Parkinson Disease and Fibro/cfids

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Oct 3, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I recently posted about About tremors and such. I just got back from the Dr. It was a followup call. I had a MRI and blood/urine tests.

He thinks I have PD. Actually my DH and I also think so. Otherwise My MRI and blood/urine tests was very good! I said..."How can I be so healthy and be so sick"!

I am 67 yoa (years of age) yet there were no lesions that showed up? I thought they were common place after a certain age and where in brain and such
    showed if this should be of concern or not.

GET THIS: I said, Okay, where do we go from here. He is giving me SINAMET? (can not read his writting). I asked if it caused any haluations (spelling?) or such and he thought that was a strange question. I explained that I have heard that some PD meds do. He said NO, it will not.

I said...more tests? He said there was not any tests for PD. just clinical observations.

Another disease that there is no test for? Hey. I need help understanding all of this. I am also posting on the Parkinson board shortly.

My Mom had Parkinsons and yet I am not sure what to expect.How quick does it progress and all?

ANY help appreciated. Blessings...........Susan
  2. jennbug

jennbug New Member

Sinemet does cause hallucinations. Be careful with the dosage. It isn't scary if you know what it is before hand. I have had them at night woke me up. Don't know much about parkinsons but know that I feel much better now after starting the sinemet. love jenn.
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

Pharmacist told me that it can cause it also, but that it is rare. I talked to him about it.

I just took my first one. Hubby at home and I wanted to start out with someone around.

Is there a certain Dr. or such that I should see? Is there any tests to confirm that it is PD? Since I have CFIDS and FIBRO I just do not trust any diagnois fully. Been through so much with it, about 20 yrs. of it!

I feel upbeat really. Been talking and laughing with all and maybe later, but for now I am okay with it.

Thanks.....Hugs........Susan
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This isn't definitive but it can help with diagnosis. Get a sample of your handwriting from a couple of years ago. Even your signature on checks or other paperwork will do. Compare the size of your writing then to your handwriting now. If it is now smaller, it could indicate PD. I used to date a man with it and that was how they finally made the diagnosis. I hope you do not have it.

Love, Mikie
  5. cct

cct Member

Many people with cfs/fm have tremors and spasms. You may be exhibiting these physical symptoms just like other cfs/fm people.

It is my understanding that the test for parkinson's is a person's response to sinamet (sp?). I heard that if the sinamet stops the tremors then it is more likely that you have parkinson's.

I do not really know.

My MRI is clean and I get tremors all the time. I have seen 5 neurologists and not one of them has ever suggested that I have parkinson's!

Try to take things slow and easy to see what develops. Try to find a neurologist that specializes in movement disorders. They will know what to look for.

best wishes,

carron

6. sues1

sues1 New Member

It could be PD )parkinson disease). I would have a Dr. look at you. I also had time I did not shake for a while and then it would start again. Stress, Physical or mental adds to it for sure.

I have more of weakness all of the time. My leg jerking woke me up last night. I sort of lean more now to the right and it is easy to lose my footing on the right side.

I do not have it real bad.......yet. I figure that the quicker I do get on meds and learn what to do, I will be better off.

I am thinking of lowering my bed and doing some things to make it easier and safer for me around here.

Mikie I just read on a Parkinson site that small writting (when you did not before) is one indication. Actually I am writting bigger, I use to write small. But it is as if my hand takes a life of its own and it is hard to control and write where it can be read.

Ybirdsfly you and your mother sounds like a cls act. Give her a hug for me. You are a good daughter. Thanks for your help.

cct
    You are right on what you wrote. I think you should ask a Dr. to consider that you might have PD. Good Luck.

Thanks and blessings everyone........Susan
  7. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I get violent spasms that are called myclonis. My doc says he still wants me to go see a neurologist because he doesn't know what's causing them (I told him many people with CFS get them).

I told him I was glad he didn't mention the "P" word (parkinsons) he said my arms weren't stiff, and that parkisons usually starts in the limbs, and not in the neck, back, stomach like mine.

I recommend neurologists!
  8. sues1

sues1 New Member

My researching and also speaking to ones with PD I have always been told to see a neurologist........

Blessings.......Susan
  9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I haven't "talked" to you since you got back from your

trip to see your BF. Sorry that you had such an uncom-

fortable time. Hope you are better now!

Do you get those spasms when you are fully awake. I get

them also but when asleep or "falling" off to sleep.

Interested in how you are feeling.

You take care Bubbles!
    JOE aka MRDAD
  10. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

My convulsions are only while awake.
    Nice to see you Mrdad
  11. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I shake too. Tremble I guess it the better word...or maybe even vibrate.

My muscles frequently feel like they are vibrating. On my worst days I have period where it becomes visible. Originally it was just my hands, then I noticed my legs. I was laying in bed the other night and didn't even feel like I was trembling, my husband asked if I was shivering...came over to cuddle and warm me up, I told him I was not cold and he asked me why I was trembling. Poor man. He is so good about this damn illness. I rolled my eyes in disgust and said in a nasty tone "I have NO idea!"

I swear. I know he's not, but when he notices my symptoms I feel like he's picking on me. I know it's just me and that after I get over that feeling I realize I'm really thinking "another (insert foul language here) symptom".

Joann