were ALL John Barnes certified??? Geezzzz.

Well, it does sound as though you are off to a good start in the communications department with your therapist. That is good.

I've never had ultrasound therapy for the fascia.

I wish you luck.

Keep us informed.

Fondly, June
  16. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I had my 2nd Pt visit yesterday....

I guess this was a more normal session...???
    But, i had a different therapist (i think they rotate).
    Is that the norm???

She did a skin to skin massage/accupressure on my neck, shoulders, and shoulder blades. It was very slow and controlled, and i don't think she was using any oil or lotion. I felt a lot of release during this! It hurt so good!!!

She had me do a series of stretches right after that.
    Then we did 20 min of electric stem with heat therapy.
    Followed by more stretches.

I had a lot of mobility for several hours right after wards, but started to stiffen up through out the night. I've been using my TENS Unit with heat here at home, doing my stretches (though its going to take some time to work up to the amount they want me to do!), and soaking in a hot tub of Eucalyptus Oils! All of which they said would help the process!

Funny thing is, i'm not as sore as i was after the first visit!! LOL... and they didn't do much during that one!! hahaha

Talk soon!

TM~
  17. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Glad to hear that you are making some progress.
    The standard with most places is to not have more than 2 therapists working on you over the duration of your tx. so there is continuity in the work being done and they are tuned in to your response and healing process.

There is a substance that the therapists use on their hands that is a waxy kind of consistency.It reacts to the warmth of the hand to body contact, allowing their hands to move freely but more slowly then with oil or lotion.

I hope you continue to see relief and the fact that your doing your follow up work at home is definetly going to keep you moving forward.

Nice to hear you had a good trip too.

June,
    Glad to hear about your trip too.
    Grandkids are the best, aren't they? I am fortunate to have all of mine within reasonable driving distance. I would have a hard time if they were further away then that.

Hugs, Pammy
  18. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Your first visit may have been with a PT, and possibly your second visit with a PTA (physical therapy assistant).

The phyiscal therapist evaluates the patient, a PTA cannot do an evaluation. It MAY be that after your evaluation, the thearpist you had on your second visit will take over the rest of your treatments. As Pammy said, you need continuity, passing patients around would not give you that.

An experienced PTA is just as worthy as a PT when it comes to treatment.

For myofascial release, my therapists never used anything on their hands. The idea is not to have their hands slip as they move your fascia to its point of resistance, then the therapist holds that until the fascia releases. This does take some time.

When my therapists worked on particular trigger points, they would use a gel, to allow their hands to glide more easy over the muscle.

These are two different techniques and feel very different to the patient.

During my appointments, first two therapists would work at the same time, pulling the body in opposing directions, trying to get the most fascia released at one time. (This was your ordinary PT facility, and the treatments with the three of us looked "strange" and sometimes frightneing to the other patients) Four "two man" "fascial stretches" were performed first (each of these stretches were held for a minute, longer if I was still releasing), then one would leave to treat another patient, one would work on specifics on my lower body. He then would move on to another patient and then the other PT would come back and work on upper body. I was a time-consuming hands-on patient and this way no one therapist was tied up with me and breaking his schedule.

The only time I had another therapist was when one of the usual therapists was on vacation. Another PT then would assist with the two man holds, and then the regular PT would finish the program.

The first month I was in therapy, this was not my treatment. This treatment evolved with the response they were getting from the fascia as they treated. It went in steps. They also were trying to move as much as possible each visit as there was a direct result to pain reduction.

Yes, I would stiffen up, the next day, and the day after therapy, I was able to get into the pool and stretch in the gentle supporting environment of the water. The more therapy I had, the better job I was finding I was doing the day after in the pool with relaxation and reduction of the stiffness. Then, I noticed I was becoming stronger, not so deconditioned. The stronger I became, the less tired I was with activities of daily living.

I might have told you, my two therapists whom I referred to as one entity, "The A team" have moved on.....one to another State, to head a Rehabilitation Center, the other opened his own PT facility.

Because of how our health reimbursement is set up and the original PT facility I was going to had put me on an "AfterCare" program, I have stayed with that facility, the new therapists were shown my program by my original therapists. They however simply do not have the strength nor developed the sensitivity the other two had. I was told to "give them time" but its been a year. It's very affordable and I SO appreciate everything they do for me. I am getting some benefit.

The therapist who opened his own facility is doing a tremendous business. He will treat me over his lunch time for one hour for myofascial release treatments. This of course is more expensive, it is worth every penny but I do have to count the pennies.

Recently I have had more appointmens to treat a heel spur and plantar fasciitis, so I simply don't have time and money for the MFR treatments right now.

I miss the unwindings I could feel right around my entire spinal column, this was generated by those two man twists and stretches. I have not felt an unwinding now probably for six to eight months.

The rest of the fascia, the treatments with one therapist has been going very well. I cannot wait until this heel spur GOES away and I can schedule MFR treatments.

Well, I rambled and now am hoping I did not get off course and gave you some insight.....

Keep us posted, June

19. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I never had treatment with a TENS unit but was chosen (has to be 20 years ago now) to be used in a demonstration done in the PT facility in our hospital (this is not where I go for treatment now) for a medical transcription group.

The therapist chose me, I was probably the only familiar face in the group.....when he started it up, I told him it hurt, but he really thought I was just joshing along with the group and did not believe me.

The next day, I had extreme difficulty moving my arm due to the "treatment."

Where (on your body) do you place the TENS?

June.
  20. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Yes, grandchildren are the BEST, and I am having serious withdrawal from mine.......

Talked to them last night, they are two and four, so the conversations are intersting to say the least.

My daughter-in-law then got on the phone and cried "Why did YOU leave ME alone with these kids!"

I wish I could quit work, I will be 61 in June, so have more years to work until Medicare kicks in. Don't know if I will last.

How are your treatments coming, Pammy, are you getting relief?

Fondly, June