Panic Stricken Depressed and Wiped Out, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shazz, Jun 30, 2003.

1. shazz

shazz New Member

Well guys, this is my last week of work. Four more days.
    I am now absolutely terrified. I am going from 27,000 a year to NOTHING until/if SSD comes through. Yes I know it isn't alot, but for someone with no college who lives in Rapid City , SD it is significant.
    I feel like I have given up everything.
    Panic has set in, and of course my sleeping problem has only gotten worse lately. I thought the new med, ativan, would help but guess not.
    I am taking extra B vitamins to try and keep the stress at bay.
    Did any of you start to feel better after you quit working? If I don't I am really going to slump into a depression and I am afraid I won't get out of it, ever.
    I am overwhelmed by the "what ifs".
    My brain isn't functioning, I am terrible pain, and just wanna give up. I can't think, have had dizzy spells (probably my old panic disorder tryiing to resurface)
    Any other supplements you can think of I need to be taking at this time?
    Of course thanks in advance for all of your help.
    You are the greatest bunch of people I have never met. : )
  2. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

what if's are the worst thing. since usually they don't happen...of course unless you create it. i had to quit working last nov. due to this crappy dd. i was self employed and did alot of driving but the stress got too much. i was fearful also not having the extra cash. altho i have the benefit of a hubby that works things are tough in CA. and the what the heck am i gonna do. you can only clean the kitchen sink so many times LOL. we are managing.
    how about a hobby? i make earring and love beads. altho hobbies are expensive sometimes.

i actually felt relieved after i quit. the stress of working was way too much. i take ambien/trazadone/and .25 mgs of ativan type at bed. just started this regimen and sleeping 7 hours, which is a first. also the usual pain meds daily. one other thing, not to cross the line..but for me prayer works wonders...check out the worship board. :) i need not to only depend on myself for this panic stuff and unnecessary fear that i have daily as well.
    take care.
    alice
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Yes, I felt much better after I lost my job. I kept working until I fell on the floor and had to be carried out and put in the hospital, twice! Like an idiot, I went back a third time and collapsed again.
    I think my pushing is one reason why I have such a bad case of Fibro.
    You need rest and now you will get it.
    Are you taking at least 400 mgs. Magnesium at bedtime? If not, that is important.
    Digestive enzymes with meals will also help you absorb nutrition and give you more energy.
    I am sure you are aware that it can take quite a long time for disabiltiy to come through.
    It took me 13 months from the day I filed until I won my case, and another 2 months before I got a check, and that was 17 yrs. ago!
    It's too soon to be anxious,and mamafurr is right that all the "what ifs" will drive you bananas.
    I know it's hard, but try to go with the flow.
    Klutzo
  4. franners

franners New Member

I have been off work since february. I raised two boys by myself, and put myself through college. I have had the same job for 12 years. I am not trying to be (you know Brain fart time)boastful... But to let you see I understand. I am afraid I will hurt someone if I go back. I have not even filed yet (so stupid) because of my idiot pride. Please don't do as I do. I am your "what not to do FM poster child" when it comes to this. Honey (trucker-Ron, king wanna-be, potty mouth )keeps telling me to get into his money stash. I am not use to this.
    Just remember to sit down with back straight as you can and take a deep breath with your eyes shut.
  5. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Shazz,
    Oh honey, I know how you feel. It is a huge blow to the ego when you have to throw in the towel and leave a job. Now you are faced with all new worries about how you are going to make it through. I know that when I left my job, my stress level did go down quite a bit. The money loss is pretty scary, but I have been able to make it through thanks to friends and family. Do you have anyone that can help if you get in a rut? Having back up plans is good. It an feel pretty degrading asking for help, but it is out there. I just had to ask my aunt that I haven;t talked to in years fir money the other day. Then there are possible jobs that you an get from home. You may want to look into that. I hop ethat your SSI goes through. I am waiting to hear back as well. Just remember that you will make it through. It will get better. ANd you are better off not working where you can be drained from your precious energy. It really is for the best. Keep that in mind. Good luck, stay strong, and let us know if you need any support.

Lots of love,
    Kathryn
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At first, I panicked, but I had Faith that God would provide and He has. My SSD hearing seems to be forever delayed. I keep trying to heal enough to return to work.

Try to use the time off work to rest and relax. It's something you need to do for yourself. I would have been much better of and would have probably healed much faster if I hadn't worked myself into the ground before quitting.

You are in my prayers.

Love, Mikie