Parking placard

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caperkat, Apr 14, 2006.

1. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I'm going to my rheumy next week to see if I can get a temp parking placard for those occasions when I have trouble walking, especially for places like the mall, where parking is very outlying.

I had gotten one once from my family practice Dr. once a few years ago, but then she wouldn't renew it, saying I should get the exercise. I tell ya, I won't get any excercise if I sit home because I can't continue the walking once inside the doors.

Has anyone had trouble getting one?

kat
  2. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

was very understanding. i even brought in a drawing showing him where I live (in an apt) and how far i had to walk to and from the car to the apt....using a cane or cart with groceries and 2 kids in tow. He gladly did mine and made it permanent. In fact, it just came today. But I've been noticing, there are LOTS of people using placards and the handicap spaces at full every time i go somewhere. i think places like grocery stores, walmart, target, etc need to add MORE spaces.
  3. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I got mine about 2 months ago and it is a permanent one. I don't use it all the time though only when I know that I will have a hard time walking the distance.

I think you should shoot for the permanent one. I had no problem getting the paper work completed by my rheumy.

I just told about how I'm having a hard time walking distances.

He also knows that my legs and fatigue are one of my main complaints along with arms,shoulders and back.

Hopefully your rheumy will understand what you have to go though when you have to walk distances.

Jake
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

getting one. At first my doctor okayed a temporary one, but after several times of having to renew it, he was agreeable that I should have a permanent one. I don't use it all the time, but it is so nice to have.

Ellen
  5. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

A placard which I keep in my glove compartment in case I ride with someone else. My PC filled out the paperwork the first time I asked him. In Tenn, you have to reapply every 2 or three yrs, I think.

Suzette
  6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I just got mine. I have only used it once. I really need it. What I really need is for stores to have seats. I rarely am able to shop. The other day I had to go into a department store and I had to set on their displays. I just moved the shirts over and set there until I could move again. It should be embarrassing but it's better than hitting the floor.
  7. caperkat

caperkat New Member

jake, i hadn't thought of a permanent placrd, but that makes sense, since this doesn't go away. So far, it has gotten gradually worse.

kat
  8. caperkat

caperkat New Member

1sweetie, I've actually thot about taking along one of those lightweight portable chairs that come folded up in a bag, for those occasions when I'm standing in line. If I had to I'd just plop myself down on the floor & then get up & move, up & down, scoot, scoot...

kat
  9. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

Hello Caperkat,

Don't you wish you could attach some cement blocks to your pcps legs, and see how she can walk!

Sorry, I can not understand how a doctor can do this. Then again, I went through a simular instance when a prior Pcp was a non-beleiver of this dd.

Hope you have better luck with your Rheumie!

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
  10. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I just found your reply. The sound of a portable chair in a bag is wonderful. I probably could not carry it but my DH or daughter might do that for me.

Where do I find one???
  11. jake123

jake123 New Member

If the placard says permanent but the date is 2007 is that the date that you have to get a new placard or do you have to get the doctor to sign for another one??
  12. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

It was good for 3 months. I've since had another back surgery, have the collapsed disc, chronic fatigue & fibro/ sjogrens. When I asked my pain doctor's nurse to talk to him about signing off for it, he refused! (And I'm on Social Security Disability) Can they do that legally? Because I forgot to have her tell him that, but I would think that was in my chart...I don't know if my GP would or not. I think they think as long as you can walk, then you should be able to walk in the store. well 1, when I didn't feel I needed it, I left it for old people or people in wheelchairs, etc, or canes. But after I've had to walk in Wal-Mart for 3 hrs getting grocerys, it's about all I can do to stand in line waiting to get checked out. If he won't sign off, I'm screwed! What then? Good luck w/ your's!
  13. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

no trouble getting mine. My doctor signed the form right away. I would shoot for getting the permanent one if you can then there is no need to renew and you only have to discuss it once with the doctor.
  14. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

gave me the placard. I keep it in my glove box in case Im going to ride with someone else. I really need the handicap parking now that I depend on a cane and like "cow tipping" I can just tip over at any time.

What makes me really mad is when you start looking at the placards on many of the cars parked in handicap and they expired yrs ago. Some even white out the date and put their own. Then the person jumps out of the car and runs into the store and Im parked at the back of the lot and worn out by the time I get to the door and they are finished and running back to their car. Ive had to leave several times because I cant walk long distances.

Suzette
  15. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

my rhuemy wouldn't give me one...........jerk
  16. my rhuemy wouldn't give me one either, he says fibro people don't meet the standards. HUH!?
    The only time I got one is after surgery from other drs. not him, he is also a jerk but a good dr. so?
  17. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My hubby got a permanent one when he had his leg amputated (wears prosthesis) years ago. He also got a placard so that we could use it when with family.

KY wouldn't accept it when they lived there.
    Try to get both.

Good luck

Joan
  18. jake123

jake123 New Member

So in February, 2007, I just show up at the Subcourthouse and show my placard again and get a new one? It was originally given to me by the doctor that diagnosed me with polymyositis.

The chump I am going to now prescribes Visine for pink eye, cranberry juice for bladder infection- I had to go back three times! for a prescription, and Tylenol for pain. He would never sign off on my placard. He is a real schmuck.

I don't use mine regularly but I have BAD days, sometimes WEEKS. It does make a difference. Like Kat, I can walk to a couple of stores if I don't have to walk very far to park.
  19. namow

namow New Member

What is the difference between those two?
    My doctor checked in the paper to get the red one!
  20. namow

namow New Member