Pancreatic Enzymes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hugs4evry1, Apr 28, 2009.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hi all,

Is anyone else taking this medication? I've just been told that I need to do so.

I'm so glad that this internist found 'something' wrong with me finally again. This explains so much and the drastic and continuing weight loss too.

2. pluis

pluis New Member

I am also interested in this. Is this the same as digestive enzymes?

Sorry I can't give you an answer...

I was on combizym for 6 months and that helped me a little. This is a prescription med from the EU, and I am trying to find a similar product here.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

What exactly are the symptoms that are explained by the need for pancreatic enzymes, and did the Dr determine that there is something wrong with your pancreas (& if so, what?). I am curious, bc I think it could apply to many of us searching for answers here. Thanks, and good luck.
  4. Three different brands, in fact...

A registered dietiecian about 2 yrs into that junk (I was also put on Sandostatin shots, to 'shut my pancreas down' & had to do the shots twice a day, every day- within 11 days though, it was clear they were triggering pain attacks they were trying to *treat*, so they were stopped (thank GOD, back then, one month of the Sandostatin cost me $500- out of pocket up front- then $300 for my enzymes, ALONE- I was on tons of other meds, but ONE visit, cost me over $820!!)

Anyhow, (it is now pretty clear- YEARS & YEARS after suffering these 'attacks', spasms, vomiting, sweating (sometimes during attacks), excrutiating, horrible, terrifying pain attacks, that (DUH- my family & I knew it, as did my primary gastroenterologist.. grr)..

That I have PANCREATITIS. I developed CP after my gall bladder was removed, but, despite becoming violently sicker, vomiting much MORE (did not think it possible) my pancreas pain went ignored, and mis-treated ("raging case of IBS" GAWD that makes my blood BOIL)... for over 2 years.

Anyhow, A registered dietician, after putting me on a STRICT, STRICT 'modified starvation' diet, he called it, really (it was a much more severely restricted list from the 'elimination diet' for my Celiac's disease)..

HE put me on GNC store brand enzymes.. just called "Multi-enzyme".... back *then* it was $18 for the tall blue glass bottle, (it's $32+ now!), but, that STILL beats over $300 for Creon, Pancrease, & Viokase!!!

All three of those were over $300 for one month, (at 9, and 12 pills a day,)

WITH THE DIET- I found the GNC store brand just fine- read the label, it will have the same thing.

Like the other posters, more information from you, will help us all to be able to offer anything of help *to* you..

5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Since I had just gotten home from my appt with a German internist, I didn't know a lot myself when I posted this question. I've since done some internet searching....

I have a pancreatic enzyme deficiency....meaning the enzymes aren't there to process the nutrients in food and I'm basically suffering from malnutrition. (I tend to get a new disease each year)

I think this all started last year after I had tore my quadracep muscle (stressful and painful enough) then my daughter was hospitalized for long term care in a psych hospital in London.....the stress never ends around here. (Her husband also dumped her while she was in there so she moved back home and I'm her caretaker again)

After being off of my feet for over 2 months, I had no idea what my weight was because I couldn't stand properly to get on a scale but I knew I was at least 147 prior to the injury. (Couldn't wear jeans either so I couldn't judge my weight that way either)

When I started visiting her in the hospital, my weight just started dropping. At first I put it down to finally being on my feet again, but I'd visit her 2 weeks later and need new clothes.

I have IBS with horrible D symptoms yet this got worse as well. I put it down to the stress.

The weight loss continued....although I was dx with borderline diabetes, I suffer from SEVERE hypoglycemia and eat 7 or 8 times a day. My diet never changed and I didn't (couldn't) enjoy the weight loss and you know there's something wrong when a woman can't enjoy losing weight!

I'd been mentioning the weight loss to my doc but had so many other problems that it ended up at the bottom of the priority list....his not mine.

It got so bad I only bought 1 pr of jeans at a time....but needed new ones every few weeks.

So major diahrea (don't think I'll ever be able to spell that) and weight loss were the main symptoms yet I was dx with very low iron stores after having blood work done 3 times. After being put on iron supplements I started to gain more energy.

I'll go get this medication today, also have an eye doc appt and was dx with glaucoma a few months ago too.

I'm hoping this will help regulate the hypoglycemia symptoms since the pancreas seems to play a vital role in all of this.

As always, please NEVER ignore new symptoms and always insist on proper testing when you just KNOW there's something besides Fibro wrong with you.

Does anyone know how long before I might start to feel better? I can't believe it but I'm very excited about this new disease since there's a chance I'll feel better soon.

Hugs all,