Panic attacks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kezza_nottm, May 10, 2003.

1. kezza_nottm

kezza_nottm New Member

Is anyone suffering Panic attacks. I have recently started to suffer from them and I am absolutely petrified of having another. I find that going out and getting fresh air helps and even talking to try to focus off the panic. Does anyone have any other suggestions for helping panic attacks?
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

I used to be so bad I was almost afraid to get into the car and drive anywhere. I made up my mind I had to get over this phobia. I started by taking a friend with me, so we could talk while I was driving and not focus on my anxiety. But, my doctor also prescried Alprazolam and it did help, My dosage was very small. I think it was more mind over matter with me, because half the time the medication couldn't have even had the time to kick in. I do know that panic attacks aren't as uncommon as I thought they were at the time. There's lots of books & other materials that might help you to help yourself get over it. I know that when I would have to go somewhere I would start dwelling on it and I was so afraid I'd have another attack, that I would end up causing myself to have one. They are miserable and really limit what we can do, I hope you can find something or someone who can help.

Dara
  3. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I have had panic attacks since I was 18 years old. The only thing that has gotten me to stop having them was to go on Paxil. It is like night and day. I can actually go out in public when the pain is under control, and not have an attack! Everyone is different, but you may want to talk to your doc about medication. Good luck!!

Kathryn
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I actually think that I've been having them since I was a small child. I ? when it started. I remember once prior to age 4 1/2 that I was lost from home. I was actually about 1/4 mile from my home, around the corner, but was just sitting there crying. The police arrived and brought me home. I don't know why I can remember that and the reason I remember the age 4 1/2 is because we moved to another town when I was that age and I remember my first day there.

Work makes me worse, getting ready for work, a party or having people over, which I rarely do because of the anxiety. Otherwise, I'm viewed as a very assertive type of person. Who knows? dolsgirl
  5. Elbryan

Elbryan New Member

A panic attack is what got my FM going about a year ago before that I hurt after physical activites that was about it, since the attack I have hurt every day. I havent had any more attacks due to the Zoloft I take. I have come close but have been able to talk myself out of them.

Goodluck
    You are in my prayers
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It has made the anxiety/panic attacks disappear. It also helps me sleep and has greatly dimished my sensory overload and tinnitus.

Love, Mikie
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Mine will start for no reason at all. I have been fighting them off for the last few days.

Its really crazy, about 3pm is when it has been starting. I go find something to do that will keep my mind focused so I don't think about it.

You are right, going outside in the fresh air does help. I will go pick the dead flowers off the jasmine bushes, and get so involved with the garden that I forget about that miserable feeling.

Taking deep breaths will help, taking magnesium, or drinking a glass of milk sometimes seems to stop them.

If all else fails, I will take a piece of Xanax, but I try not to do this unless it gets beyond my usual routines.

I never had a panic attack untill after menopause. I did not even know what people were talking about when I did hear about them.

Now I know!

Shalom, Shirl
  8. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Many of us do - it ought to be one of the symptoms for diagnosis; It's that common for us.

I also take Klonopin and it has really helped, though I still don't like getting out around crowds or loud, busy places. Restaurants and Malls are a big problem.

I have a real problem with spacial disorientation, I can't be left anywhere alone, because then I really panic. I used to know where things were instinctively and had a good sense of direction - never worried about getting lost, but not anymore.

Wishing us Well,
    Lane
  9. kezza_nottm

kezza_nottm New Member

My first panic attack happened when i was alone on my own in the house I was absolutely petrified.

Most of my panic attacks happen when i am alone but not always. I cannot stay in the house when panic starts i have to get out.

Thanks
  10. jka

jka New Member

i get them.not as bad as i use to.kava-kava helped mine.i found going outside and walking helped some.one of my docs put me on oxazepam-15 mg 2x a day-as needed.they have really made a difference!
    hope this helps.kathy c
  11. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

most of my life too. They really became unmanageable in '91 when I was using the Nicoderm patch. I was hospitalized for a week, they ran every test known to man. I ended up diagnosing myself. My doctor was too sweet of a guy to suggest to me that it was panic. I was stubbornly refusing it could be anything but heart trouble.
    So I went to my psychiatrist, she gave me many yucky things to try. All the trycyclic anti-depressants, something called Sinequan that I hallucinated from. All to no avail. All I could do was take Xanax 4 times a day. Finally 2 years later, they came out with Paxil. It was like a miracle. No more panic attacks. But now Paxil has been shown to be VERY addictive so I do not recommend it. Klonopin should help you. All the people in my panic disorder group took Klonopin and it worked wonders for them. Don't let another day go by without getting some help. It is much too hard on your body, and fries your brain. good luck, Nancy