Parkinson’s Drug Beneficial for FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 12, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Parkinson’s Drug Beneficial for FM?

The August issue of Arthritis and Rheumatism published a study investigating the effects of pramipexole, a drug normally used to treat Parkinson’s disease, on FM.

Pramipexole stimulates dopamine production by binding to dopamine receptor sites, and is thought to inhibit sensory nerve-mediated responses.

More than 40 percent of participants receiving pramipexole, rather than a placebo, reported at least a 50 percent reduction in pain.

Though many Parkinson’s patients experience hallucinations and sleep attacks while taking the drug, participants in this study did not.

Study authors Andrew J. Holman and Robin R. Meyers describe this investigation’s results as “offer[ing] hope to patients with fibromyalgia.”

For more information: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/journal/arthritis

2. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

If this is the same drug as Mirapex, it helps with Restless Leg Syndrome. That in turn helps you sleep, and thus helps the pain and stiffness of fibro. I take it. It hasn't helped my pain at all, but does help me sleep better.

BxGirl
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

to see if anyone else has anything to add.
  4. Musica

Musica New Member

And while the result was reduction in pain (and there still needs to be a lot more research), what Mirapex is really meant to do is allow better sleep. It's not a sleeping pill or pain pill, but as you know, better (deeper) sleep helps pain. Dr. Holman is my rheumatologist and I am very excited about what he has been doing to further the treatment of FM.
  5. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I've taken Mirapex for several years for Periodic Limb Movement, which is Restless Leg Syndrome on steroids. I can't say whether it helps with pain. I just realized I have Fibro and have had it for years. Self-diagnosed, then I told the MD, so he could write prescriptions and send me to PT. What's funny to me is that I've been treating the symptoms separately with many drugs mentioned in this message board. Besides Mirapex, I've been taking Cymbalta for depression, every PM type otc drug there is for sleep and several years ago I bought Bach Flower Remedies for handling stress and fatigue. I'm glad to finally have it all put together in one messy package called Fibromyalgia. I'm sad to realize what I'm in for.

Francie
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Me and another chronic pain sufferer (male) both tired unsuccessfully. Made him worse, didn't do bubkus for me. though I've been a fidgiter all my life, don't seem to have true RLS. Hopng the dopamine agonist aspect of drug woould be good for me, wasn't though.

Jeanne
  7. Musica

Musica New Member

if dose plays a big part in whether it helps FM. Obviously, not everyone is going to be helped, but it seems like I read about more people it has NOT helped. Who has it helped, or not, and at what dose? I don't know what the normal dose for Restless Legs is, and if this is a much higher dose. I think in the study they worked up to 4.5mg or something like that.