Panic Attacks - Agh!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lease79, Nov 27, 2002.

1. lease79

lease79 New Member

Well on top of everything else at the moment it appears that I am deffinately having panic attacks :(
    I am sure that I have costochondritis, as my right top side of my ribs is so sore & my entire ribcage is hot to touch :(
    Along with the GERDS I don't know whether I am coming or going & have started to have Panic Attacks.
    I wont leave the house :(
    Saw doc the other day, & has given me relaxation techniques to try for a week, if I haven't improved then he will prescribe meds at my next appointment. He is reluctant as I am now nearly 20 weeks pregnant, but I have become totally scared to leave the house.
    I have to go to Adelaide on the weekend for a birthday :(
    This is really freaking me, as I don't like leaving my driveway, let alone a two hour drive.
    I am really scared :(

Lease
  2. lease79

lease79 New Member

Well on top of everything else at the moment it appears that I am deffinately having panic attacks :(
    I am sure that I have costochondritis, as my right top side of my ribs is so sore & my entire ribcage is hot to touch :(
    Along with the GERDS I don't know whether I am coming or going & have started to have Panic Attacks.
    I wont leave the house :(
    Saw doc the other day, & has given me relaxation techniques to try for a week, if I haven't improved then he will prescribe meds at my next appointment. He is reluctant as I am now nearly 20 weeks pregnant, but I have become totally scared to leave the house.
    I have to go to Adelaide on the weekend for a birthday :(
    This is really freaking me, as I don't like leaving my driveway, let alone a two hour drive.
    I am really scared :(

Lease
  3. JP

JP New Member

I had my first one this October. Ended up in the ER...had every symptom possible from vomiting to electric shocks up and down my body. My doc said that I will never have one like it again. It was really freaky...She spent a good 40 minutes with me explaining what happened and how I might control or lessen a future attack.

I was perscribed a med to put under my tongue if I felt one coming on. I know the med makes a big difference because they gave it to me in the ER. Having it on hand is a comfort and seems to lower my anxiety around having another attack. I sure understand your fear.

Hang in there...jp
  4. Bkay

Bkay New Member

Hi,
    I have been experiecing panic attacks lately, I think can you descibe the symptons you have...It is very scarey...I am taking paxil right now I thought it was helping until I started these attacks....
    Thank you for listening...
    Bkay
  5. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

having these attacks. I was having 5-6 a day and was to the point I didn't want to get out of bed, never mind leave the house. My PCP put me on Zoloft. After 2 weeks, my attacks were fewer and farther between. She increased my dose to 100mg. All of a sudden, wham, they hit me like a ton of bricks. I would sit and wait for them to come which only made it worse! Now I am trying Paxil to see if it helps. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope you can get someone to drive you to the birthday weekend - it sounds like you could use the change of scenery and relax a little.

Good luck! Lisa
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I cannot tell you how sorry I am that you are going through this agony. I myself do not have panic attacks like you describe. However, my greatest enemy from day one with FM, has been my bouts of anxiety with it. Sometimes, a particularly painful or uncomfortable FM symptom actually pales in comparrison to the level of anxiety I start to feel with that new or recurring symptom. So while I don't have actual panic attacks, I know how you feel, out-of-control anxiety is by biggest foe.

Have you considered seeing a therapist who deals with chronic illness? I did this for awhile, when I first got FMS, and she really helped me learn to deal with the bouts of anxiety I'd feel. She totally became my advocate in learning more about FMS, even researching info for me, and helped me handle the stress around having this DD with it's mysterious symptoms. I didn't just see any old therapist, I searched for one whose whole focus was working with people who have learned they have a chronic illness, and how they can handle the fear, stress, depression, etc. around it. I only needed to see her for about a year, but she was an enormous help---and it might at least be worth a try if it helped you at least get through the remaining weeks of your pregnancy without having to take drugs that might not be best for your baby. Something to consider anyway...

I hope you find something that helps, Lease, and I will be praying you are feeling better.

Hugs,
    Pam