panic attacks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by winsco1, Mar 23, 2010.

1. winsco1

winsco1 New Member

Does anyone else with fibromyalgia suffer from occasional panic attacks. My Doc says its just part of the process sometimes and ups my cymbalta.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

my son has... he has Chronic Lyme, similar symptoms.
    The one thing that has been a lifesaver for him-- as he was having more than occasional anxiety attacks --was using L-Theanine (an amino acid, no side effects) - it worked for him better than anything that any doctor ever prescribed. If he stops taking it, the anxiety attacks come back.

I have used it sporadically when going thru a lot of stress & resulting anxiety and found it helped me as well. It's pretty inexpensive and might be worth a try.

all the best,
    Victoria

3. winsco1

winsco1 New Member

thank you for the advice....anything is worth a try
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

It works quickly, at least for us - within a day or 2. If you try it, let us know how it works for you?

all the best,
    Victoria

5. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Yes I have them and have had for several years . Mine has recently been really bad but I had cut my dose of xanax thinking I might not need it after being on it 10 years, but quickly found out I still very much need to take it. it is the only thing that has stopped the anxiety and panic.I have tried cymbalta but with me it auctually made my anxiety worse and getting off of it was really bad. I had horrible withdrawals. Many people find great relief im just not one of them.I have tried many antidepressants over the years but cant tolerate any of them. As long as I take my xanax as precribed I dont have any problems. Its really been a lifesaver for me. It is habit forming and would need to be slowly tapered if I were to wean off. I probabely will be on it for a long time as the anxiety/panic is just horrible. Noone knows unless they have had it. Many on this board have fibro and anxiety/panic so hopefully you will get some good responses. I hope this helps and you find something to help you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2010]
  6. winsco1

winsco1 New Member

thank you for your reply. I also have suffered from them for several years but lately it has been bad. If the increase in the cymbalta doesnt work I have to do something. May try the med that Victoria suggested. I understand you staying on the xanax if it works for you. I hope I don't have to go that route.