paradoxical reaction to codeine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justdifferent, Feb 4, 2009.

1. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I've noticed that if I take codeine or one of the synthetic forms of codeine, not only do I get pain relief, but fatigue lifts. So much so that I can't sleep! I am also able to think more clearly.

Most people get groggy and sleepy if they take codeine, but I have read somewhere (I think here?) that codeine helps concentration in people with CFIDS/ME. Certainly relieving chronic pain would remove that distraction and impediment, but I can't think why codeine would (at least in me) relieve fatigue.

Anyone else?

2. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Whenever I take my Vicodin 10mg/325mg they always give me a surge of energy. I still have the pain but I can work through it much better. I've actually talked to quite a few people that this happens to.

Also just happened to my boyfriend. He is scheduled for knee surgery and he is still working. He could hardly walk by th time he got home so I gave him one of my pain pills and a big bag of ice. He was wide awake and said he still felt all the pain and the ice worked more than the Vicodin. Needless to say, he was up half the night because the Vicodin made him wired.
  3. loto

loto Member

i also take vicodin, and it gives me energy, helps me concentrate, and gets me motivated to do tasks I normally don't feel like doing. My family hates it that i take so much of it, but it's the only thing that keeps me going and getting out of bed every day! we have to do what we have to do!