Parotid Gland Swelling? Anyone ever have this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by knickelson23, Sep 23, 2006.

1. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

I have had an enlarged gland for quite some time now. It's located between my lower jaw bone and my ear. Sort of lower than the ear and slightly higher than my jaw bone. It's a little painful if you push on it just the right way. I don't think it's a stone in my parotid gland. It doesn't feel hard. Just a fleshy feeling. I noticed it last winter, but it wasn't quite as big and I thought maybe it was moreso my imagination. So I just put it out of my mind. But now it seems to have gotten bigger. I have an appt. with my ENT this coming Monday. I'm worrying myself sick. I blame everything on my Fibro so I'm hoping it's just "one of those wierd symptoms". Anyone else ever have this?
  2. jinlee

jinlee Member

My brother and myself both have swollen parotid glands with fm-like symptoms. Our rheumatologist thinks we have sjogrens. You can look it up on the net and see the symptoms. I will find out wednesday more about this.
    Actually I did not know I had swollemn parotid glands until the doc said I did and then I could feel them hurting at times.

One just never knows what new symptom will pop up, always a surprise.
  3. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. I will look up info on Sjorgens. The swelling is just on the left side. I'll be glad to see the Doc on Monday to get some peace on mind. Hopefully it's nothing!!! Karen
  4. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I too had parotid stones or first the swelling of the gland, then as time went on, the gland gets bigger and bigger as the the Dr. said, as its working its way out of your system. I do know what you could try and this is what I did too..

Push upward with your hand against the gland and push hard toward your upper face, while your doing this, look into your mouth and see the tiny hole where the saliva comes out. Its just a little towards the back of your mouth where you can see the tiny hole inside of your cheek, almost by the cheek bone, if you don't know that already. But this is what I did and little bits of stone started to come out until I saw the Dr. and he did further testings to find out if there were anymore larger stones in the gland...which there were and proceeded to do a simple surgery to remove them.

I do know by the time the stones started to work their way out, my glands had gotten so large, it must of looked like I had a small football in there...not a pretty site at all and very painful too. You yourself shouldn't beable to naturally feel the stone unless it is huge, but it did feel mushy like your explaining. So, thats why I thought I would write this to tell you what I thought, or give my two cents worth...thats about all I can afford right now anyhoo!! LOL!!

I hope everything comes out alright for you, and good luck with the testings or what they may find...it better be great news and hopefully this too shall pass...no pun intended....hehehehe...
    Hugs,
    Shelby