Panic Attacks Depression Fibro???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeartsinOhio, Feb 19, 2007.

1. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

Can Panic Attacks and Depression be a part of Fibro?? I had horrible Panic Attacks in my early 20's, they were horrible. I wanted to die. I never doctored for them, I was ashamed and did not know what they were. I also have mild despression, along with all the muscle pain. I just wonder if the Panic Attacks were a warning of the Fibro to come some 25 years later? Pattie
  2. cct

cct Member

I have both CFS and Fibro. I also have anxiety/panic attacts and depression.

I had some of the anxiety and depression before I got sick with ME/CFS/FM, however these psychological conditions have gotten much worse since I contracted ME/CFS/FM.

3. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

I may be silly, but what does ME stand for? I have not had Panic Attacks for a long long time. I sure hope I don't get them again. They are one of the worst experiences of my life. Best to you and thanks for the reply. Pattie
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

yes for me they all entered my life around the same time
  5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi, I think there are many of us on the board that deal with anxiety and/or depression. I have had problems with both since my early 20's. I think the fibro set in shortly after, but I am not certain. I do not have any idea how many people deal with both fibro and anxiety/depression. That is just my personal experience.

You are lucky that you do not have to deal with panic attacks anymore. I pray that it stays that way for you. :)
    My panic attacks come and go. I can go for months without one and then have several in one week. Go figure?! Hope you are having a pain free day. Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2007]
  6. shrtcak81

shrtcak81 New Member

For me, the first thing that happened to me in my life was hypoglycemia, followed by anxiety and panic attacks. That was when I was 13. The panic attacks took over my life in my teens years. It was so bad, I started taking zoloft at 17. I'm 25 now. That drug saved my life. I hardly ever had anxiety after that. I'm kind of scared though, since I'm at the maximum dosage and I'll have to change to something else soon. Fibro started up about 3 1/2 years ago. I believe there may be some sort of connection there.

Crystal
  7. Shalala

Shalala New Member

MANY times ... I thought I was having a heart attack. I had EKGs, stress tests, numerous trips to the ER ... then I got hauled out of work by the EMTs and once again ... not my heart. Finally the DR put me on an anti-depressant and it really helped.

You may be right about the attacks being a sign of things to come ... lol.
  8. Grammcrkrs

Grammcrkrs New Member

I don't have panic attacks..but I have anxiety (to me a panic attack is like my friend has..she can't go outside, she gets all well...panicky!) ... the anxiety I have comes with a feeling like it was mentioned - feels like a heart attack.

I've been to the ER 4 times with it...hospitalized once (cause my oxygen was 70%)...had ALL kinds of tests each time, and they find nothing wrong. When they told me it was anxiety I thought they were quacks, but after reading how others have the same things going on, looks like the doctors are right.

I keep Xanax with me, just in case...it helps a lot. Ativan was given to me in the hospital, and that helped. PLus OXYGEN is what REALLY helped IMMEDIATELY. It's an awful scary feeling for sure.

..Gramms...
  9. padre

padre New Member

In my symptoms of FMS I have dizziness (like car sickness) which becomes stronger under stress. The result has been anxiety which from time to time ends up in a panic attack. It now has become a friend. I deal with it through low dose meds and have had some counseling which has been helpful. The meds and counseling were from a psychiatrist (M.D.) who works with people with FMS anad CFS. A lucky find.
  10. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Back in '94 I was assaulted and had post traumatic stress order and had horrible panic attacks and was on trazadone up until four months ago. That is when my sleeping problems aroze as my attacks were all in the night and I have never had a normal nights sleep since then. After two shoulder surgeries the fibro came out. It's the old chicken and the egg theory.
  11. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

I had to start this thread up again because I have often wondered what impact my lifetime of anxiety has had on developing FM. My axiety started around 12 years of age (right when hormones kicked in). I had the tightness in the chest a lot and couldn't get a deep breath. If I was called upon to read in class, my heart would race and my eyes would do weird things. Back then (early 1970's) not much was known or done about it. In college it was better because I was "in love" and distracted. It really wasn't until my father died when I was 22 that my life went downhill from there, migraines with my first pregnancy that lasted for 4 years, then IBS so bad and painful, I got down to 102 lbs. My marriage was suffering because of all my ailments and hubby wasn't very supportive. I can pinpoint FM developing to that time in my life when anxiety and stress were the most high! Plus, I worked in a school as an aide and was sick constantly. So, I'm wondering: could a lifetime of anxiety, stress and viruses have just taken a tole on my body and developed the FM? Now that I'm pre-menopausal the anxiety has been worse again and I take medication for it. I think hormones play a big roll. Anxiety runs in my family on both sides and my dad had a heart attack at 30 years old.
  12. woohooo

woohooo New Member

It is my personal opinion that yes, a lifetime of unremitting stress slowly chips away at our immune system. We develop allergies, catch colds, develop intestinal issues, and eventually the immune system can no longer hold up and we find ourselves face to face with fm/cfs.
    I had my first panic/anxiety attack in October. By December I had full blown fibro. If I don't learn to manage my stress better, I don't know which part of my body will be next to go....Actually, with fibro I find I don't always have the energy to get stressed out about certain things. It takes energy to get angry, and I don't have much energy left to spare....
  13. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

heartsinohio:

Panic attacks are so complicated. They can be brought on in many strange ways. I know that there are for some a stage of pre-panic (where the person knows it is on it's way).

Sometimes it may be situational: not knowing you are in an environment that may start to trigger it.

As for your question of: 'can panic attacks and depression be part of fibro'. My guess would be that depression would be, surely.

As for panic attacks it is probably best to look further into that with a qualified doctor. Many times 'panic attacks' are 'anxiety attacks'.

Just my opinion....I am sure you will get many.

And you take care of yourself, Pattie.

nyrofan