Panic upon waking anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Missnae1, May 30, 2003.

1. Missnae1

Missnae1 New Member

Is this common...to wake up in a "panic" like state. This has been happening to me quite often. I seem to be sleeping soundly but as I awake I almost "bolt" upright and immediatey have what I call racing brain. Is this new to the board?
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I have experienced this. Some have suggested it is panic attacks. I really don't know.
  3. 1Candee

1Candee New Member

I believe that I've mentioned this on here before but I too go into these "states" a lot of times when I take a nap. I'll be really exhausted, sometimes scared/worried along w/ it. I lay down and just zone out with racing brain--all these disconnected thoughts going through my head. Feels like I'm awake cause I still feel my arm pain and still feel wiped out. Then like you said--something jars me awake and when that happens I always feel that I didn't get a bit of rest. Sometimes I just lay there unmoving for an hour or so with racing thoughts and know I didn't sleep and it's a horrible feeling--kind of a trance-like state---hard to describe. There is a name for this b/c I've remembered others mentioning it. Must be just a part of our symtomology. Good post, Cat
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have lived with what you described for half my life. I will come out of a deep sleep, and be totally wide awake, it feels like you were hit with a bolt of lighting!
    I don't have to be sleeping long, sometimes it would be an hour or even half an hour.

Its not like you are afraid, its more like you were startled by something, but having three dogs in the house, most of the time in the bed with me and they are sleeping, its not a noise or anything, or they would be barking.

I take Xanax for this at nightime to go to sleep. But in the morning I do wake up with thoughts racing through my mind, or I wake up 'angry' at anyone and everyone!

The doctor I went to years ago, called it 'racing brain', but the strange awaking I don't know. I guess if I told a doctor about that they would probably lock me up.

Klutzo can explain it very well, it has something to do with our brains not 'firing' right or something like that.

Lately I have been better. At least I am not so angry! My poor husband would not dare tell me anything in the moring untill I have a cup of coffee and am 'normal' (as he calls it) my children used to keep their distance too when they were home.

It is a mysterious feeling, and I do not have an answer for the reason behind it.

It seems the magnesium has helped me a great deal with this. At least it only happens sometimes now instead of all night long and every morning like before.

Let me know if you find anything about this, I am as curious as you are.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 05/30/2003]
  5. lot57

lot57 New Member

i have had this ,
    it is a wierd feeling, klonopin has helped alot with this problem.
    although when i'm in a high stress phase it seems to come back , but not as bad as before the medication, meaning... i feel strange but at least my heart doesnt start racing.
    hope you get some relief somehow, it's a terrible feeling

[ advertisement ]