panic attacks + CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by missymiss, Mar 20, 2003.

1. missymiss

missymiss New Member

I was diagnosed with CFS about 7 weeks ago. 5 weeks ago I suffered my first major panic attack and nearly ended up in hospital. A week later, I suffered another milder one. Then I had another one last night, which was more severe than the last one, but not as bad as the first one. (sorry if you can't keep up with this!!)

Anyway, what I want to know is... is this anxiety? I find myself getting wound up over the stupidest things, such as distressing soap operas, or not getting phone calls replied. :s Does anxiety come with CFS? Is there anything I can take to relieve it?

I am on Cipramil anti-depressants by the way.

*missymiss*
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Go to our library here and do a search on Dr. Paul Cheney. It will bring up a list of his articles. Find the one on Klonopin and it will explain the slight state of seizure we suffer and how this causes anxiety, sleep problems, RLS, and sensory overload. It is the best explanation I have ever seen on this.

Love, Mikie
  3. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

I wonder how your cipramil is working? I finally got on xanax for my panic and phobias. It has helped me through very well. I know it is addictive, so if you are wanting to have children, probably not a great way to go. Anxiety feels like you are trapped and have no way out of feeling that way. Are you on a lot of caffeine? Good luck! Perhaps you do need to change or add some meds that would help this feeling. Bless you
  4. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

I wonder how your cipramil is working? I finally got on xanax for my panic and phobias. It has helped me through very well. I know it is addictive, so if you are wanting to have children, probably not a great way to go. Anxiety feels like you are trapped and have no way out of feeling that way. Are you on a lot of caffeine? Good luck! Perhaps you do need to change or add some meds that would help this feeling. Bless you
  5. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi missy miss,
    No youre not alone,i have CFS,FMS & loads of other related ilnesses.
    Anxiety does come with CFS,ive been diagnosed for 7years now so am living proof of that.
    I take 40mg Cipramil,& very high doses of Co-dydramol pain killer,2 8 times a day.
    You need to get a counsellor if you dont already have one.
    Im lucky mines great,you need to talk about how you feel,whats bothering you etc.
    Go to your doctor & ask to see one,itll do you good,believe me it does for me.
    Good luck.
    sharond(UK)
  6. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi missy miss,
    No youre not alone,i have CFS,FMS & loads of other related ilnesses.
    Anxiety does come with CFS,ive been diagnosed for 7years now so am living proof of that.
    I take 40mg Cipramil,& very high doses of Co-dydramol pain killer,2 8 times a day.
    You need to get a counsellor if you dont already have one.
    Im lucky mines great,you need to talk about how you feel,whats bothering you etc.
    Go to your doctor & ask to see one,itll do you good,believe me it does for me.
    Good luck.
    sharond(UK)
  7. bees

bees New Member

I've started having panic attacks since getting CFS. I think it's because of the way you lose trust in your body.

Did the anxiety attack happen after you started the cipramil? I found that when I was taking that (for anxiety and depression) after a few weeks I felt worse and have come off them.

I attended a course on CFS that taught a bit about anxiety and CFS, here's some of the things I found useful.

Place a hand on your diaphram and as you breathe in feel the diaphram rise, this helps you breathe deeply and calms you down.

Another thing that can help is to distract yourself when you start feeling panicky. Also tell yourself you have no reason to panic and you will be ok.

One more thing that helped me is to relax your shoulders regularly it can be surprising how tensed up they can get.

Hope this helps

8. GlitterPott

GlitterPott New Member

Hey you, you remember me?
    Listen hunny its normal!!! I know its hard but once you come to terms with them you will notice them disappear to just a slight uneasiness. I get them a lot around deadlines, exams etc but have learnt that if you just try to keep calm you are on the right road.
    I drink water and take off any jewelry, or get fresh air (stand by a window!!!!) listen to calm music, anything that would maker you calmer is good!
    Maybe you should consider a different tablet? I am on sertraline, its really common in younger people and has helped me so much!
    Take care of yourself and chat soon.
    Lots of love
    Shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

started having horrid attacks about 8 or so months ago.
    I thought one night I was having a heart attack it was so bad. Seems like on top of the abnormal hb's that I have & tachycardia, I also suffer from osophegal spasm, so this all contributes to the attacks.
    I ended up nearly agoraphobic. I wouldn't leave the house, unless someone made me.
    I actually left my hubby & youngest daughter in a shopping centre a couple of months ago & ran outside having an attack :(
    Thankfully they do seem to be becoming fewer & farther between ;)

Lease
  10. kats1978

kats1978 New Member

I had this problem about a year ago and if it wasn't for a friend at the time I wouldn't have thought that I could live to see the end of the day. Please talk to a doctor about this.
  11. teller7

teller7 New Member

I've had those attacks right from the beginning. I get them especially when I start to feel really weak. I'm a very tense person and I think my body just naturally takes over and gets overexcited about it. I take clonazepan that's a generic for klonopin. That medicine is for seizures. But, I take a half of one and lay down and it really helps. I told the doctor that I could stand the pain but not the weakness when it gets bad. I take it with me every time I go anywhere. Maybe you should try it.
    Carol
  12. fuzzy14

fuzzy14 New Member

you can get kavakava at wal mart for about $6.00
    will also help with sleep & restlessness
    without sedation. If that dosn't help try ST. JOHN'S WORT. IT has really helped me.

If nethier helps see your doc

FUZZY