Panic attack in stores because of being sick

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Dec 10, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Anyone else ever get a panic attack in a store because you are just so sick and afraid you'll collapse on the floor in the store?

I went to the foodstore today because it's going to snow here and I wanted to make sure I stocked up. I was flaring before I went, but I didn't realize how badly I was flaring. Once I got into the store, the chemical smells started making me sick. And I found my legs were weak walking around. I was just really sick. And I started to get a panic attack because I was afraid if I didn't hurry up and get out fast, I was going to collapse. It was awful. I was like almost crying in the store. But I did manage to finish the shopping and come home. And of course by the time I got home, I was in a massive pain flareup. I could barely walk from it. I got alittle sleep, but I'm still exhausted and just really not okay at all. This disease is so horrible. I wish people knew how bad this really is. The pain I was in when I came home was suicidal pain. It was that severe, my joints, my muscles. And the stiffness. Unreal. I usually try not to go out if I'm flaring, but I didn't have a choice this time. The weather is going to be bad for awhile.
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

no, but- last nite i went groc shopping too- and i had a problem on the way home- i got severe IBS pain and i almost pooped myself in my car. seriously. almost!!!! i was a few minutes from home when it hit- and i knew it was going to be explosive diarreah- i was driving like a maniac- and in major pain- then of course i saw a cop car- and i thought -if he puts his lights on to bust me for speeding- i was just not going to pull over- because i would have definately crapped in my car. and i dont think you can get a huge diarreah stank out of your car -ever. fortunately the cop did not try to bust me. i made it home- and ran into the bathroom (almost didnt make it). luckily my car seat, the floor of my house, and my pants made it out unscathed.

i HATE ibs.

tea- sorry for your pain. people have no idea what we go through on a daily basis!

3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've been there with the stomach problems. Awful. And if I eat something my body can't handle, it's a combo of massive vomiting and diarrhea for hours on end. And I've also been in the car and had to race home to go. Not fun.
  4. jen_miester27

jen_miester27 New Member

hi bigmama2...

boy i feel your pain...i have the same ibs problem...that is the worst pain to have it driving in the car trying to make it home...i am right there with ya! horrible!

5. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

been there, done that. Two years ago, I thought I'd go into
    Walmart's and pick up just one or two things while my SO did
    a few groceries.

I got in the first cross-aisle behind the cash registers and
    looked around...and got so confused and brain fogged and
    panicked, I DID begin crying. I did not know where to start
    looking for what I wanted, and it all overwhelmed me. I was
    in a scooter (no way would I be crazy enough to try to walk
    that big store, oh no, not me), but that made no difference at

My SO came around a corner and found be looking like a
    deer caught in headlights, crying and shaking uncontrollably.
    Of course I was taken straight home. I find if I go for ONE
    thing, fast in and out, I can handle it, but not unless I first
    stop and ask an employee exactly where the item is; then
    I make a beeline for there, not looking around at anything,
    get the item and get out fast.

I have gotten better at getting a few groceries, especially
    if they are items in the outside aisles; veggies, meats, milk,
    etc., so I try to get some of those when I feel I can, and my
    other two 'roomies' help get the others.

No one knows....

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I know all too well what IBS-D is all about and how HORRIBLE it is. I've sometimes had as little as 2 seconds notice. I sometimes would have my worst pain afterwards, like my insides were coming out (hard to explain) I'd wake up in the middle of the night almost "going". AWFUL.

I remember crying all the way home once when I had to miss a very special "event" because I was having those stomach feelings and knew better than to get stuck in a small room with nowhere to run to.
    How many times have our lives been interrupted by all this crap we deal with!

The only thing that ever helped me (no diet, no anti-diarrheals) was when I started taking Vicodin for my Fibro pain, all the sudden I became normal again! What a wonderful side effect for me. I remember telling my Dr. about it and he said he had a couple of patients who actually took a small dose for that purpose. I thought that was interesting.

Tea- I know the pain you're talking about. It's so hard to describe that kind of pain to others cause they really can't fathom it. They often don't understand just how bad it can be.
    We do!
    Hope you're feeling better!

7. onset1990

onset1990 Member

driving or having to go to the store or post office. the lights, people, everything. I feel crazy. Next day I can be completely normal. It's very weird.

Once we went to get groceries and when I was leaving the store, I thought we were in a different city I used to live in and I got very confused in the parking lot because it didn't look like where I thought I was! Early on in my CFS (20 years ago) I thought I might be losing my mind.

(I get IBS too. It goes with a flare. Sometimes certain foods bother me, then they don't!)

I should add I started taking xanax for my panic attacks several years ago. It stops a panic attack but doesn't completely stop my general anxiety.[This Message was Edited on 12/11/2009]
  8. kjade

kjade New Member

This is something I know ALL about. Been there many times. I have panic disorder that is pretty much controlled now. But there are times when fibro symptoms act up, and I start feeling terrified when I am in a public place.

I remember one time I was in a dept store shopping, and DH and kids had gone into the mall, leaving me alone. Suddenly, I got REALLY dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. I tried to walk over to the jewelry counter because I felt like I was losing my balance, and I felt like I couldn't walk right.....something felt really wrong. I got to the counter and just stood there, holding onto the counter for dear life, praying that I didn't pass out. I pretended to look at the jewelry while I waited for my family to come back. It was horrible. When they finally got back, I practically ran to the car to get out of there.

Once we left, the panic went away, but of course my fibro symptoms were way worse than they were before we got there. I spent the rest of that night (and a lot of the next day) in a lot of pain.

I have learned that I WILL be ok when I get panicky. Now, when I get symptoms in the store, I just continue about my business and I ignore the symptoms (whatever they are at the time). I keep telling myself I will be ok and nothing bad is going to happen. It really does help, because then the anxiety doesn't escalate out of control.

I have found that the lighting in the stores is what bothers me the most. Sometimes it makes me feel like I can't see straight, like I am having a seizure, or like I am walking above the floor (like I am on stilts...very weird sensation). Smells in those stores bother me too. I have found that I do much better shopping at night (like right before closing) because there aren't as many people in the store. When there are less people, I am less anxious. I wish the Drs could figure out why these situations cause our symptoms to increase. I understand the overload to our systems, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense.
  9. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi Tee!

Just wanted you to know I know EXACTLY what you mean. This happens to me too - if I am weak or sick it is just too much to have to navigate a store and shop too - I feel intense panic. I think it is a protective response - the body just doesnt want anymore stress...

I know panic and anxiety well - but with weakness or sickness - it is 100 times worse.

God Bless,

10. Empower

Empower New Member

Yes, that has happened to me b4. I get so exhausted and I'm in so much pain, I don't know how I am going to make it out of the store. Of course by then, all your muscles are tense and tight from the fear, that it just makes things worse.

It is good though that you managed to get your shopping done, and that you didn't give in to it. So bravo there

You are not alone
  11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Seems I'm in a bad flare since I went shopping. I don't know why it won't go away. I was so bad tonight that when I came into the living room to turn the tv off, I had to plant myself on the couch because I couldn't make it back to the bedroom. Took awhile. And now that I've slept, still flaring badly. Awful. Nothing really helps this but time and waiting it out. At least we know the flares don't last forever.
  12. Pookieprissyone

Pookieprissyone New Member

I get panic attacks while driving the freeway. So I avoid it when at all possible.
    Elevators, although it isn't so bad if people are there with me. High rises, like 17 stories...I had to crawl out of the elevator to the doctor's office. Not a pretty sight.

Riding with my soon-to-be ex husband will give me a panic attack, him yelling at me triggers one too.

When I get fibrofog I can't remember simple things which triggers a panic attack. I'm lost, confused and scared. My balance is also delicate, so recently I've started using a cane.
    A kid was running in the grocery store and ran into me, knocking me into some shelves. Nearly busted my arse in the middle of Kroger. Thank God, I didn't fall and wipe out whatever was behind me.
    People give me more space when I use the cane.

My symptoms fluctuate to a certain degree, but the weather is a big indicator. I can feel rain coming in two days before it reaches the Gulf Coast.

Hugs and prayers to all,