Pancake mix/mold

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

There was a letter to Dear Abby today talking about a healthy teen aged boy having a reaction to mold in outdated pancake mix.

It seems the mold grows in the mix, but doesn't show. The boy said they tasted funny but ate them anyway.

Abby suggested we all check the pantry for expiration dates on dry items, cake mix, pancake mix, brownie or cookie mixes. I would probably check everything that I don't use and replace very often.

I don't use any of these items, but I did have some flour turn rancid! I couldn't believe it. I hadn't baked in a while and decided to make baking powder biscuts for dinner.

I started mixing the ingredients, and thought, this smells funny. First I thought it was the butter, then I smelled the flour! Yuck! I keep it in a plastic container to keep any bugs out, but never thought it could go bad.

I dumped the dough and started fresh!

Now I keep the flour in the freezer (right next to the flax seed!).

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I did so much baking back in the day, that we started buying flour in 20 kilo sacks. Once I was scooping out a cup of it, and I found a black speck. I placed the speck in my hand to get it out of the flour... and the speck wriggled into life, shook the flour off its many black legs, and became a shiny little beetle. I shreeked so loud my brothers thought I'd hurt myself!
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Isn't that icky!

My daughter and I were on the Oregon coast one year when she was about 4. Must of been about 1982. We stayed in a cabin on the beach and it was really nice.

The second day we were there I got a migraine. The nice couple who owned the place had a grandson the same age as Katie and when I told them I was sick, the took her for the day. I stayed in the cabin and took my meds and slept most of the day.

Katie came back for dinner and I had brought boxed mac and cheese, her favorite. I poured the noodles into the boiling water and as the noodles cooled it a little I noticed something floating to the top!

You guessed it! Bugs. We ate out!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I never thought about flour going bad. I used to keep it in the cupboard in the bag, and once found little black bugs in there. ICK! Now I keep it in a plastic container. I don't use it all that often, though. Maybe I'll start keeping it in the freezer, too!

Thanks for passing on this info, Greenbean!