Paper Shredders?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Apr 1, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Wondering if anyone uses these and how important you think they are?,,,,,I just wore one out and need to get a new one=====I had my Idenity Abused once years ago! and have had one every since,,,,,,,Opinions Welcome!
  2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I shred anything that has my name and address on it. I rip off the page from catalogs, magazines, junk mail and shred it. I hate living in a world where this is necessary, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Elaine is right about getting one that does the criss cross cuts. I have heard it is almost impossible to piece those documents together.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi,,,,you funny girl Elaine!,,,,,,lolol
    Yes i've seen the new ones on HSN that do that cross shredding!,,,,sounds like a great idea to get a new one of these!,,,,,Junk mail,,,,Credit Card approvles,,,,,,Bud like you say the magazine address lables and also when i get a package from e-bay i tear my address off of that and shred it too!

The reason i bring it up is because this gal said to me the other day,,,,"you don't need one of those because you id is out there anyway and people can get it easily if they want to!"

But then i said "what about the Dumpster Diver guys that can put it all back togeather and just use your ID?" ,,,,,,,,,,And she said,,,"That rarely ever happens,,Because it's to risky and to much trouble"

Well like you say i would rather be safe than sorry!!,,,,,,,,,Sis
  4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I shred everything that has my address, phone number, account numbers, etc..... I definetly think they are very important. You could probably get a cheap one at Wally World (WAl-mart).
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

It's more yea than nea!,,,,,but it really bothers me when i see the kids just rip stuff up and throw it in the garbage can!,,,,

They don't seem to be in fear of any ID theft!,,,,,,I've said "Please use a paper shredder" and they just look at me like "Mom i don't have time for that",,,,,

jam~~~i understand your outlook completley also!,,,it's just another trip to the garbage,,,,,,,,Sis
  6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I agree, some people don't need them, but you are right Sis, identity theft is a big problemo, unfortunately. Also wanted to let you know, mine was about $20.00 and I have had it for about 10 years and it hasn't jammed or broke once. I will try and remember to look tonight what kind it is.

7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Even junk mail that says "Resident" and our address. We just tear our the address portion and shred that little bit of paper. If we shred the whole lot, the shredder would fill up too quickly. We even tear off the labels from catalogs and shred.

We also shred prescription labels and any receipts that may have our names or account numbers (once they have cleared the credit card bill).

Paranoid? Maybe. Careful? Definitely.
  8. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

My husband bought a new shredder about two months ago from Staples. I believe it was $79. but had a 40. rebate. The rebate slip had info to fill out on line and the check came quickly.

The shredder can do something like 8 sheets at a time with staples still attached, also has a slot to shred credit cards or CD's.

Several years ago we had our bag of "paper stuff" stolen from our garbage pile. Why would anybody want our old mail other than for devious purposes.

****** in addition to being careful with mail, I now hook my purse in the child seat of a grocery cart as several women had purses stolen recently. Thanks to video cameras they were apprehended.

A shame we all must be so guarded, but there is crime in small towns as well as big cities. Always somebody ready to take advantage.

Smart to beware.
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

for your input!,,,,sounds like a P.S. is still a great idea! I'm definetly going to replace my old one (From Wally World) it was a cheap 10.00 one but lasted me for about 4 years,,,,,

i'll just get a more exspensive one this time!,,,,,,,,Again Thanks for all your opinions!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope you all are having a great evening!,,,,,,S
  10. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I have one. Mine's an Aurora. I must confess I don't use it as often as I should. This thread is a good reminder to stay safe. We are living in dangerous times. It's very hard to totally protect ourselves from ID Theft, but shredding is one simple step we all can take to help ourselves. Thank you for posting this thread.